The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jake Virtanen signs with Visp EHC (Switzerland)

On 2/12/2023 at 3:14 AM, spook007 said:

75%...?
doubt that...

As far as I remember, the vast majority wanted Nylander or Ehlers (I wanted Ehlers)....

Ehlers and Nylander being "undersized" also got far overblown that draft. People were treating them like they were 5'8". Both were measured at 5'11" at the combine and Nylander actually won both the average power and peak power tests.

They were both a little skinny (Ehlers was top 10 in lowest body fat %) and slightly under the average NHL height, but they definitely weren't the midgets many tried to claim they were. I was originally leaning towards Nylander that draft before Snypers sold me on Ehlers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Ehlers and Nylander being "undersized" also got far overblown that draft. People were treating them like they were 5'8". Both were measured at 5'11" at the combine and Nylander actually won both the average power and peak power tests.

They were both a little skinny (Ehlers was top 10 in lowest body fat %) and slightly under the average NHL height, but they definitely weren't the midgets many tried to claim they were. I was originally leaning towards Nylander that draft before Snypers sold me on Ehlers.

That's prime example of why it's best to draft for skill at the top of the draft.  I was heavily favouring Nylander in that draft.  I just feel like big guys like Virtanen use their size on the smaller players in the CHL to dominate.  What happens when you take away that advantage?  What's left?  Unless there's a lot of skill under that size, you better be weary of what you have.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Good call amigo...

yes Snypers totally sold me on Ehlers as well, and he was spot on...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Jake's journey in Europe continues as he signed with the German Team Fishtown Penguins.

Fishtown Penguins Bremerhaven a german team that plays in the DEL, Germany's top league signed Jake Virtanen. Headline from one report was : Penguins sign controversial player Jake Virtanen. Just watched the highlights of the team I cheer for the Nürnberg Ice Tigers with headcoah Tom Rowe. Ice Tigers played the Penguins on Sunday and the video showed Jake sitting in press box. ::D

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Haha 2

On 2/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, HKSR said:

That's prime example of why it's best to draft for skill at the top of the draft.  I was heavily favouring Nylander in that draft.  I just feel like big guys like Virtanen use their size on the smaller players in the CHL to dominate.  What happens when you take away that advantage?  What's left?  Unless there's a lot of skill under that size, you better be weary of what you have.

Jake was a bit of a special case imho, and so he may be a bit of an outlier in the size vs skill debate.  

By special case I mean… The physical toolbox was pretty incredible. The mental one on the other hand… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Jake's journey in Europe continues as he signed with the German Team Fishtown Penguins.

Fishtown Penguins Bremerhaven a german team that plays in the DEL, Germany's top league signed Jake Virtanen. Headline from one report was : Penguins sign controversial player Jake Virtanen. Just watched the highlights of the team I cheer for the Nürnberg Ice Tigers with headcoah Tom Rowe. Ice Tigers played the Penguins on Sunday and the video showed Jake sitting in press box. ::D

To be fair the Fishtown Penguins is a pretty great name.  I dug their collaboration album with the Boomtown Rats in the 80s.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Being from Erlangen I also used to watch the Ice Tigers a bit before moving to Finland. Die Welt ist ein Kaff...

On 2/12/2023 at 2:29 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is just the biggest "I told you so" that keeps on giving. I remember the draft thread blowing off, maybe 75% of CDC wanted Virtanen drafted and I was one of the few rooting for the Euro-softies Nylander or (less so) Ehlers.

It's just fun to look back now and see where these other guys are. Nylander has 61 points in 54 games with Toronto. Sure, their offence is inflated, but a big reason why is Nylander. His cap hit? The same as Boeser's...

Ehler's been banged up but he's over a PPG this year too and again, cap hit of 6M.

Looking back at the 2014 draft players were taken all over the place so it's not just JB's fault. Draisaitl at 3rd overall taken after Reinhart is probably the worst one. Kevin Fiala taken right after Nick Ritchie. Michael Dal Colle had some rediculous hype and was taken just before Virtanen. A re-draft of the 2014 draft probably sees the most players move around, I don't think any of the top-20 were picked in the right order. Pastrnak was taken right after we took McCann. What a mess of a draft.

Anyway, good to see we've been just 1 pick off a team with Nylander and Tkachuk playing with Pettersson. Would have been the NHL's best line for a solid decade. I know you can't play the "what if" game, but we're talking about just 1 pick difference here.

This is one of the biggest pieces of revisionist history that goes on on this board. There are so many people back-batting themselves for being in the minority of people who wanted Virtanen. 

All I remember is virtually all of CDC clamoring for one of Ehlers or Nylander (mostly Ehlers). 

• Cheers 1