The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruce Boudreau on the hot seat?

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Nah. This is on Allvin for doing nothing with the team he inherited.

he inherited capped crap with no depth or prospects 

The options are still limited especially with an owner that won’t allow a rebuild. 

Nothing like adding kuz mik lazar Joshua aman all upgrades over the players they replace or should have replaced.

pearson should have been gone aswell as a couple other but it’s probably tough to trade trash without paying see Dickenson. 

its still FA/ JBs stupidity that put us here he was a terrible GM. I don’t know if Alvin and his chipmunks are the crew to get it done but getting rid of the moron JB was the first step. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Nah. This is on Allvin for doing nothing with the team he inherited.

Lol no it’s on Benning this is 95% Bennings team and mess. Mikheyev and Kuzmenko have been great, Lazar, Joshua have been solid the only whiff so far was Stillman but that was the cost of getting rid of overpaid Benning dud here Dickinson. 

But, please keep your head in the sand it is entertaining at least. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

So, given Bruce's style of coaching and the way this team is constructed, it's crystal clear that our offense and goaltending need to compensate for our deficiencies on D in order to win. 

It's not rocket science. The way this team is constructed, the only shot we have at winning (from the win now, compete this season) is reliant on great goaltending and outscoring the opposition. 

Trying to get Bruce to coach for a more defensively systems/structured game isn't going to work. It really is a matter of our D needs to be as good as it can be to stay in games so our offense and goaltending will win games. 

After Demko's showing against LA, it's crystal clear. Our goalies need to be great first and foremost or we're done. 

Bruce even said as much last year in several pre/post game pressers. This is what they need to do in order to win. So, from the perspective of win now with what we have, management should be supporting Bruce and giving him the freedom to coach at his best. If management is serious about winning this season - which I do question - then they should be going all in on what works and what worked last year. Bruce only has this season remaining.

In saying all that, I'm not saying this is the right strategy for the future but imo it's the only way we're winning this season the way the team is constructed. We have to let Bruce be Bruce.

To me, it seems like JR wanted Bruce to be something he's not rather than giving his coach the freedom to continue winning the way he knows how as coach. After the turnaround and the run we had last season, why in the world would Rutherford/Allvin NOT want to support their coach to do the same thing in his final contract year. That still really bugs me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So, given Bruce's style of coaching and the way this team is constructed, it's crystal clear that our offense and goaltending need to compensate for our deficiencies on D in order to win. 

It's not rocket science. The way this team is constructed, the only shot we have at winning (from the win now, compete this season) is reliant on great goaltending and outscoring the opposition. 

Trying to get Bruce to coach for a more defensively systems/structured game isn't going to work. It really is a matter of our D needs to be as good as it can be to stay in games so our offense and goaltending will win games. 

After Demko's showing against LA, it's crystal clear. Our goalies need to be great first and foremost or we're done. 

Bruce even said as much last year in several pre/post game pressers. This is what they need to do in order to win. So, from the perspective of win now with what we have, management should be supporting Bruce and giving him the freedom to coach at his best. If management is serious about winning this season - which I do question - then they should be going all in on what works and what worked last year. Bruce only has this season remaining.

In saying all that, I'm not saying this is the right strategy for the future but imo it's the only way we're winning this season the way the team is constructed. We have to let Bruce be Bruce.

To me, it seems like JR wanted Bruce to be something he's not rather than giving his coach the freedom to continue winning the way he knows how as coach. After the turnaround and the run we had last season, why in the world would Rutherford/Allvin NOT want to support their coach to do the same thing in his final contract year. That still really bugs me.

Totally agree except for Bruce is not JR’s coach.  Bruce is our owner’s hire.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree except for Bruce is not JR’s coach.  Bruce is our owner’s hire.  

We all know JR approved of Bruce early in the process before he took the job. So to me it's a moot issue. Imo, he shouldn't have taken the job if he didn't support the coach upfront who was JUST hired for two seasons.

So, rather than support his coach for the next couple of seasons, his coach who basically pulled off a miracle of a turnaround, and actually got the team winning, JR actually chose to be more divisive, less supportive, and critical. Still rubs me the wrong way.

12 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This dude doesn't deserve to return. He did nothing about the guy who was abused. Didn't help him - swept everything under the rug. You want this guy to fix our team that has accountability issues?

As i recall Quennville had nothing to do with the at situation, was never admonished or included in any allegations. He was a part of the Chicago group over all for sure but jusst think if every one in an office were fired for one persons indiscretion, heck that might be you :rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, gurn said:

coach Q wanted the story/issue buried, until after the Cup finals.

Showed a complete lack of understanding of the severity of what happened.

More concerned about winning an award than  for an abused human.

Not whatI heard

• RoughGame 1

31 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Not whatI heard

When I heard of this incident I was extremely sad and angry and so I'll temper myself and just add quotes from the report that the Blackhawks commissioned:

(https://jenner.com/system/assets/assets/11549/original/Report to the Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Team - October 2021.pdf)

image.png.f11a04493e824f3ab9c1272f756f0515.png

image.png.501cb639c9f0749817aec2be060c9743.png

And of course from Quennville himself:

image.png.6994aa274e20c984691e6ad4cd46e65c.png

I admire Quennville for owing up to his failure but there was absolutely a failure here to put his players over success. Perhaps he has changed and deserves a second chance. The same may apply to Crawford for his horrible actions with Sopel. But others do not forgive easily and I understand that too.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, gurn said:

coach Q wanted the story/issue buried, until after the Cup finals.

Showed a complete lack of understanding of the severity of what happened.

More concerned about winning an award than  for an abused human.

Q should never coach in this league again. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, combover said:

The options are still limited especially with an owner that won’t allow a rebuild. 

Nothing like adding kuz mik lazar Joshua aman all upgrades over the players they replace or should have replaced.

pearson should have been gone aswell as a couple other but it’s probably tough to trade trash without paying see Dickenson. 

its still FA/ JBs stupidity that put us here he was a terrible GM. I don’t know if Alvin and his chipmunks are the crew to get it done but getting rid of the moron JB was the first step. 

I don't see how this follows

If it was Aqua and Benning before, I do not see why you now blame Benning

Now its Aqua and Alvin

If Benning was in a bad spot because there was trouble with Aqua, Alvin is in the same spot

At this point, anyone coming into this situation who does not require autonomy, is just here for the pay cheque

or they are as stupid as ol Jimmer

If Dickie was in fact replaced, he was replaced by Dries... let that sink in

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

I don't see how this follows

If it was Aqua and Benning before, I do not see why you now blame Benning

Now its Aqua and Alvin

If Benning was in a bad spot because there was trouble with Aqua, Alvin is in the same spot

At this point, anyone coming into this situation who does not require autonomy, is just here for the pay cheque

or they are as stupid as ol Jimmer

If Dickie was in fact replaced, he was replaced by Dries... let that sink in

Benning assembled this club,cap this team,out acquired old over paid vets impossible to move at the cost of picks and prospects let more  prospect leave for nothing and kept plug veterans..  
Lazar is an upgrade over Dickenson or lammiko 

dries wasn’t suppose to be on the team but miller got paid (bad call by FA/PA) and now forgot how to play Center. 
dries is a prime example of how crappy a team JB left behind. so  8 years of sucking gave us as depth yeah great drafting/developing lol. 

if this club has the same issues in a year then its on PA. I remember people still trying to blame Gillis right up till Dim Jim got the well deserved and over due axe. It’s been less than a year since the idiot was fired it’ll take more than 12 months to undo 8 years of stupid. 

FA is defiantly the underling problem since we continually see the same issues but I’m still holding out hope that JR and PA aren’t  spineless yes man puppet fools like JB was. 

Only time will tell. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, combover said:

3 hours ago, combover said:

Benning assembled this club,cap this team,out acquired old over paid vets impossible to move at the cost of picks and prospects let more  prospect leave for nothing and kept plug veterans..  
Lazar is an upgrade over Dickenson or lammiko 

dries wasn’t suppose to be on the team but miller got paid (bad call by FA/PA) and now forgot how to play Center. 
dries is a prime example of how crappy a team JB left behind. so  8 years of sucking gave us as depth yeah great drafting/developing lol. 

if this club has the same issues in a year then its on PA. I remember people still trying to blame Gillis right up till Dim Jim got the well deserved and over due axe. It’s been less than a year since the idiot was fired it’ll take more than 12 months to undo 8 years of stupid. 

FA is defiantly the underling problem since we continually see the same issues but I’m still holding out hope that JR and PA aren’t  spineless yes man puppet fools like JB was. 

Only time will tell. 

Here is the thing

I disagree with your first quote

but agree with your second

except for the second half of the last line

what makes you think Alvin and JR are not spineless yes men?

I am not sure Lazar and a 2nd round pick are worth more than Dickie

even if I agree Dickie played poorly last year

and Miller and Boeser are overpriced vets that belong on Alvin's resume

I agree it will take more than one year to fix

but I do not see enough value from the moves made in that first year

As much as I didn't like Ol Jimmer, and I am well documented on my distain of him

He did leave the team better than he inherited it

Miller, Petey, Bo (matured) Boeser, Demko, Garland and Hughes are worth more than what Jim inherited

Leaving OEL is about as bad as leaving 1 Sedin

NOw Alvin comes in to that lot and reduces the Value of Miller and Boeser compared to what they could be worth on expiring contracts

Here''s the problem with trades, you take what you can get. NHL GM's are like jackals they sense thing ain't going well and they're ready to rip you a new one. I don't think there's much scope for trades for PA. I'm not even sure if he beleves he's here long term. I certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes

On 11/20/2022 at 4:33 AM, IBatch said:

Don't forget Dickie was a JB problem that he solved.    It's Bruce who's playing him lol.   Waiting for Dermott to stop getting migraines good grief, isn't that two guys?    Anyways ...  that was the prize.   Lazar > or = to Dickie and it cost us 40% ish on the dollar.    Said it when we signed him and still believe it now, fans are going to love watching Lazar play.    Last game was an example of that.    7 hits lol... both him and Schenn are going to earn the post game meals pre-paid by QHs and EP.  

At least you're consistent but didn't you already get your wish in firing the coach last year, and then the GM?  

Like it or not, one of Vancouver's tiny competitive advantages over other teams is our market share on solid to great Swedish players.   Goes way way way back, Timrafan could help you on that point if you like.   One of JBs group best moves was taking a chance on EP...do you not like EP too?   As long as we don't sign Klingberg in the off season right ... ugh.   I get your pain, my favourite players have and likely always will be Canadian ones.   But BC simply doesn't produce them like ONT and Quebec does.    Half the population lives in the lower mainland.   Only small town BC is like ONT and Quebec when it comes to hockey.     I live i small town Ontario, where the ice is made, we all skate around in minus 10-30 weather on a creek, has three arenas and curling lol...growing up in Victoria they'd need 30 to compare but only had 3 really.   That's the way it is.    Here skating and hockey is a religious experience.  

So we have to work with what we have.   And it just happens to be Sweden.   BC is referred to as its sister place isn't it?   But it's not the lower mainland really..spent 25% of my youth in small town BC and it's like here.   But in Victoria anyways, hockey was the least active sport growing up...soccer, baseball, basketball then hockey.   Sure we had a couple hockey players in my classes in grade school but not many.  Compared to here where 3/4 of the kids play... Everyone plays hockey.   And so many ex-juniors or decent level players as well all grown up. 

HHOFers from Sweden.   Not many right lol.   Ugh.   Salming, Sundin, Forsberg, Sedins, Alfie and Lidstrom.     Class almost doubled!

We should be happy we have any small competitive advantages that we can get.   And let's at least give Allvin this season before passing too much judgement.    But do think he's earned some pressure for sure.   

I am definately giving PA and JR a bit more time, but I'm certainly not impressed with what I've seen so far, especially with their inability to do anything to change-up the defence which they themselves pointed out was our biggest problem last year - and as you can see this year as well and now you see the results with our dreadful losses one after another.  Not due to lack of scoring but due to the one of the very worst defensive corps in the league.   

The 2nd Round Draft Pick Giveaway to get Stillman and dump Dick&Son although irononic and painful to see (especially after JR said he wouldn't throw away draft picks) is only one of a growing number of questionable moves by this regime that flies in the face of what they themselves said needed to be done.    I won't go into some of the other minor moves they've made and that 1st round selection in last years draft (picking another finesse swede) but I'll conclude by simply saying that my hopes for this regime are slipping day by day!

• Cheers 1

On 11/21/2022 at 2:35 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

I am definately giving PA and JR a bit more time, but I'm certainly not impressed with what I've seen so far, especially with their inability to do anything to change-up the defence which they themselves pointed out was our biggest problem last year - and as you can see this year as well and now you see the results with our dreadful losses one after another.  Not due to lack of scoring but due to the one of the very worst defensive corps in the league.   

The 2nd Round Draft Pick Giveaway to get Stillman and dump Dick&Son although irononic and painful to see (especially after JR said he wouldn't throw away draft picks) is only one of a growing number of questionable moves by this regime that flies in the face of what they themselves said needed to be done.    I won't go into some of the other minor moves they've made and that 1st round selection in last years draft (picking another finesse swede) but I'll conclude by simply saying that my hopes for this regime are slipping day by day!

Hey i get it.    If they don't do something this season my patience will be running thin too.  

• Cheers 1

Patience is going to fix this. Can't be making trades for the sake of it. They are probably going to wait things out until the cap goes up (hopefully 4 million end of this season),  teams have a bit more flexibility to take on salary and let the bad deals the JB signed expire or become tradeable. (Pearson, Meyers etc.).