The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, Firstname Lastname said:

Regarding Demko, I don't understand how can there be such a big difference in talent and skill for a player over a summer?

It's like he completely forgot how to do the things he did last season.

I don't play competitive sports, so genuinely asking.

As a goaltender the game is very mental. You want to get yourself prepared to the point of where you shut your mind off and just play. The moment you think about the game or the moment you stop focusing and constantly analyzing the details of reading plays, you're done.

He's worked himself into a hole and now he's guessing everything. When you're at a high level it's almost like an outer body experience sometimes where your hands and legs naturally just react on their own to shots as opposed to your brain commanding them to move. When you have to go "Brain, move right arm out to shot" it takes a second but like when you're on your game it's like putting your hand on a hot stove. It automatically does it for you in reflex because it responds quicker to the stimulus than your cognitive function can react.

He's probably right now thinking of where his feet are, are his feet set, is his body square, should he be out further or deeper, what is the angle of his stick in relation to his body and the puck, etc. and all of those thoughts just slow the mental computer down and lower your reaction time. When you're on your game it's a zen state and you literally don't think about any of that. It's all just automatic. It's like working with a brand new computer vs a 10 year old one. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I will never cheer forthem to lose, but they defintely need to cut bait on several players this season and whatever happens, happens.  It's certainly the season to do it with at three franchise players (maybe even generational) up for grabs.  However, I have some faith that they will see that it's Miller that needs to be cut loose, not Bo.  For the season he doesn't have NTC protection and there will be teams that take him of the price is right, Myers too imo.  Boeser might be a tougher sell, but his deal is short and luckily he still puts up numbers.  I also hope they've been reading my thoughts on Hughes because a deal there goes a long long way to re-tooling B).

I agree on this, something has to give. 
Brock won't fetch much

Not sure Miller will neiher (with his new contract), but you never know. 

Myers, I do have a feeling could fetch something at the TDL (maybe retain some)

Garland? At least shows he has a heart beat every game. 
And then there is Bo... at the moment the prized asset. 
Other than that there's the group everyone understandly wants to build around... 

But thats the kicker... Petey and QH are two players we know, will be sort after by other teams, so are we prepared to let go of either?

I've already stated, that if Petey doesn't want to hang around then so be it. 
Its not like we're winning hust now, so unless something changes, he's gone anyway, if that's how he really feels. 

I'm just enviously looking towards the top of the draft tree, a local, who really really wants to be a Canuck. 

Somebody explain to the owners, what a marketing piece he would be for this club. 

11 hours ago, igorwasgreat said:

I am not opposed to trading Hughes , as long as Boeser, Miller , Pearson, and even Garland are involved. Heck , Even Demko if Ian Clark thinks Silvos is #1 worthy. 

Silovs is not #1 worthy. They're pumping his tires. Looks very very far from being nhl ready. 

12 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Was just typing that....my Dad used to watch Stampede Wrestling. LOL, I remember the sounds of it more than anything.

at the time my future father in law was super into wrasslin' . I splurged for tickets and 4 of us went to Wreslemania in Winnipeg. Saw Hulk Hogan body slam Andre the Giant amongst other matches. Never a real fan personally, just followed because of in-law family. 

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

Ahh ok ok I thought so. 

Rebuilding teams take other teams cap dumps for draft picks. We actually have good players that are marginally overpaid. 

Each of these players when looking at it contract wise are close to playing to their numbers

Miller is a pt / game player. 

Brock is a 60 pt player

Oel is on pace for 35 points

So is Schenn 

Garland on pace for 50

Luckily most of these guys are still putting up points. Like half our goals against are on the PK so everyone's stats are still good. 

Mikheyev , Kuz all on good contracts.

Bo on a steal of a contract. (he alone is worth at least a first and a good prospect). If he re-signs with the new team, we should get another 2nd or first. 

Any of these guys would be a great addition to a playoff team and would help out them over the top. 

Imagine OEL with cap retained playing in a 4D slot on a contender. 

Imagine Bo taking a key faceoff in a playoff game... 

All I'm saying is that we have good players that we as a fan base are undervaluing because our PK, Goalie and team defense has been atrocious. 

9 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Martin is Hot = Gotta change to Demko

Burroughs can play actual D = Gotta change that. Rathbone and Bear combo or Stillman seem like better options

Petty with the Russians and Miller on Bo's wing are hot lines = Gotta change that

Boeser is slow and lost = Put him on the wing with Miller

Terrible Performance. Terrible Lines. 

I liked Bruce last year. This year he looks like an absolute nimrod fixing what isn't broken. Then when he breaks it, he continues with it.

The guy is the EA Sports of coaching. 

Rathbone wasn't good. Myers was pretty bad. Demko needs a reset: He should sit / spend time with Ian Clark. Let Martin take the reins for now.

Bruce firing after they lose to the Leafs on Saturday, and then the Leafs sign him as their coach and they go on to win the Cup?  Yep, sounds like a Canucks outcome.

It's beyond disappointing with how my hope was built in the off season.  Now, 13 games in, we're talking about tearing it down, trading most of the current players - on the hope of landing Connor Bedard? The Canucks will need an immense amount of luck to land the #1 next Draft. It's kind of out of their hands, even if they finish last.

Said it before, Owners/JR need to write a letter to the fans to explain they will be rebuilding a future championship team, and to please be patient.

It's those bloody owners though, they want a packed arena every night and playoff revenue and don't care about rebuilding at all. Maybe the only way real change happens is if we stop paying a lot of money to attend a Canucks game. Relax at home, watch it on TV, or not. Maybe then the Aquas will wake up.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I agree on this, something has to give. 
Brock won't fetch much

Not sure Miller will neiher (with his new contract), but you never know. 

Myers, I do have a feeling could fetch something at the TDL (maybe retain some)

Garland? At least shows he has a heart beat every game. 
And then there is Bo... at the moment the prized asset. 
Other than that there's the group everyone understandly wants to build around... 

But thats the kicker... Petey and QH are two players we know, will be sort after by other teams, so are we prepared to let go of either?

I've already stated, that if Petey doesn't want to hang around then so be it. 
Its not like we're winning hust now, so unless something changes, he's gone anyway, if that's how he really feels. 

I'm just enviously looking towards the top of the draft tree, a local, who really really wants to be a Canuck. 

Somebody explain to the owners, what a marketing piece he would be for this club. 

Miller is a 1ppg power forward, who can win draws, pinch in at C and is signed to a below market value deal. We'd likely have to take some short term cap back just to make the numbers work, but any "win now" team with money coming off this/next season, a need at top 6 w, and with a rising cap, should be all over adding him.

Boeser IMO we should allow to rebuild trade value and wait until we've got McDonaugh arriving and Kuz locked down before we move.

Garland I like, but Hoglander can do a similar job, at a similar stature, for less than half the cap. Move him for futures IMO.

Bo you try to retain IMO. But if he (understandably) wants out, at least we should get a haul.

Myers, Pearson etc should be more moveable this summer/next TDL.

The rest we largely keep for now... And they have two years to build something around Petey. If that fails, and he wants out, then he gets movedb for a haul too. Here's hoping we progress by then.

That said, historically there's very little trading of this sort in early November. Especially with cap as tight as it is. At the earliest, we likely see some of these moves before the winter roster freeze and then leading up to the TDL. And some (like Myers, Pearson) will likely have to wait until the summer/next TDL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

If Rathbone isn't getting the games he needs to develop in the NHL, and isn't in the teams plans, then send him to Abby and play him there. At a minimum he burns up the AHL and the Canucks benefit from an increased trade value.

He played last night?

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I think, at this point, we have to play Martin more because Demko's been relied on too heavily in the past and it's clear that he carries a lot of weight on his shoulders. The expectations for him are set so high. Too bad he's struggling but he's only human. I think he'll pull it together but we can't let this thing get away like it did last year.

Play the winning goalie until they lose!

I support Demko as much as the next person, but he doesn't deserve the crease right now.

All of our expensive players will have more value at the trade deadline with the cap increasing. Only issue tho is not a lot of teams are going to have enough cap space to add 2-3 players. That's where GM's need to be creative. I worry it will be a buyers market because of the limited cap space. 

Teams can acquire guys with term at the trade deadline tho because of the cap increase. I personally as a competitive team would target great value contracts with 4-5 years term because the cap will increase greatly in 3 years and you might be able to get several bargain contacts on the cheap now.

Hopefully the center market is super hot with O Reilly, one of Horvat or Miller, etc all on the market. Horvat/ O'Reilly have the two way elite C reputation. If one team adds one hopefully another team overpays to acquire the other.

I'd like to see Horvat win some cups. At this point I'd be ok with that happening elsewhere if it's meant to be. I wouldn't pay bo 8m+.

44 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yes there are a number of issues with this team, but the #1 issue is Demko. Something is very wrong with him, I don't know if its physical or mental or both. If he was even average we wouldn't be having all this angst right now.

Has anyone heard anything on whats happening with him?

I've been saying, he hasn't fully recovered from his off season surgery. Minor or not, it was surgery. The fact that he hasn't won a game is telling. This is getting tough to watch, especially when Demko was a shoe in for at least a chance to win a game. As it stands, right now the best defenseman this team has is Schenn, on a really good team, he's be a 4 to 6 guy, maybe even an extra. Pretty tough to win in the NHL with that going on.

Also, what's going on with Podz? Is it the war, is he hurt, confidence? He looks lost out there.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller is a 1ppg power forward, who can win draws, pinch in at C and is signed to a below market value deal. We'd likely have to take some short term cap back just to make the numbers work, but any "win now" team with money coming off this/next season, a need at top 6 w, and with a rising cap, should be all over adding him.

Boeser IMO we should allow to rebuild trade value and wait until we've got McDonaugh arriving and Kuz locked down before we move.

Garland I like, but Hoglander can do a similar job, at a similar stature, for less than half the cap. Move him for futures IMO.

Bo you try to retain IMO. But if he (understandably) wants out, at least we should get a haul.

Myers, Pearson etc should be more moveable this summer/next TDL.

The rest we largely keep for now... And they have two years to build something around Petey. If that fails, and he wants out, then he gets movedb for a haul too. Here's hoping we progress by then.

That said, historically there's very little trading of this sort in early November. Especially with cap as tight as it is. At the earliest, we likely see some of these moves before the winter roster freeze and then leading up to the TDL. And some (like Myers, Pearson) will likely have to wait until the summer/next TDL.

Good comment regarding Miller's contact and trade value. 

I personally think anyone with 3 years left has great trade value because we can retain salary. 

If we are rebuilding with guys on ELC and other teams cap dumps, we shouldn't need capspace for 3 to 4 years. 

I would say this is the time we need a capologist the most. We need a carefully planned out strategy of how we'll be utilizing cap space to extract max value on trades while ensuring new contracts are structured to ensure we have maximum capspace availability when we need it in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1