The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

We are going to end up drafting 11 or 12 ov (and likely missing on the pick per tradition)

Nothing better than going on a March heater (again) when basically mathematically eliminated, again. Great job team. :towel: This has gotten impossible to support.

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I swear the last decade that this team goes from top 3 pick to 6-12 as consistently as the leafs blow the first round.

We love our mediocrity

At least the leafs gets to blow in the first round. We get to blow before 50% or the season is over as per the last 3 lol

27 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

At least the leafs gets to blow in the first round. We get to blow before 50% or the season is over as per the last 3 lol

I struggle to be angry though, wins are wins.  But it kinda sucks they only happen when the only outcome is a decreased asset for us

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I struggle to be angry though, wins are wins.  But it kinda sucks they only happen when the only outcome is a decreased asset for us

i'm not angry about the wins i just dont care about the wins.. been thru this too many years in a row to know not to get excited over it at the same time not to get excited over the draft lottery because they are used to being the best of the worse. besides when was the last time the canucks didn't draft a dud in the 1st round outside of a top 9 pick anyways? almost 20 years ago?

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm not angry about the wins i just dont care about the wins.. been thru this too many years in a row to know not to get excited over it at the same time not to get excited over the draft lottery because they are used to being the best of the worse. besides when was the last time the canucks didn't draft a dud in the 1st round outside of a top 9 pick anyways? almost 20 years ago?

debbie downer GIF

To be honest, I'm not struggling at all. I like to see our Canucks win. Sometimes I really hate it when they lose. Especially against the Alberta teams and couple of eastern teams. But by and large I accept when they lose.

We're definitely NOT gonna get in the playoffs.  But I get it. Winning is decreasing our odds regarding Bedard. That being said, I'm sure we'll still be in a decent spot. Assuming we're rolling along as we have been lately since Demmer's return, we might be somewhere in the top 8 to 15 perhaps? I'm okay with that. There's no way we can do better. I dunno. I'm not a cause 'n' affect scientist.

I think there's a culture and an identity being created as we speak. A winning culture? Sure! Why not. But more so a culture of positivity. A culture of hope for a brighter future and outcome. Winning builds moral. The core and their comrades in arms have to experience that feeling and ache for it. That's not gonna happen if ya' keep on losing. Sure. Losing's okay, but if it's a good loss, then positivity and hope will continue to linger and flourish in the psyche of the players and locker room. Am I rambling?!?!?!?!???????

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

I think there's a culture and an identity being created as we speak. A winning culture? Sure! Why not. But more so a culture of positivity. A culture of hope for a brighter future and outcome. Winning builds moral. The core and their comrades in arms have to experience that feeling and ache for it. That's not gonna happen if ya' keep on losing. Sure. Losing's okay, but if it's a good loss, then positivity and hope will continue to linger and flourish in the psyche of the players and locker room. Am I rambling?!?!?!?!???????

Go Canucks Go!

Basically last year when we all thinking the team turned a corner after that 105 pt or something pace with Bruce Boudreau. 

I'd rather have better odds or a higher draft pick to be honest, all this "building a culture" is smoke and mirrors until the team learns how to play for a full season. And this could have been done during the offseason. Because that is when the real work is supposed to start.

• Cheers 1

Many are predicting we're going to draft 8-12th.. Look at the standings. Tocchet is coaching like we're competing for a playoff spot and overplaying the top guys and demko. With way we keep winning games including ones that we shouldn't have won (vs LA game, that was all bubble demko), it's more than likely we are looking to drop outside of 12th and won't get a sniff at the lotto pick. It's also very possible they can move this pick at the draft if it drops below 12th. 

I get some don't care about the lottery cause winning is nice and they only care for short term entertainment. But to many like me I want a cup for this team at this point. The winning now doesn't mean anything as much as a lot of ppl try to find all reasons to argue against that. I'll be convinced if they can be consistent like this for a full season which hasn't happened for the past decade.

I am worried about this winning streak will give mgmt a false sense that this team is ready to do compete for a cup and sell the farm. We've gone through this too many times. 

I really hope we won't need to talk about rebuild again as any point next season because the team falls back its old way. Please prove me wrong team.

On 3/19/2023 at 3:28 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

FACT:   Go back 45 years and only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster.

Stop dreaming.........!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can-win-stanley-cup-without-top-3-draft-pick/

This article isn't very convincing.

Like Boston in 2011, Seguin did barely anything. Horton was out since gm 3 and before that, he did nothing much. His only contribution was to motivate the Bruins team and suspend our last remaining defensive player.

Detroit team in 2008, Stuart was not a core member. In fact, in 97, 98, 2002, Shannahan was not even a top 3 player on his team during those years. He's a great player but that team had even better and more important players than Shanny.

The better way to present this may have been to do a redraft for each year first. Then see how many of the cup teams have a top 3 or top 5 players from redrafts. 

I think all that matters is that you draft better players than your competitors. In most cases, top 3 picks give you such players but not always. For example, Makar was #4 but he was really a #1 player from his draft and better than any of his peers drafted in previous drafts. Similarly, Petterson was #5 in his draft but really a #2 player from his draft and seems like a top 5 center in the league already. The same with Hughes in 2018. He's a top 3 player from that draft and better than most of his peers.

But I agree with the overall point. We need another game-breaking talent to win it all. Most cup contenders have their own Petterson and their own Hughes and at least one player of similar caliber. Examples: McKinnon, Makar, and Raantanen or Kucherov, Hedman, and Point. 

We need that other guy: Pettersson, Hughes, and ???

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

IMO where the rubber hits the tarmac is you simply can not in the Cap era have team full of expensive player. So ou need cheap skilled players in addition and the only place that provides that IMO are ELC. They don't have to be first round picks  but the likelhood is very strong

We need an act of god, or the Hockey Gods, to help us now have a shot at the top 5 picks.

I feel dirty wishing injury, so I won't.  But some non-serious injuries like broken fingers, or sickness, etc I wouldnt be crying.  Maybe some family emergencies thrown in there. Babies being born. Flight mixups. Or somehow have every other game this season be officiated by Sutherland.  I know I'm reaching here.

Or

Since the draft is designed to roughly at least award the worst teams with the highest picks, we don't actually deserve the highest pick because we are not that bad.  That's a good thing right? I know being in the mushy middle is no fun, but the silver lining is that we don't have as far to go to get to the top if we are already half ways up the mountain. Theoretically at least, we have proven we might be good enough now to not absolutely NEED Bedard or any of the vaunted top 5.  Sacrilegious to say that I know.

We definitely are due some luck. We deserve to get a #1 pick at least once in our team's history ffs.  But fact is we are too good at this moment, with Tocchet as coach, and with Kuzmenko, Petey, Miller, Demko all playing lights out. We are too advanced in our retool.  JR has been a little too successful, too early. I know the timing is horrendous. It is what it is.  But being better than predicted, is not such a bad thing (other than falling in the draft).  Bedard might have instantly put us over the top, but we already have a core of good young players. Its not "Bedard or Bust!"  its "Bedard or we keep building the team with other picks and prospects we acquire"  The Hockey Gods never hand the Canucks a free pass, or a #1.  We gotta do it on our own.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I feel dirty wishing injury, so I won't.  But some non-serious injuries like broken fingers, or sickness, etc I wouldnt be crying.  Maybe some family emergencies thrown in there. Babies being born. Flight mixups. Or somehow have every other game this season be officiated by Sutherland.  I know I'm reaching here.

Injury is the last thing we want.

The only thing I'm hoping for is we don't overplay our stars 25-30 min a night or start Demko 90% of the games when it's better to load manage them for next year. Use that extra ice time to evaluate your depth players. Plus less wear and tear for the stars. we're only in this mess because we overplayed Demko and broke him. Rick says this is an extended training camp? Actually use it to evaluate what you have. Wolanin and Brisebois playing 20 min a night is a positive we can take from this.

Outside of that, not much we can control. The cards will fall where they fall.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, kilgore said:

We need an act of god, or the Hockey Gods, to help us now have a shot at the top 5 picks.

Or

Since the draft is designed to roughly at least award the worst teams with the highest picks, we don't actually deserve the highest pick because we are not that bad.  That's a good thing right? I know being in the mushy middle is no fun, but the silver lining is that we don't have as far to go to get to the top if we are already half ways up the mountain. Theoretically at least, we have proven we might be good enough now to not absolutely NEED Bedard or any of the vaunted top 5.  Sacrilegious to say that I know.

We definitely are due some luck. We deserve to get a #1 pick at least once in our team's history ffs.  But fact is we are too good at this moment, with Tocchet as coach, and with Kuzmenko, Petey, Miller, Demko all playing lights out. We are too advanced in our retool.  JR has been a little too successful, too early. I know the timing is horrendous. It is what it is.  But being better than predicted, is not such a bad thing (other than falling in the draft).  Bedard might have instantly put us over the top, but we already have a core of good young players. Its not "Bedard or Bust!"  its "Bedard or we keep building the team with other picks and prospects we acquire"  The Hockey Gods never hand the Canucks a free pass, or a #1.  We gotta do it on our own.

‘We definitely are due some luck.” This is called the gamblers fallacy. No one is due good luck after bad. The odds don’t change after getting tales 5 times in a row; it’s still 50-50.

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Sativika said:

To be honest, I'm not struggling at all. I like to see our Canucks win. Sometimes I really hate it when they lose. Especially against the Alberta teams and couple of eastern teams. But by and large I accept when they lose.

We're definitely NOT gonna get in the playoffs.  But I get it. Winning is decreasing our odds regarding Bedard. That being said, I'm sure we'll still be in a decent spot. Assuming we're rolling along as we have been lately since Demmer's return, we might be somewhere in the top 8 to 15 perhaps? I'm okay with that. There's no way we can do better. I dunno. I'm not a cause 'n' affect scientist.

Go Canucks Go!

I used to be indifferent to tanking. But not anymore. When you are eliminated from the playoffs in October or November, you tank.

Doug Mclean said not tanking was his biggest regret as a manager.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I used to be indifferent to tanking. But not anymore. When you are eliminated from the playoffs in October or November, you tank.

Doug Mclean said not tanking was his biggest regret as a manager.

And the Blue Jackets biggest regret was hiring Doug McLean…

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1