The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Nov. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is it Demko, or is it the team and the "structure" in front of him?  If a goalie has to deal with 2-1 and 3-1 every game and the defencemen are not taking out their men and the forwards are not backchecking and the team is leaving the goalie out to dry, is it the goalie's fault?  Martin also looked bad against Boston, but you could tell he was being left out to dry on several goals.

Montreal is #1 on that list.  Is Jake Allen really a top goalie in the NHL or is the team and its structure making him look good?

EDIT:  Samuel Montembeault actually has a better record than Allen and has a SV% of .930.  He was a waiver wire pickup.  Is he really that good or is he playing in a really good defensive system?

Goals saved above expected doesn't give an indication of the environment but on the performance of the goalie.  IE This list doesn't tell you how strong any of those teams are defensively.  All it tells you is how the goalie is doing based on the environment he is operating in.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Donnie and Dhali are running a pole this morning on weather Bruce Boudreau will be returning to Vancouver after this road trip. Right now it's 42% yes / 58% no.

Apparently, getting many negative comments on JR.

Lol 

i mean JR track record in his later years in pits don’t exactly make me ooze confidence in them.

and what he’s down so far and how he’s thrown oil on our fire and burned Bruce all has me wondering if he’s actually the right guy. 

we will find out soon.  So far the only moves I’m not happy with are not moving Miller and the Dickinson trade losing a second. Even if it resulted in Bear feel like we could have done it in another way. And Chicago won that trade in player upgrade and draft capital. They lost in the sense still man woulda helped their tank tho lol

Watching other teams, they play fast and big, making crisp tape-to-tape passes. Watching the Canucks, they're scrambling, like they're making it up as they go. So many passes are off, so many giveaways. Terrible delay of game penalties because they can't exit the zone. Young guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin unable to generate much, if at all. 

This is Petey's 5th season and sometimes he still looks like a kid, falling all over the place. He takes too long to make a decision with the puck. With his skill, if he was aggressive, maybe they'd have something, but right now, he's a cream puff.

The D (Hughes) needs to focus more on D, this team has enough offensive weapons.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Well despite all their recent regular season success, the Maple Laffs pretty much haven't won a playoff series in two decades.

Yes, agree the Leafs regular season success hasn't translated to post season...... But what does that have to do with this discussion? Please elaborate.

If you're trying to say they've been rebuilding for 20-30 years, you're incorrect lol. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

so rather than paying him $7m+ for the next 4 years, you'd rather pay him $2m+ (almost $5m for two of those years) for the next 9?

If his play continues to decline, yes. He can’t defend or quarterback that power play anymore. He brings nothing to the table. I still hope he finds his game back, along with the other underperforming guys but his contract right now is the worst on the team. I also don’t mean for a buyout this season, there is no point.

4 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Wow, look at you and your crystal ball and Ivory tower.

I don't think people expected us to be a contending team in 8 months (more like 10 months). But when the GM has skipped past trading assets for picks, and gone straight to signing core pieces (miller, Boes Mistakes!!) and picking up supporting UFAs (Mikayev, Kuuz) there's a general expectation from fans that we will be trending upwards, not downwards. Don't blame the fans for having hope, blame the GM for giving that false sense of hope by making significant errors. This is wasted year and now they are going to have to start over by trading assets for picks, something they should have done last year!

Well, the guy I quoted has been crying about management since September that things aren’t fixed yet. 

Yet wanted us to give Benning more time if we kept him.

So yes he expected things to be fixed already. Stupid. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watching other teams, they play fast and big, making crisp tape-to-tape passes. Watching the Canucks, they're scrambling, like they're making it up as they go. So many passes are off, so many giveaways. Terrible delay of game penalties because they can't exit the zone. Young guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin unable to generate much, if at all. 

This is Petey's 5th season and sometimes he still looks like a kid, falling all over the place. He takes too long to make a decision with the puck. With his skill, if he was aggressive, maybe they'd have something, but right now, he's a cream puff.

The D (Hughes) needs to focus more on D, this team has enough offensive weapons.  

I understand what you mean by Petey.  In terms of pure skill, such as skating with the puck, hes good, but not at elite level.  But i feel he will round into form.  He also needs consistent linemates.  Once Hogz and Podz are ready, i think with Petey, that will be a top line that will be dangerous. 

On Hughes- hes not capable of playing D.  Thats the problem.  He doesnt have that intensity, he doesnt have the body type.  Much line Rathbone hes only ever focused on the offensive side of the game.  Its too late for him to somehow add that defensive element to his game, especially at the NHL level.  What you see is what you get from him.  This is why he will never be a #1 dman. 

28 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’d say he’s quick but not fast.

same as kuz, Hoglander etc

our teAm build just doesn’t cut it.

We need a different / better team mix 

but for sure his work rate and little legs make him look quicker 

Garlands like a modern era Cliff Ronning, spinning , twirling, dipsy doodling, stick handling in a phone booth, dizzying those D men.

Would like to keep him if we don't blow it all up.

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well, the guy I quoted has been crying about management since September that things aren’t fixed yet. 

Yet wanted us to give Benning more time if we kept him.

So yes he expected things to be fixed already. Stupid. 

There's a few folks on here that need a math refresher.

Little Jimmy Benning had 7 apples.

Little Patty Allvin has two half apples (OR one whole apple)

Canucks fans "Why hasn't Patty Allvin made the same amount of apple pies!, this is ludicrous!"

Somehow, after 7 years of one GM, we've expected his replacement to right all the wrongs and turn around the entire organization in 1 off season........let's let that sink in. Yes....the team is underperforming, and they need/want someone to blame....and the ultra lazy way to do that is attack Allvin over an incredibly small sample size.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I understand what you mean by Petey.  In terms of pure skill, such as skating with the puck, hes good, but not at elite level.  But i feel he will round into form.  He also needs consistent linemates.  Once Hogz and Podz are ready, i think with Petey, that will be a top line that will be dangerous. 

On Hughes- hes not capable of playing D.  Thats the problem.  He doesnt have that intensity, he doesnt have the body type.  Much line Rathbone hes only ever focused on the offensive side of the game.  Its too late for him to somehow add that defensive element to his game, especially at the NHL level.  What you see is what you get from him.  This is why he will never be a #1 dman. 

Hughes is a special player and the Canucks should've gone all in on a young defensive RD partner for him, or a RD partner should've been the focus the minute Hughes was drafted. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This culture stuff is mostly sporting cliches. Why is the Oilers a bit better now? Because they have Mcdavid. All it takes to fix the culture is winning. 

They just lost a chunk of their secondary scoring.  We'll see how that effects them.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

They're not buying out OEL.  He's a good dman, has a NMC and he's likely here until the end of his deal.  OEL and his deal isnt high up on the list of issues with this team, imo

It's the cap we need. Yes he's a serviceable dman for sure.

Of we found a replacement at 3M we could use the difference for our roster.

that was just a team that wasnt ready to compete. Bruce has done what he can with this group. Mike Yeo has been a disaster everywhere he has coached and from what everyone says he is a nice guy but he is just not successful.

The power play had an ok day but the PK is awful. so many mental errors. Lazy plays. No drive no desire,its painful.

The team is waiting for the shoe to drop.waiting for management to make a move. They know its coming just when. a Trade or coaching change is in the wind.

41 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

There's a few folks on here that need a math refresher.

Little Jimmy Benning had 7 apples.

Little Patty Allvin has two half apples (OR one whole apple)

Canucks fans "Why hasn't Patty Allvin made the same amount of apple pies!, this is ludicrous!"

Somehow, after 7 years of one GM, we've expected his replacement to right all the wrongs and turn around the entire organization in 1 off season........let's let that sink in. Yes....the team is underperforming, and they need/want someone to blame....and the ultra lazy way to do that is attack Allvin over an incredibly small sample size.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Small sample size ????  Rutherford was hired dec 2 2021 he had 9 months before signing Miller sept 2 2022 of which at that time miller had another 10 months july 2 2023 remaining to resign him so what was his hurry with miller.?  Given the fact that horvats contract renewal had more urgency,  I’m not even mentioning him considering horvats consistent history and proven loyalty which apperantly he never took into serious consideration.  Obviously he wouldn’t have foreseen horvats current year he’s having but one would have been able to look at his consistent record. So Rutherford looks at miller’s 99 point season last year  and has dementia fueled Brain fart  and decides to sign miller to the benningish forever contract?  Criticism towards JR is warranted. JR needs to somehow move miller before it’s to late. No one needs to hear  him admit to the mistake. He just needs to move miller. Period.  

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's the cap we need. Yes he's a serviceable dman for sure.

Of we found a replacement at 3M we could use the difference for our roster.

Cap they need?  Theyd be paying him $2.4m until 2031, and for two of those years almost $5m..........to play for another team.  You can't see how dumb that would be?

• Sad 1