The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Nov. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, this is the thing the 'trade everybody' gang keeps forgetting.

Like the moves JR went through to get room enough to trade for Bear.

Like, 'why didn't JR do this, that, and the other thing, at the last TDL, or at the draft, in free agency', etc.

It is because teams got caught by Covid with decreased revenue resulting in either a flat cap, or a major (MAJOR) clawback which the lapdog NHLPA certainly did not want.

There are a couple teams with room, and I am willing to bet that they are being heavily courted for it.

If you want to trade high-dough contracts with long term, expect to pay heavily with all the assets you do not want to trade.

Cap for cap; as JR said from the beginning.

Would this team be better or worse with Dicknson instead of Boeser?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

We aren't retaining any salary currently are we? 

I would say Myers and Boeser might be the only ones we need to retain

I actually think Miller is well worth his current cap hit along with his 8m future cap hit. He would have easily gotten that and more in the open market so I'm sure there's value there. A point / game  player who can play C for 8m?

That's not bad at all

I guess it depends on your goal

the return on Myers and Boeser won't be much,

so you are retaining cap in order to lower you cap

and you are retaining until 2024 and 2025

if you retain on Horvat you would pull in a winfall

and retain until 2023

I agree Miller has value, but would bet he was worth more as a straight rental this deadline day

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

You are dreaming if you think the NHL will let us get the 1OA. The “lottery” system is a joke and the draw is behind closed doors with no one doing any sort of over watch. We are not getting Bedard. Bettman has other ideas as to where he will go….like Arizona. 

Do you really believe this?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

remember when Hughes said that Josi had 100 more shots than he did?

that he wanted to close the gap?

at 17 games in 

Josi 61

Hughes 23

That is what I have been saying about having Hughes on PP1. Hughes only shoots if it is a slapper and he usually has his shot blocked. OEL gets his shots through and he uses little wristers that then cause havoc. Hughes needs to learn that.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

that is all good, but you can only retain salary on 3 players

who do you pick?

I really like OEL he plays the right way and is a consummate pro If we are truly in a rebuild I'm fine having him here as a lightning rod for criticism while bringing along a young D core. 

We are going to get some D prospects in the system right??  we can deal with OEL later. 

I think we retain this year on Miller and hope to get a late 1st and a prospect. I also think Miller crushes it in the playoffs with his new team. 

I think we could maybe move Brock with shorter bad money coming back for a pick late 2nd or early 3rd is it worth it? I think Brock stays for the time being until we can get a better deal. I doubt we retain. 

Bo sure we could get a haul I dont think we trade him unless the return is staggering. 

2 hours ago, lmm said:

fool me once...

Yeah I'd have to say that falling for last night's game would be quite gullible. I believe we barely hung on and got completely outshot in the 3rd.

This team is what it is. It took me since the bubble until the recent Mtl game to learn that. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

You are dreaming if you think the NHL will let us get the 1OA. The “lottery” system is a joke and the draw is behind closed doors with no one doing any sort of over watch. We are not getting Bedard. Bettman has other ideas as to where he will go….like Arizona. 

Doubt they get it,better an original six team like the hawks as Arizona will more then likely be gone.

On 11/15/2022 at 7:35 PM, Alflives said:

Plus four.  Petey is by far our best player.  It’s not even close.  Bo Ho, who we all love and want us to extend, is okay, but he does struggle defensively.  Hey Bo!  The game is played when the other team has the puck too.  Take 7 per times 8 years, or (hopefully) we will trade you for some really good stuff.

He will demand $10 I’m %100 sure we won’t afford his contract I mean you know how hater wants us to think get with it.

Kuz, Gar, Hogs,

Petie, Dries,

Mik, Brock, Podz,

Huggy, OEL 

are all similar type finesse, highly skilled players.

Our math is off.

Our 4th line mucks it up and does some good physical play, add Bo and JT, Pearson when he's on his game.

We need a Dorsett/Hansen/Walker/Kenins type into our bottom 6.

Someone who gets his nose dirty, blocks shots and hits.

Bieksa was right, with this current mix, we're a fun team to play against. 

Two agitators we have on hand are DiGiussepe and Booker for the 4th line, if one of them come in, bump Aman up to the 3rd line. I think our math would be better.

We've added 2 great Russian skill guys and we need to balance it out.

IMHO 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Yes I do. Look at our 2 previous Stanley Cup appearances and how lopsided the officiated was. It was more important for them to have the NYR and Bruins win so they build the game more. It’s all about money. The NHL has their own agenda and our ownership has no clout in their inner circle.

A generational player like Bedard will end up in Arizona, Bettman’s baby. They desperately want that place to thrive, regardless of decades of basically no fan support. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

A simple google search of Ernst and young would show it’s not actually a law firm but a multinational professional services  architecture, engineering. Etc. Further research shows how many multi billion dollar law suites/fraud/ conflict of interest cases it’s been involved with. I’m certainly not a conspiracy believer but given the scepticism surrounding the draft loto, And this corporation  I’m not certain that’s it’s all aboveboard. 

I don't think any owner agrees to giving away franchise changing picks to other franchises while they sit there sucking and not being successful. Seems like a lot of baloney. To far down the rabbit hole for me.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't think any owner agrees to giving away franchise changing picks to other franchises while they sit there sucking and not being successful. Seems like a lot of baloney to me. To far down the rabbit hole for me.

I’m not suggesting any particular team would purpously tank a season but when did  ANY franchise have a clear choice in who they ended up or not ended up with in the draft??? Your missing the point. The point being there’s questions of integrity  regarding the current draft format. Edit. Nor am I on the conspiracy side of things, but not totally convinced otherwise. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

These are the same types of people that blamed Green for our losses last year. The same types that proclaimed us first in the division before the season desperately trying to paint Vegas as a terrible team on the way down ... and Calgary, and Edmonton, and LA. The same types sit here and try to pretend signing Miller was a good thing and this team is just working out the kinks. Basically excuse makers and dreamers coming up with every excuse in the book except the one that matters. The combination of players sucks as does the lack of RD.