The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should the Canucks approach be at the trade deadline if they’re in the playoff race?

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Trade Deadline Approach  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team should still be looking to upgrade the defense however possible. If the Canucks end up in the playoff race, which I think they will be, they'll need a better defense. This will mean trading a forward or two, hopefully along with one of the anchor contracts (Myers/OEL). 

Standing pat may not work, as the holes in the defense are still an issue. 

Some teams might deal potential UFA defenseman at the TD if they can't resign him. If they want a good replacement dman for the playoffs, Myers is only 2 years on his contract. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

Anything but buyers.

They can sell, do nothing, spectate whatever, just don't become buyers.

Being buyers striving for the 8th playoff spot has been the bane of the entre existence of this franchise.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

My question to anyone thinking this team is a position to 'buy' is:

How can they be buyers with virtually zero usable cap-space, and almost nothing in the prospect pool? 

The 'catch 22' is that any contracts that could be moved to create cap-space would be the type that would hurt our roster depth - so you're left with, at best, lateral moves which isn't, per-se - the definition of 'buyer'. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dome teams might deal potential UFA defenseman at the TD if they can't resign him. If they want a good replacement dman for the playoffs, Myers is only 2 years on his contract. 

I think the dilemma regarding the need for some adequate top four defensemen is only handled via trade. It'll have to be a spicy one, mind you. Just as long as part of the trade is making room for Bo's new contract.

• Vintage 1

It will depend on Horvat. If they have signs or inklings that he is open to an extension, they should clear/dump salary to keep him. If Bo tells management that he has no interest in staying, they should sell high and bite the tough bullet.

The worst possible scenario is just missing the playoffs or getting eliminated quickly in R1, then him walking for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

To clarify, in order the last 5 cup winning teams have been

Colorado's top 4:  Makar, Toews, Girard, Johnson

Tampa's top 4:  Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, McDonagh

St Louis' top 4: Pietreangelo, Dunn, Parayko, Bouwmeester

Washington's top 4:  Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen, Orpik

Pittsburgh's top 4:  Schultz, Letang, Maata, Dumoulin

When we speak of defense.  Outside of Hughes (who defensively is still quite suspect) the only team that is comparably as questionable in their cup run is Washington.  When you say this team is not as far off as people think.  We have had Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes as the core for a minimum of 4 seasons and accomplished nothing outside of a single random covid playoff draw.  Our top "g" is currently our back up 

While we can be as optimistic as we'd like.  The reality is we do not have the defense to compete for a cup and that has been our legitimate issue since 2013 without any significant attempt to overhaul it.

Nice job doctoring up my quote there champ.

Care to add back in the part about dealing Garland, Boeser, Myers to open up space to address the D?  Using those pieces and the cap space they open up to overhaul the D is an awfully good way to supplement our core.

6 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

It will depend on Horvat. If they have signs or inklings that he is open to an extension, they should clear/dump salary to keep him. If Bo tells management that he has no interest in staying, they should sell high and bite the tough bullet.

The worst possible scenario is just missing the playoffs or getting eliminated quickly in R1, then him walking for nothing.

If management hasn't at least inquired with BoHo's agent as to his intentions by this point, I'm not sure I'd have any confidence in them whatsoever. 

I'm not saying they need an answer from their side yet, but if JR/Allvin haven't at least brought up the topic to get it out there, then they're doing a disservice to this organization imo.  

Honestly, it probably depends on the specifics, but either way, "buyers" is not an option at all IMO. If we are actually in a proper playoff spot (not just a few points out), I say Stay Put. Otherwise, as weird as it might be, I'd be okay with selling. I'll vote for Stay Put and play the optimist role though.

If, and that’s a big if, we’re looking like we’re gonna make the playoffs at that point, the only types of moves we should look at are moving guys like Garland for extra help on defense. We’ve shown scoring isn’t a problem at all but we need to get better defending leads. 

Just now, BCNate said:

Nice job doctoring up my quote there champ.

Care to add back in the part about dealing Garland, Boeser, Myers to open up space to address the D?  Using those pieces and the cap space they open up to overhaul the D is an awfully good way to supplement our core.

How are you gonna do that? There has to be supply and demand for goods. It’s easy for us to say get rid of Myers, Garland, Boeser, etc…it’s harder than that irl for management, and I’m one of their biggest critics. 

Teams are gonna raise their eyebrows and see the red flags on Myers and Garland for their own separate reasons. One is most likely going to need to attach assets to those contracts once they get a sense of the club’s desperation and financial overview. Boeser is probably the easiest to move because of his supposed potential, but his injury history might also make things hard.

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If management hasn't at least inquired with BoHo's agent as to his intentions by this point, I'm not sure I'd have any confidence in them whatsoever. 

I'm not saying they need an answer from their side yet, but if JR/Allvin haven't at least brought up the topic to get it out there, then they're doing a disservice to this organization imo.  

I agree.

Bo’s turned my heart this year. I think he’s elevated himself in more ways than one on the ice…the more he does well while the club swims in circles, the less optimistic I am on the situation. I hope they have already considered all options already like you said.

Seems to me management have a quandry on their hands. Rutherford says he has some good D coming along. However if they trade for a big time D'man with a long contract it may stop young prospects ( a lot cheaper ) playing next season. Maybe Horvat has agreed to a contract but has to wait for the new Cap limit. It's risky for Horvat but if he wants to stay he might believe it's worth it. The projected Cap Space for next season is $11.8 mill. So if they want Horvat, Kuzmenko and Bear ( short contract ) This included Ferland and Holtby leaving. Dermott is as good as gone

I have no idea of the benfits of buying out

OEL

Poolman

Pearson

Other than that it strikes me that one of or both Graland and Boeser need to go

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pearson, like Myers, isn't a UFA until July 2024.  So he has a full year remaining after this one.  He will not have any true value (getting a pick back with a full dumperoo of his cap) until the 2024 TDL.  IMHAO We would have to add sugar to dumperoo Pearson any sooner.  

I disagree Alf. He has more value with a year still on his contract vs just a rental.

5 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

How are you gonna do that? There has to be supply and demand for goods. It’s easy for us to say get rid of Myers, Garland, Boeser, etc…it’s harder than that irl for management, and I’m one of their biggest critics. 

Teams are gonna raise their eyebrows and see the red flags on Myers and Garland for their own separate reasons. One is most likely going to need to attach assets to those contracts once they get a sense of the club’s desperation and financial overview. Boeser is probably the easiest to move because of his supposed potential, but his injury history might also make things hard.

Garland has value.  .5ppg player on that deal, with almost all his production 5vs5.  

Boeser is on a good deal for his production, he has value.

Even if it is for a 2nd round each, you then open up space to go after guys like Zub, Mayfield, Severson, Dumba, Graves.  

Myers with a bit of retention as an upcoming UFA would have a market

Edited by BCNate

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Seems to me management have a quandry on their hands. Rutherford says he has some good D coming along. However if they trade for a big time D'man with a long contract it may stop young prospects ( a lot cheaper ) playing next season. Maybe Horvat has agreed to a contract but has to wait for the new Cap limit. It's risky for Horvat but if he wants to stay he might believe it's worth it. The projected Cap Space for next season is $11.8 mill. So if they want Horvat, Kuzmenko and Bear ( short contract ) This included Ferland and Holtby leaving. Dermott is as good as gone

I have no idea of the benfits of buying out

OEL

Poolman

Pearson

Other than that it strikes me that one of or both Graland and Boeser need to go

Gave it a whirl, with cap savings as the column.

Rather hold off of Buying OEL for now

image.png

Edited by DSVII

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Garland has value.  .5ppg player on that deal, with almost all his production 5vs5.  

Boeser is on a good deal for his production, he has value.

Even i

Boeser has some value I agree. Not as much as in the past, but he can build that up with a run of good form.

You aren’t going to convince me with Garland, and neither will management when they try and dangle him. .5ppg middle six winger for 5M is terrible value for a cash strapped team. If it was a good contract, he wouldn’t be shopped in year 1 and 2 of his deal.

1 minute ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Boeser has some value I agree. Not as much as in the past, but he can build that up with a run of good form.

You aren’t going to convince me with Garland, and neither will management when they try and dangle him. .5ppg middle six winger for 5M is terrible value for a cash strapped team. If it was a good contract, he wouldn’t be shopped in year 1 and 2 of his deal.

I don't believe Garland has been shopped.  Horvat's emergence, and Kuzmenko's debut have made him expendable though.  

Agree to disagree, but I feel he would certainly have value on the market.  I'm not looking for huge returns on any guys we deal, just moves to open up space.