The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should the Canucks approach be at the trade deadline if they’re in the playoff race?

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Trade Deadline Approach  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If they are in the playoff hunt and clearly aren't doing a rebuild, then I would hope they find a way to move out Garland and Myers... and then find a way to re-sign Bo and Kuz and somehow magically upgrade the D in that Garland trade (seems doubtful, wingers are not valued anywhere near as high as D right now) or find some cap space to do so in the off season. Not ideal because we would be downgrading in Myers spot, but it's not like our D has been good with him... better to take the cap space. 

Biggest hope would be no picks are moved out. 

Edited by awalk

23 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Regardless og anything they can't afford to let neither Bo nor Kuz leave for nothing at the end of the season. 

If they can't resign them, they have to deal them... 

If they can resign them, they may have to deal others at TDL, but it won't be as pressing a decision to make. 

Hopefully a Brock or Garlamd + something else out and a top 4 D line Baer in would be really good.  

Lots of money and redundancy tied up in Boeser, Miller, Pearson. I'd hope they're top of the block with OEL and Myers. The latter both being difficult to move but also a catch22 tlbecause UNFORTUNATELY our defense is a mess and they at least play that position.. sort of.

Sad Happy Hour GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Let’s the say the Canucks are in the playoffs race (few points in or out of the playoffs), as the trade deadline approaches. What should their approach be: become buyers to make the playoffs, become sellers and look at the future or stay put?

It could very well be a buyer’s market this trade deadline.

FWIW, more buyers = a seller's market, not a buyers market ;)

As for what we SHOULD be doing... None of Horvat, Kuzmenko, Schenn, Bear, or hell, even Burroughs or Dermott should be walking for nothing (and Miller too if Horvat is being moved). Sign or trade by the TDL. Period.

While I have zero idea what this management group is actually doing, at least we have clear history and quotes that they won't let assets walk for nothing. SO that's something at least.

If we can move either of Myers, Pearson. Great. But I expect that's a next summer, or more likely next TDL move.

Boeser/Garland if we can get value too.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

We have started our run for 16th OA. Book it now. Team screams we need rebuild, ownership screams your a championship calibre team, hold the course. 

I'll be happy for every win but can't help bit hang my head knowing we're still just kidding ourselves.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

If we mis the playoffs by a few points this year it's kind of a big deal.  This is the year where mediocrity will hurt for a long time.  That top 5 is potentially franchise defining.

We won't be drafting top five.   The only guys teams will want aside from Horvat are trade deadline types.   Garland and Brock ... well maybe one of them ... is that going to sink this ship?  Probably.    Poke a hole only if it's for futures.   The best way to tank is setting an internal cap.   We can't do that yet.   Horvat is the only real chip, at least for now.    Maybe if we retain on both Brock and Myers.   It's the only way i see that we could get there (with Horvat).    As long as Demko doesn't go back to what he was like last season.    Tanking will take some work anyways, to get to a top five pick. 

Edited by IBatch

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We won't be drafting top five.   The only guys teams will want aside from Horvat are trade deadline types.   Garland and Brock ... well maybe one of them ... is that going to sink this ship?  Probably.    Poke a hole only if it's for futures.   The best way to tank is setting an internal cap.   We can't do that yet.   Horvat is the only real chip, at least for now.    Maybe if we retain on both Brock and Myers.   It's the only way i see that we could get there (with Horvat).    As long as Demko doesn't go back to what he was like last season.    Tanking will take some work anyways, to get to a top five pick. 

If we can't get anything for Brock and garland I don't know how we can expect to trade Pearson or Myers.  

18 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I hope your wrong about that.  If they're producing we should at minimum get low picks.  

I think Boeser, for sure, would be a straight hockey trade.......hopefully for a #4-5 dman making similar money, preferably a million or so less.  I think Garland would be similar.

Not many teams can take on salary without sending salary back.  Best case scenario you get someone on an expiring deal.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, igorwasgreat said:

Sellers , I am thinking Spencer Martin. It would be interesting if he keeps up his current level, what a desperate team who needs goaltending would give up. Add a Myers or oel to that deal and bring back a top 4 rhd.

Then who is the backup?

1 minute ago, Mando27 said:

Should be sellers but doubt we will. Knowing the Canucks they will just spend more assets to remain a bubble team.

It was reported last 

TDL by Freidman that we took JTM off the trade market 2 weeks prior to the 2022 TDL. Sure seems like history is repeating, only this time it’s Bo. 

• There it is 1

anyone do this?  Would Winnipeg?

Boeser

Dubois

Salomonsson

cap works out, Dubois is a RFA next season and they could flip him if they don't want to pay him.  If they do, Petey, Horvat and PLD down the middle is pretty nice.  

• Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

anyone do this?  Would Winnipeg?

Boeser

Dubois

Salomonsson

cap works out, Dubois is a RFA next season and they could flip him if they don't want to pay him.  If they do, Petey, Horvat and PLD down the middle is pretty nice.  

Would we then move on from Bo, because we have PLD?  Could work out great for us, that’s for sure.