The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks assign Vasily Podkolzin, Jack Rathbone to Abbotsford

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I hope Podz gets the development time he needs with this. 

I think he can become a force to be reckoned with for years to come with by being able to transition to the NHL game and build confidence..

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Even if Studnicka or Pearson are close, I hope BB doesn't change this lineup because it's been dynamite, even with Dries as 3C and Hoglander on our "top line". We've just won 5 out of 6 games and toppled 3 of the best teams in the league - on the road to boot, the worst thing we can do is change our lineup now and put in guys who have been off for weeks. Ride the hot hand, don't put Pearson in on Bo's line.

Good for Podz and Rathbone, we've let them down with their development to be fair, haven't put them in positions to succeed, so hope they get top minutes in the AHL. It's a real shame, they were both supposed to break out this season.

I wonder if it's a combination of us not grooming them properly but also, they jumped into a terrible team. Now we're playing a bit better, they'd probably have a bit more success on the ice (for example, Podz playing with Bo and Miller who are much stronger now than earlier in the season) but it's a balance between getting the kids playing and not messing up a solid lineup.

I think with Rathbone we've sort of let him down. Not given him enough ice time to develop. 

But with Podz, I'm not sure the team did anything wrong. I mean he was given ample ice time in both preseason and in the first 15 games. He definitely regressed and wasn't even showing flashes of high end skill. Not sure what happened but he was looking like he did back in the KHL

He doesn't force the play, he isn't a sniper. I think a lot of it is on Podz. 

What did you expect the team to do? Keep playing him? Every coach, regardless of the situation and standings will put the players on the ice who they feel gives them the best chance to win. Podz just hasn't been that player this year.

He is also not a rookie, so to me it's more on him.

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I think with Rathbone we've sort of let him down. Not given him enough ice time to develop. 

But with Podz, I'm not sure the team did anything wrong. I mean he was given ample ice time in both preseason and in the first 15 games. He definitely regressed and wasn't even showing flashes of high end skill. Not sure what happened but he was looking like he did back in the KHL

What did you expect the team to do? Keep playing him? Every coach, regardless of the situation and standings will put the players on the ice who they feel gives them the best chance to win. Podz just hasn't been that player this year.

Rathbone was brutal when he played.  Defensively hes a nightmare.  How did we let him down?  Aside from being a quick skater, he has no other dimensions to his game.  Morevover he has no desire to better the other aspects to his game.  Hes 24 and still cant understand theres more to this game than being a good skater.  Not an nhler. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think it's a lot more complex than just playing him. I think there's a lot of behind the scenes development of our youth we are messing up.

If it was just one player who was struggling, sure I'd blame the player, but almost every young player who comes up through the Canucks has a good year then struggles - the only exceptions you could say are top 5-10 picks. 

Hoglander had a great rookie year then dipped, now he's sort of struggling, sort of finding his game, but his stat line is pretty rubbish and he's playing on our top line. Rathbone was PPG in the AHL and didn't get much of a shot but still didn't blow anyone away.

Podkolzin is really disappointing, he showed great flashes in his first season, had chances and this year just didn't look ready.

I find it hard to believe that it's all on the players. Podz was a top pick and has struggled. Rathbone looked like the AHL's best puck mover and struggled. I think it's more than a coincidence that all our prospects struggle to make an impact in the NHL - there must be a problem with development here we don't see because it's everywhere.

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Yes, I agree.  He had not taken by his force yet and with his strength that he definitely hadn't used that to his advantage.   Maybe demotion will do him world of good and work harder for that spot.   Entitlement hadn't worked great amongst the youngsters, and he needs to prove himself to us that he is deserving of that spot.  Hopefully that it will spark a fire in him and turn things around.

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Rathbone was brutal when he played.  Defensively hes a nightmare.  How did we let him down?  Aside from being a quick skater, he has no other dimensions to his game.  Morevover he has no desire to better the other aspects to his game.  Hes 24 and still cant understand theres more to this game than being a good skater.  Not an nhler. 

To be fair, all the defense in the first 10 games were brutal defensively. 

Your being very quick to judge a rookie defensemen. Saying he has no other dimensions and no desire to get better? Did you completely write off Hughes after his first season where he was like -30? No, because offensive D usually take longer to adjust to the defensive side.

What I'm saying is that his defensive stats couldn't have been worse than Stillman's. Rathbone wasn't given an opportunity to come back into the lineup and show he is progressing. 

Young players shouldn't sit in the pressbox for a month without being given opportunities. I think that is miss management.

I'm not disagreeing that his play hasn't been stellar, but how does he get better if he doesn't play? That's the miss management part

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

I wanted him moved while he still had some value as a sweetener.  I don't think it's likely that he'll ever learn how to play defence.

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I wanted him moved while he still had some value as a sweetener.  I don't think it's likely that he'll ever learn how to play defence.

This is such a laughable take, the defensive side can be taught, and guys are far from a lost cause at only 24 with less than 50 games experience. 

55 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Why is Podz going to the farm team? Is that what happens when you get into your first fight in the NHL and you get demoted? 

Because it's better for his development than being stapled to the fourth line or sitting in the press box. They'll have control over how Podz is deployed in Abbotsford, he's more likely to get a larger role in Abbotsford than he would in Vancouver. Same goes for Rathbone. Vancouver has a logjam of forwards up front and it just hasn't been beneficial. 

Canucks fans have been spoiled in recent years by having players like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes jump in and immediately make an impact at the NHL level but that just isn't realistic for every first round pick. Even top ten picks. Podz isn't too good to see AHL time, it may very well be better for his development. If they want him to to be more than a middle six player perhaps giving him a top six role in Abbotsford will help.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

On 11/28/2022 at 5:11 PM, DeNiro said:

Just Studnicka?

Someone else will be taking a roster spot too no?

Pearson close?

Pearson back? Hopefully not! 

And as much as I liked to watch Podz, I wish he'd have had development time down there instead, at least he knows what it takes, the way it went. 

Would be nice to see D&H get some time in with him and help him home his craft even further and build up his confidence.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:17 PM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I think Dermott, and Poolman is working out again too.

Oh yeah I forgot Dermott had been practicing with the team in a grey non contact jersey, nice to have a 2nd pairing D back in the lineup. 

Some might argue he's quietly really good and doesn't make many mistakes but doesn't provide much offense but who the F cares if he helps the team keep the puck out of our net, it's not like we don't have enough scoring up front. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1