The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Boeser isn’t fast enough to warrant playing with Miller and Bo. 

Agreed. Nor has he played well enough to earn that spot. Would rather see a player like Lazar, who actually plays hard, given the opportunity. Hopefully this is to increase Boeser's trade value.

It was unfortunate to see Pettersson get pushed off the puck so easily last night and it was Lars Eller who did that... He even tried to lay the reverse hit on Eller, I know it was one hit but it lead to a goal. If he can't put on some muscle, I wonder if we should play him as a winger they usually aren't the player that goes behind the net to help the D retrieve the puck that is the responsibility of the C.

I am not trying to make a big thing out of this, but EP gets pushed around quite easily. It reminds me of watching Raymond as a Canuck...the guy would fall to the ice all the time. Need to get EP a winger with some size and grit or get him a C like that and move him to the wing. I know JT and Bo are playing well together but JT was EP's C last year when he posted 99pts, wouldn't mind seeing that get used again this year.

Anyways, it is time to direct our attention to the Panthers game on Thursday, hope the boys can turn it around and come out with a solid effort. GO Canucks GO!

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hoglander scores and gets demoted.

Burroughs makes one mistake and is out of the lineup.

This is not what accountability looks like. This is a special set of rules for certain players. We saw it too much under Green. You can tell they were just waiting for one bad game to put Stillman back in…

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Meh I have no problem with these changes. Burroughs struggled last game. Give Stillman another chance. Hoglander finally scored after playing with those guys for how long? The Dries Boeser combo has been a liability. 

No problems with these changes after a loss for me 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hoglander scores and gets demoted.

Burroughs makes one mistake and is out of the lineup.

This is not what accountability looks like. This is a special set of rules for certain players. We saw it too much under Green. You can tell they were just waiting for one bad game to put Stillman back in…

Stillman has proven nothing. The whole team stunk last night. When will Myers sit? 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

It's starting to feel like those 3 straight road wins are going to end up being the highlight of the season. I keep thinking this team might just start putting it all together and go on a few good runs, but the evidence is mounting that they are unable to play consistent high-level hockey. I've already stopped watching whole games, instead just tuning in once in a while, which is unfortunate as the Canucks have been a big part of keeping me entertained during our gloomy grey winters for many years. The Canucks haven't always been good (and have frankly been pretty lousy many seasons!) but I always felt like they were at least putting in solid efforts as scrappy underdogs, and this year doesn't feel like that. Now when they lose, they just look awful, with no fight or pushback. I just don't enjoy watching that at all. Damn shame it is.

True. The biggest issue is the lack of consistency and identity. As long as those two aspects of the team are lacking, this will be the norm.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

41 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Over time they become predictable. They'll get a few wins but they don't have what is needed to win more than 3. Their defense can't play above themselves for more than about 2 games and wins seem to make the scorers overrate themselves and they go back to endless passing on the pp, miller's backpasses and horvat seems to disappear. I thought they could run n gun but they can't for more than a few and even if they made the playoffs they are the antithesis of what a playoff team is. 

This game closed the door for me on the team being able to improve. I'll still watch the games but giving up hope of anything more than an average year.

Since they have some good assets to be moved i'd be as happy watching stillman, rathbone, lockwood, podz get better with petey and with some great draft capital (fingers crossed for lottery luck and bedard) as i would be watching a rollercoaster that goes nowhere.

8 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

It's starting to feel like those 3 straight road wins are going to end up being the highlight of the season. I keep thinking this team might just start putting it all together and go on a few good runs, but the evidence is mounting that they are unable to play consistent high-level hockey. I've already stopped watching whole games, instead just tuning in once in a while, which is unfortunate as the Canucks have been a big part of keeping me entertained during our gloomy grey winters for many years. The Canucks haven't always been good (and have frankly been pretty lousy many seasons!) but I always felt like they were at least putting in solid efforts as scrappy underdogs, and this year doesn't feel like that. Now when they lose, they just look awful, with no fight or pushback. I just don't enjoy watching that at all. Damn shame it is.

Welcome to the club guys BYOB

• Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Stillman has proven nothing. The whole team stunk last night. When will Myers sit? 

Tbf I thought Myers played well, made a nice pass for a near breakaway too. Stillman should not be in over Burroughs at all, especially after only one meh game. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Tbf I thought Myers played well, made a nice pass for a near breakaway too. Stillman should not be in over Burroughs at all, especially after only one meh game. 

I mean Burroughs is also being asked to play on his offside with the chaos giraffe. Like give the guy a break!

Whats Stillmans excuse? He’s actually playing on his right side on that pair.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Neutral said:

It was unfortunate to see Pettersson get pushed off the puck so easily last night and it was Lars Eller who did that... He even tried to lay the reverse hit on Eller, I know it was one hit but it lead to a goal. If he can't put on some muscle, I wonder if we should play him as a winger they usually aren't the player that goes behind the net to help the D retrieve the puck that is the responsibility of the C.

I am not trying to make a big thing out of this, but EP gets pushed around quite easily. It reminds me of watching Raymond as a Canuck...the guy would fall to the ice all the time. Need to get EP a winger with some size and grit or get him a C like that and move him to the wing. I know JT and Bo are playing well together but JT was EP's C last year when he posted 99pts, wouldn't mind seeing that get used again this year.

Anyways, it is time to direct our attention to the Panthers game on Thursday, hope the boys can turn it around and come out with a solid effort. GO Canucks GO!

I think there's two parts to the discussion. The size of some Canucks players *and* if a Ref isn't calling holds or interference. In the Caps-Canucks game it seemed that the Refs were okay with the Caps holding or interfering or even potentially boarding, so that meant the Canucks had to push back physically and they did not. Pettersson's size really showed due to this scenario of Refs mostly putting away their whistles. It's likely what would happen in the playoffs, where rougher play is more allowed. A stronger, bigger Pettersson could physically stand up in those moments. His puck handling is great, but without the weight he gets pushed off pucks too much.

Pettersson's size is a bigger issue than people realize.

In general, I think the Caps recognized their size advantage and pushed the Canucks around. I think all teams will use that strategy against the Canucks moving forward. Skate around in circles and be more physical - combined it makes the Canucks crumble.

Just now, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I think there's two parts to the discussion. The size of some Canucks players *and* if a Ref isn't calling holds or interference. In the Caps-Canucks game it seemed that the Refs were okay with the Caps holding or interfering or even potentially boarding, so that meant the Canucks had to push back physically and they did not. Pettersson's size really showed due to this scenario of Refs mostly putting away their whistles. It's likely what would happen in the playoffs, where rougher play is more allowed. A stronger, bigger Pettersson could physically stand up in those moments. His puck handling is great, but without the weight he gets pushed off pucks too much.

Pettersson's size is a bigger issue than people realize.

In general, I think the Caps recognized their size advantage and pushed the Canucks around. I think all teams will use that strategy against the Canucks moving forward. Skate around in circles and be more physical - combined it makes the Canucks crumble.

I will give Elias credit that at least he tries to bring the physical play. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I agree. Myers was good. I vividly remember a back check where he skated quickly from the opposing end and physically stopped a player from a good scoring chance as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, grandmaster said:

I agree. Myers was good. I vividly remember a back check where he skated quickly from the opposing end and physically stopped a player from a good scoring chance as well. 

Myers might have some trade value right now too.  Pittsburgh maybe?