The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

tarde Miller for whatever you can, retain on this year to maximize value try to just get picks or young players and cap space

Boeser - trade - same as above

Garland - move for late pick + cap space

Pearson - might have to just waive and put in minors, his value can be to help develop young guys, he won a cup 

Myers - try to move whenever - might be moveable after Jul 1 2023 when Canucks pay out his bonus and he is only owed 1 million left on his contract, despite 6M cap hit

Schenn - move for a pick and re sign to a contract in off season, he is 33 he has value as a culture carrier, he would resign here if we offer him 2 yrs I bet

re sign Bo

re sign Kuzmenko

use some cap on a 3C and right side D

podkolzin needs to be a top 9 forward.

• RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

I see him trying to use positioning more on defense (he likes to intercept pucks) but I can't deny it's more of an offensive physicality.

I mean, he got his contract and he's still doing it so not sure why that's mentioned? If it was just to cash in he could ease up, but he hasn't.

It's just that he's more offensively minded and he's pretty good offensively. So not sure we can fault him for that.

i dont fault him at all offensively and doing most of those in the offensive zone. i just find it hard to watch every time the puck is going back towards our zone on a break and he's behind the play he just sort of gives up and starts gliding back.. i really haven't seen any effort in him chasing a play defensively when he's beaten.. last year it was noticeable this year it's even more noticeable and put under a magnifying glass. if Miller stops doing these stupid blind back hand pass up the middle.. and show some effort in chasing a play when he's beaten.. i'd be happy with him.. but given that's his style forever now i really dont see him changing. i don't need him to be this great 2 way defensive center.. but scoring all these points but giving up all these goals offset each other.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

The weather also factors in as people were trapped in that nightmare after the Tuesday night game and sat for HOURS on the highways.

Plus, with Christmas on the horizon many are budgeting for that.

Sure, some will drop away but this fanbase is pretty solid. It's not like we haven't been through adversity before....we still love hockey here.

I'm not saying we're in danger of the team moving. I'm just saying the team is going to be in a lull until things get fixed. 

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dont fault him at all offensively and doing most of those in the offensive zone. i just find it hard to watch every time the puck is going back towards our zone on a break and he's behind the play he just sort of gives up and starts gliding back.. i really haven't seen any effort in him chasing a play defensively when he's beaten.. last year it was noticeable this year it's even more noticeable and put under a magnifying glass. if Miller stops doing these stupid blind back hand pass up the middle.. and show some effort in chasing a play when he's beaten.. i'd be happy with him.. but given that's his style forever now i really dont see him changing. i don't need him to be this great 2 way defensive center.. but scoring all these points but giving up all these goals offset each other.

The one thing people don't really understand is...how hard it is to play that physical game (live on the glass gives a good perspective). Sure, he looks lazy but he invests a LOT of energy out there on offense. Last night, for instance, on the pp...he's one of the guys moving around...trying to reposition and change things up a bit. He is physical in the offensive zone and, at times, maybe he's depleted more than lazy. 

I don't argue that it HAS to improve and that some of these plays are him "just giving up". I just think we have to be fair and think of the energy he does invest in offense and that sometimes he's just gassed.

42 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Rid of Miller, Brock, Myers, Pearson and Probably Bo as well... 

OEL is going nowhere, Bear and QH can be kept and Burroughs + Schenn as 6-8 D-men

To me nobody is safe, as we need to stock up on prospects and picks (1st and 2nd round picks)...

Even QH and Petey may be in play depending on return, but hope Petey will lead the next generation.

That's a retool, is it a not?  Personally, I think pivot is a better term.

I keep Bo at all costs if he wants to be there and build around Petey, Bo, Podz, Hogz and Demko.  I also keep OEL, Bear, schenn, lazar, Joshua and Aman for support.......Myers and Pearson likely have to stay until they expire.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

The one thing people don't really understand is...how hard it is to play that physical game. Sure, he looks lazy but he invests a LOT of energy on offense. Last night, for instance, on the pp...he's one of the guys moving around...trying to reposition and change things up a bit. He is physical in the offensive zone and, at times, maybe he's depleted more than lazy. 

I don't argue that it HAS to improve and that some of these plays are him "just giving up". I just think we have to be fair and think of the energy he does invest in offense and that sometimes he's just gassed.

haha he needs to get on EP's cardio routine coz he's flying out there in the offensive zone and diving at everything in the defensive zone :D

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Hes' a good player.

He's not too old or over paid. 

Love seeing him and Bo dominate. 

Those two together...aren't they fun to watch? I LOVE the way they connect and it's becoming a real thing. 

Neither can go...nope.

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Good win.

And, yes we will sign Bo.

I think this slow moving brass at least sees that having 3 guys, Bo, JT and EP, that can play top6 centre roles is a strong situtation. One that is an envy of most teams as it is very hard to aquire.

In for a fun ride. 

Hope Brock finds a good home, that is a good kid right there. 

The gamble of patience,  does any players value go up or down if you wait.? Waiting does present other player trade options,  While giving themselves the time to do this right. Not an easy task to address the back end as well securing horvat. Miller horvat boeser.?Who’s more expendable ? Looks like boeser. If so then waiting makes sense. 

Just now, -DLC- said:

Those two together...aren't they fun to watch? I LOVE the way they connect and it's becoming a real thing. 

Neither can go...nope.

They are a menace when they enter the zone. Guys that can do it all. 

They need a better 3rd guy though. I dont think Hogs can cut  it. He gifted a few to many passes/ turn overs last night

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

haha he needs to get on EP's cardio routine coz he's flying out there in the offensive zone and diving at everything in the defensive zone :D

Petey's an anomaly. No one's quite like Petey.

That's one guy...as I said, many others need to work on it. Petey isn't one of them...as he's already done the work and it's showing.

It's not just cardio...it's the toll a physical game takes on the body.

Just now, bishopshodan said:

They are a menace when they enter the zone. Guys that can do it all. 

They need a better 3rd guy though. I dont think Hogs can cut  it. He gifted a few to many passes/ turn overs last night

I agree.

And they're developing a good sense of where the other'll be and what they'll do. "Chemistry". Matters.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Even if Horvat had the better trade value, re-signing Miller for that reason is a poor one. Horvat has something that most, if not all UFA agents, can't really do.

Exactly! If the FO would have truly committed to the core with a Defense rebuild and new coaching in offseason, then resigning JT and Bo makes sense. If you do what they are doing/did (nothing except lob insults), resigning JT was a terrible decision. Bo>JT everyday. On a slumping team, JT is just another anchor contract; not the $, it’s the term that’s untradable.

Once again, I was a big fan of the resign….but thought it would come with another big RHD signing and additional coaching moves. In addition, thought Bo would be signed by first game too.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

The gamble of patience,  does any players value go up or down if you wait.? Waiting does present other player trade options,  While giving themselves the time to do this right. Not an easy task to address the back end as well securing horvat. Miller horvat boeser.?Who’s more expendable ? Looks like boeser. If so then waiting makes sense. 

Timing is everything.

When I used to compete in karate people sometimes would ask what is the best attribute....speed, strength, technique?....I would answer ...timing. 

• Cheers 1