The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its likely Luke Schenn and his wife wanting to be together. I doubt Schenn wants to travel back and forth, and rather just have his wife with him so he can be part of the process.

Schenn in his interview said that when he was with Tampa during the bubble, left his wife for 90 days with a 2 month old baby (2nd child) and echoed that he and his wife do not want to go through something like that again. So my guess is that Schenn wants his wife settled along with him.

Bingo! I’m saying the same thing…..not sure why some are having trouble understanding this! Maybe they don’t have kids, but even so it should be common sense. 

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would prefer D and centers if we’re giving up 2nds.

Wingers are the easiest position to find. Don’t need to be giving up prime assets for them. Especially not project players.

I'd don't disagree, but that was good use of a 2nd, imo.  He just got derailed by injuries.  He was a great linemate for Bo and was a good contributor when healthy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

For me, I think the thought process goes like this:

1.  We know only a contender will want Schenn's services. 

2.  If the pick is a 2nd rounder or better, then pull the trigger on a trade (this would be a late 2nd round pick).

3.  If the pick is a 3rd rounder, then keep him (a late 3rd round pick wouldn't move the needle enough for me to move a leader like Schenn).

4.  If the pick is a 3rd rounder, but we also get a B tier prospect or better, then pull the trigger (B tier = Klimovich or Rathbone level IMO)

5.  If the pick is a 3rd rounder, but we also get a C tier prospect or worse, then keep Schenn (C tier = Noah Juulsen equivalent).

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

For me, I think the thought process goes like this:

1.  We know only a contender will want Schenn's services. 

2.  If the pick is a 2nd rounder or better, then pull the trigger on a trade (this would be a late 2nd round pick).

3.  If the pick is a 3rd rounder, then keep him (a late 3rd round pick wouldn't move the needle enough for me to move a leader like Schenn).

4.  If the pick is a 3rd rounder, but we also get a B tier prospect or better, then pull the trigger (B tier = Klimovich or Rathbone level IMO)

5.  If the pick is a 3rd rounder, but we also get a C tier prospect or worse, then keep Schenn (C tier = Noah Juulsen equivalent).

First or bust! :towel:

36 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its likely Luke Schenn and his wife wanting to be together. I doubt Schenn wants to travel back and forth, and rather just have his wife with him so he can be part of the process.

Schenn in his interview said that when he was with Tampa during the bubble, left his wife for 90 days with a 2 month old baby (2nd child) and echoed that he and his wife do not want to go through something like that again. So my guess is that Schenn wants his wife settled along with him.

Perhaps, but if he plans on coming back to Vancouver anyway it makes sense that she'd stay settled. Or at least travel once she's recouped enough. Also puts pressure on the Canucks to pull the trigger while she can travel if that's the idea. 

We'll see, but I reckon whichever team trades for him would accommodate him as much as possible. 

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but if he plans on coming back to Vancouver anyway it makes sense that she'd stay settled. Or at least travel once she's recouped enough. Also puts pressure on the Canucks to pull the trigger while she can travel if that's the idea. 

We'll see, but I reckon whichever team trades for him would accommodate him as much as possible. 

While accommodating is nice and all, it doesn’t help when it is almost the same time as the deadline (birth date / trade deadline). So, waiting until the trade deadline isn’t really an option if they coincide as they do. 2-3 weeks apart, different story…she can come with or he gets settled with new team and then gets a leave to come back to Vancouver when it’s time. Trying to coordinate / deal with everything at the same time is too much / damn near impossible and he could miss the birth. Anyone with kids or common sense can see this! 

Edited by IRR

2 minutes ago, IRR said:

While accommodating is nice and all, it doesn’t help when it is almost the same time as the deadline (birth date / trade deadline). So, waiting until the trade deadline isn’t really an option if they coincide as they do. 2-3 weeks apart, different story…she can come with or he gets settled with new team and then gets a leave to come back to Vancouver when it’s time. Trying to coordinate / deal with everything at the same time is too much / damn near impossible and he could miss the birth. Anyone with kids or common sense can see this! 

Hence him being granted leave. Just because he's traded doesn't mean he has to immediately join the team.

Particularly if it's a team like Boston who's long had a playoff spot sewn up. 

That's part of what I mean by accommodating. 

Edited by Coconuts

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think some people are severely missing the boat. I just shake my head when I see comments like well if it's only a late 2nd, or third it's not worth it. It's kind of like they don't understand the reality of things. Assets in hockey are incredibly hard to find, and usually super expensive. It isn't like they are just hanging on trees everywhere. Basically all NHL'ers, come out of the draft. There are 7 rounds ... by definition 2nds and thirds, are the second and third best picks you can get. Therefore in a limited asset world they hold lots of value no matter the chances of success. I guess the alternative is holding on to whatever for "character" and just hoping our 6th and 7th rounders turn into players and/or Bedard refuses to play for anyone except the Canucks.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. I'm getting pretty tired of being the backwards franchise.

Well said. Look I absolutely love Schenn, he's one of my fav's but if we could get a 2nd round pick for him I'd do it in a heart beat ! Not sure about a 3rd but I'd be tempted. Plus as others have said I think he'd come back here, if not as a player I do see a future for him in coaching.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hence him being granted leave. Just because he's traded doesn't mean he has to immediately join the team.

Particularly if it's a team like Boston who's long had a playoff spot sewn up. 

That's part of what I mean by accommodating. 

I suppose that could be done, but again, if it’s right at the same time, it’s a lot (too much) to deal with at the same time regardless. I don’t think he’s wanting to deal with that at that time and wants to have everything squared away either way regardless. I know I would and I’m sure many others would! 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We need both.

It’s a balance though. You can’t just be throwing away 2nd round picks for guys like Vey and Baertschi, but if a player comes along the fits what you’re building you have to be willing to jump on it.

Right now we need to get ourselves in a position where we have extra assets to be able to jump on those deals when they come up though. What Benning did was borrow from our future to pay for now.  We need to be adding to our future while building now.

Of course! Unfortunately there is zero examples of it working in our favor so far. Other teams do it though...100/100 times I do DT for the two 2nds or whatever that deal was. 

Hopefully we are able to add a couple more picks so we have the ability to wheel and deal on the draft floor while need adding a good chunk to our prospect pool

• Cheers 1

Just now, IRR said:

I suppose that could be done, but again, if it’s right at the same time, it’s a lot (too much) to deal with at the same time regardless. I don’t think he’s wanting to deal with that at that time and wants to have everything squared away either way regardless. I know I would and I’m sure many others would! 

And in a best case scenario it'd be resolved asap, we'll see how it goes.

If he is traded I'd be surprised if he wasn't granted some sort of leave though, and there's no way the Canucks won't have made teams aware of his unique scenario. They'll want it handled as smoothly as possible.

We'll see.

Just now, Coconuts said:

And in a best case scenario it'd be resolved asap, we'll see how it goes.

If he is traded I'd be surprised if he wasn't granted some sort of leave though, and there's no way the Canucks won't have made teams aware of his unique scenario. They'll want it handled as smoothly as possible.

We'll see.

Yeah, for sure! I hope so. And, hopefully he’s here long(ish) term regardless. Either signing now or coming back in the summer. If they can sort out a trade asap, then re-sign him in the summer, perfect! 

14 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol you don't think he'll go for a 2nd? 

He could but it's more likely he fetches a 3rd or a 4th. I don't think the NHL will value Schenn the same way the Canucks organization and fans do. Just like Tyler Motte last season 

7 minutes ago, IRR said:

Yeah, for sure! I hope so. And, hopefully he’s here long(ish) term regardless. Either signing now or coming back in the summer. If they can sort out a trade asap, then re-sign him in the summer, perfect! 

I'd be a bit surprised if he didn't come back, he's been quite vocal about wanting to be here