The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

2 hours ago, stawns said:

They need to fix right now first and worry about 5 years from now later on.

Love how you convinced yourself prospects never pan out and if they do it's a minimum of 5 years :lol:

Meanwhile the league is full of 21 yo kids who got paid post ELC already 

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Love how you convinced yourself prospects never pan out and if they do it's a minimum of 5 years :lol:

Meanwhile the league is full of 21 yo kids who got paid post ELC already 

First rounders, absolutely.  I never argued that.  Beyond that most picks never play an NHL game and most second rounders don't get to the NHL until 22-23ish.....the problem is people get fixated on the outliers rather than the norm.

I have to think you work with Schenn on this one.  Give him a legitimate chance to win a cup again (and continue to grow leadership on a team which has it altogether) and play in a city he doesn't mind.  I know it's all about what return we'd get but you have to factor on the return of him in the summer.  If you send him somewhere he's not interested in, he's less likely to trust this organization enough to sign here again.

53 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Package him and Garland up to the peg 

They are looking for top 6 help as well. Chevy was looking at Meier. Maybe if he’s too expensive then yeah Garland/Boeser and Schenn as a package. They have the cap space. Salomonsson would be nice as mentioned above. Wanted him at the draft if we had a 2nd. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Boknows08 said:

They are looking for top 6 help as well. Chevy was looking at Meier. Maybe if he’s too expensive then yeah Garland/Boeser and Schenn as a package. They have the cap space. Salomonsson would be nice as mentioned above. Wanted him at the draft if we had a 2nd. 

Jets would definitely like a guy like Garland who has term left on his contract. That’s like getting a high quality UFA to sign for them. 

Why aren’t we talking about trading Bear instead?  Neither is signed, both are cheap options for contending teams to add depth.

A 2nd for Bear with 50% retained and we win the trade by getting more for him than we paid.

I take Schenn over him any day on the 3rd pairing going forward, and neither of them should be playing higher than that honestly if you want to pretend to have a competitive team.  Bear starts getting expensive when there isn’t salary retention and you have to give him his qualifying offer at least.

Bear for $2.2-2.5 or Schenn for $1.5.   I take the latter.

We can always go find more 3rd pairing D easily enough.  Find the next Bear for cheap who has been pushed out of his roster or fallen out of favour, pump and dump him too.  Rinse repeat until you have enough assets for an actually top 4 guy.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why aren’t we talking about trading Bear instead?  Neither is signed, both are cheap options for contending teams to add depth.

A 2nd for Bear with 50% retained and we win the trade by getting more for him than we paid.

I take Schenn over him any day on the 3rd pairing going forward, and neither of them should be playing higher than that honestly if you want to pretend to have a competitive team.  Bear starts getting expensive when there isn’t salary retention and you have to give him his qualifying offer at least.

Bear for $2.2-2.5 or Schenn for $1.5.   I take the latter.

We can always go find more 3rd pairing D easily enough.  Find the next Bear for cheap who has been pushed out of his roster or fallen out of favour, pump and dump him too.  Rinse repeat until you have enough assets for an actually top 4 guy.

I agree.  I would have Schenn on the 3rd pairing and sign Livingstone to be the 7/8 guy for next year.  I would try and trade Bear for a pick.  If not, I would let him walk.  Same with Dermott.  These guys are all 3rd pairing Dmen which we can get at any time.  Burroughs is a UFA so he'd be gone as well.

I would go hard after Adam Boqvist.  He could be our 2nd unit PP guy and eat minutes in the top 4 as well.  He could be part of the young core.  We would still need a top 4 Dman to play with Hughes.  Not sure who that could be.  

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  I would have Schenn on the 3rd pairing and sign Livingstone to be the 7/8 guy for next year.  I would try and trade Bear for a pick.  If not, I would let him walk.  Same with Dermott.  These guys are all 3rd pairing Dmen which we can get at any time.  Burroughs is a UFA so he'd be gone as well.

I would go hard after Adam Boqvist.  He could be our 2nd unit PP guy and eat minutes in the top 4 as well.  He could be part of the young core.  We would still need a top 4 Dman to play with Hughes.  Not sure who that could be.  

If they are able to sign Livingstone there is no way he can stay in Van as a 7/8 d-man. Schenn does not bring enough to the table, at 34,  for him to be a 3RD on a consistent basis. Time for the org to move on here especially if they can get a pick for him. The d-side game is absolutely brutal. I can easily see only Hughes, OEL and Stillman returning. Yes, I say Stillman because I see improvements in his game. No guarantee but worth developing still. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

-man. Schenn does not bring enough to the table, at 34,  for him to be a 3RD on a consistent basis. Time for the org to move on here especially if they can get a pick for him. The d-side game is absolutely brutal. I can easily see only Hughes, OEL and Stillman returning. Yes, I say Stillman because I see improvements in his game. No guarantee but worth developing still. 

Schenn is a fine 3RD. It's not just about scoring, he is a physical presence and brings the leadership intangibles that are needed with this team.

He is a bit slow in defending against the rush but all defenders have their strengths and weaknesses. 

I think as long as Schenn is not asked to be a first pairing guy, which he has been at times, then he is a valuable player to have around.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2