The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

Just now, combover said:

@aGENT it makes sense if it’s smith. 

Craig smith a 3rd and a prospect for schenn.

Boston gets 

cap relief  

Solid D

van gets 

expiring contract (possibly flip) 

3rd pick 

A prospect

then van retains salary on smith and ships him out as a very cheap depth Center for an additional prospect. 

I think sending Schenn and taking on a cap dump is worth more than a 3rd. Highly dependent on who the prospect is from BOS. Don't think they have many good ones in their system...

What about Schenn + VAN 2023 3rd round pick

for 

Smith + BOS 2023 1st round pick

• Tanks a lot 1

27 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Craig Smith? another C?  and 33 yr old. yeah ok jedi

lol, clearly you don't have a grasp of what's going on. Boston needs to trade him so they can afford to add players. Therefore he will part of a deal to do that. Pretty complicated stuff here. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I think sending Schenn and taking on a cap dump is worth more than a 3rd. Highly dependent on who the prospect is from BOS. Don't think they have many good ones in their system...

for 

Id be good with that but I don’t think Boston would. 

maybe if we threw in a rathbone type prospect we might get them to go to a their  very late first. 

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

for 

Looks like the bruins are getting gavrikov. I think that shuts the door on schenn to the bruins.

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Looks like the bruins are getting gavrikov. I think that shuts the door on schenn to the bruins.

Yeah I would think so too. Still a chance Smith is traded to VAN in order to clear his cap for Gav to join the Bruins though.

What's that worth? A late 3rd round pick? 

Fine by me as long as we have enough cap space to sign Livingstone at the end of the season...

(And so then, as per Alf's balls...Schenn for Foote)

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Not really.

Gavrikov is a lefty, Schenn is a righty.

Schenn makes less than a mil and could easily fit under their cap

McAvoy

Lindholm

Carlo

Forbert

Gavrikov

Grzelcyk

Clifton

(And Zboril,Reilly,Stralman)

That's a lot of Dmen

5 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah I would think so too. Still a chance Smith is traded to VAN in order to clear his cap for Gav to join the Bruins though.

What's that worth? A late 3rd round pick? 

Fine by me as long as we have enough cap space to sign Livingstone at the end of the season...

(And so then, as per Alf's balls...Schenn for Foote)

Would be a ELC contract so no worries about cap hit

26 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Good point. We should only trade for good players, or young ones with lots of potential. Not old ones like Craig Smith. He's almost done with his career.

Also thinking it might be a good idea to trade away our bad players like OEL and Myers.

Nucks management thinks youre being sarcastic on this....

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Would be a ELC contract so no worries about cap hit

If we sign him this season it does matter.

Let's say it's a $950k ELC with a $95k signing bonus (max) and $855k salary. Livingstone will get very little actual salary, but the $95k signing bonus is usually the sweetener for these young NCAA players.

The signing bonus will be pro rata'ed over the remaining days in the season, so if say 10 days left in the 184 day season, then will be $95k x 184/10 = $1.748m cap hit just for the signing bonus. Add in his $855k salary = $2.6m cap hitting the roster in the last 10 days.

Gets worse if its 5 days left in the season, etc. Don't want to use all our space up on bad contracts and miss out on Livingstone.

See below...:ph34r:

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

To Boston 

Schenn

To Vancouver 

Smith

Reilly

1st

2025 2nd

Below how cap hits for in season 1-year ELCs are calculated.  Vancouver in LTIR so their cap space can't accrue but are very much interested in Livingstone who can only sign a 1-year deal.  Similar calcs to Rafferty - now 950K and 95K signing bonus and 185 day season.  Teves signed the same deal but a few weeks earlier so 1.5M cap hit - but no guarantee it can be done early and often the incentive to sign is to burn the ELC.    

• There it is 1