The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] December 7 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - 7:30pm PT/10:30pm ET - SAP Center

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

2 hours ago, VforVasili said:

I vote for ratcheting up the chaos. 10-9 Canucks.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

here we go batman GIF

We're 2 points out of the last wild card spot held by the Av's and 3 points out of the 1st wild card spot held by the Oilers.  I believe Seattle and LA will come down a bit and if the boys keep believing the can very realistically make the playoffs.  I'm still team tank and don't believe we'd make it far in the playoffs but I still can't cheer for them to lose.  The loser mentality is hard to get rid of and it's seeped into this roster since the bubble.  No one wants us to perpetually suck but Bedard is looking like a generational talent.  Tough choices.

Pulled a Don Taylor and bet on the Habs to win last game, got an early payout when the Habs scored their 4 goals in the first.  Bet on the Canucks come back and won that!  Best game of the season so far.  I'll always be happy when the boys win.  I hope the boys can really turn it around.  Stillman with a +3 and 2 points last game, hope he can keep that up today.  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

That was the most fun I’ve had watching sports this year!

I had to put my kid to bed during the first intermission. It took her the whole 2nd period to fall asleep.

I was like time for bed sweetie, daddy’s team is a bunch of losers. Thought I’d at least check the score before I went to bed. Noticed it was 4-2. I was like, well at least it might be interesting. Yeah turned out it was the best third period of hockey ever haha. This team lol

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hard to figure out this model as it seems awfully high on Calgary. Currently 2 pts up on the ‘Nucks with 1 game in hand and their odds are 96% vs 18% for us? Math’s not my specialty but this seems strange.

4E43A6B6-F717-45D7-B457-9F03BAA12A7E.jpeg

Edited by 4petesake

46 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Bruce's post game Montreal comments:

"the thing that i'm really taking away from it and it's happened a couple of time now is, i think our team is starting to believe that when they get down they can still make a game of it and that's a belief that if you have that i mean you're never out it.

i mean they did it themselves and scoring those two goals late in the second i think they started to believe, they came back in the game against arizona, they actually came back against vegas here..we came back in san jose so there's a lot of times where we've kept believing but this one from four down is probably the most belief you can get out of that"

To me that's also coupled with when Bruce first came in - that the team responds well to pressure.    My business required that i poked people, sometimes with humour, sometimes with a kick in the ass.   Bruce isn't a tactical systems coach like Trotz.   But he does have a good sense of pulse on the team.   And has seen it all.    Yeo....is the back-up plan if management decides to pull the plug and watch some guys go down the drain. 

Hope the guys are feeling the pressure.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To me that's also coupled with when Bruce first came in - that the team responds well to pressure.    My business required that i poked people, sometimes with humour, sometimes with a kick in the ass.   Bruce isn't a tactical systems coach like Trotz.   But he does have a good sense of pulse on the team.   And has seen it all.    Yeo....is the back-up plan if management decides to pull the plug and watch some guys go down the drain. 

Hope the guys are feeling the pressure.  

A backup plan that would only compound the problem. Once everyone says trade me. Maybe that was their stealth tank move all along.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Hard to figure out this model as it seems awfully high on Calgary. Currently 2 pts up on the ‘Nucks with 1 game in hand and their odds are 96% vs 18% for us? Math’s not my specialty but this seems strange.

4E43A6B6-F717-45D7-B457-9F03BAA12A7E.jpeg

The Nucks are not wanting to throw in the towel and management is not further crippling the team, so my tanking dreams are spoiled. Hopefully they get back to 500 tonight and keep climbing. Those Edmonton and Calgary games will be extra special. Perhaps they can trade Demko and Miller to Chicago for a first and we may still end up with Bedard....

GCG

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Bruce's post game Montreal comments:

"the thing that i'm really taking away from it and it's happened a couple of time now is, i think our team is starting to believe that when they get down they can still make a game of it and that's a belief that if you have that i mean you're never out it.

i mean they did it themselves and scoring those two goals late in the second i think they started to believe, they came back in the game against arizona, they actually came back against vegas here..we came back in san jose so there's a lot of times where we've kept believing but this one from four down is probably the most belief you can get out of that"

Confidence really weighs in bigtime. A team that loses it can start to struggle, show frustration and try to do too much, etc. A team that's finding success has fun out there and it's a whole different ball game...more relaxed. simple plays versus overplaying, etc.

We have a few pretty great players and if things start clicking, they've shown they CAN beat the best. Sustained in a playoff series? Some write us off but the above all matters...as does goaltending (we've seen how much that matters), injuries, officiating, etc. Teams that get hot at the right time can generate some momentum.

I'm not as convinced as some (most) here that we're brutal and need a complete overhaul. When these guys stay engaged and are keeping it simple, they can win games.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The last time I posted some math, complete with a "math warning", I got fairly roasted by people not very good at math.

But this 93.4 points and 56% chance for LA can be interpolated to 92 points 50% (or "500") as the benchmark for making the playoffs as there are now 32 teams and half are eliminated.

Over 82 games, .500 is no longer 82 points, but 92 points due to the statistical average of 23% of games extending to be 3 point games.

Now GO CANUCKS GO!

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1