The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The current team is awful, so lets talk about some good moments

Rate this topic

awalk

4 minutes ago, awalk said:

That was a really fun time to be a fan. Sedins were developing into regular players, Naslund was in his prime, and Linden was back with the team. Good times.

2000's era into the early 2010's was a great time to be a fan, I was spoiled growing up with competitive, and sometimes great, Canuck teams

And then a descent into darkness and mediocrity, but despite what anyone has to say I'm still here 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I've often wondered why no other players practice this move. If you can master the technique, it's probably 50/50 or better as long as you also practice shooting straight in for the double fake.

It was like you knew he was 100% going to score every single shootout attempt.

16 hours ago, awalk said:

It was like you knew he was 100% going to score every single shootout attempt.

This is one of the more memorable ones - breaking the Red Wings win streak. I remember the coach had put several others in first for shootout, and each time I was cursing out loud "put Burrows in!!!". When they finally put him in, I started celebrating the win before Alex had left center ice. It's like you knew he was going to score :towel:

• Like 2

Happy new year everyone, thanks to all who shared some of their favorite moments. Despite not winning that elusive Cup ...yet... we have had some pretty amazing times as Canucks fans. Here's to many more... and hopefully that damn Cup, sometime soon.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

If only the Sedins peaked earlier we'd have won a bunch of cups ... thanks for sharing.   Man those guys looked young lol... expect the Sedins and Naslund, they still look the same lol. 

Our D back then was such a solid group 

I miss the days of Ohlund, Mitchell, Salo, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff, and so on 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Remember when we used to have REAL fighters on our team.......  Those were the days......

Yes.   Canucks had rough tough, strong teams growing up.  Snepsts, Delorme, Fraser, Williams, Neelly the Strangler ... and then even more so with Coxe, Odjick, Momesso, Petit,  Hunter, Antoski, Stajanov, Diduck, Babych, Sandlak etc ... and a little later Walker, Scatchard (he had a beauty against Joe Thornton) and Walker versus Petit is a must add video ... RU Serious i would if could ever figure out how to do that lol..,and of course Brashear who his second season, like Odjick's meanest seasons had around 30 fights, won every single fight (that's extremely rare!), against some very tough opponents ... never seen anything like it before or since.   Watched him destroy some guys in MTL before we got him, so knew we were getting something unique.   Brashear was one of the most feared fighters during a time when things escalated and goons got full-time jobs.   

As for Bertuzzi.   Fought a lot of bullies growing up.   Much bigger than me, couldn't earn respect if you didn't fight, and well practically everyone was actually bullied growing up in my generation at one point or another and i hated bullies.    My Dad kept me from being a rage monster, but nothing bugs me more then a big guy picking on a little guy.   He was no Roberts, Iginla,  Clarke, Scott Stevens, Tochett, Corson, Shanny  etc etc etc (Shanny fought Brashear when he was close to retirement, Roberts at 41 destroyed 235lb Bieksa rage monster Ben Eager) .. never fought anyone close to his size and there was plenty of chances .. McAllister vs Parker would have been a better video.   I'm sure Walker, Rypien and Mike Keane would have Zortinied Big Bert, same with Bieksa.    

Jovo vs Deadmarsh is legendary, as is 2.0.    Guy was all out (Jovo-cop).    The league isn't like that anymore for better or for worse.   Reaves lol.   No way he'd come close to surviving 25 plus years ago against that sort of competition.   Brashear would make mincemeat pie,  Brookbank and maybe even Brad May who wasn't a top 30 fighter in the 90's early 2000's, probably would do ok.   McGratton is the leagues last monster.   

But do appreciate this!  And get her some folks are frustrated that current players that have the tools, are reluctant or rarely use it.   Fighting and enforcing used to be used as a tactic and a way to keep things honest.    Used to be 200 FMajors were the norm as well during the pre-season.   Not for a very long time now.   At least Schenn gets it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   Canucks had rough tough, strong teams growing up.  Snepsts, Delorme, Fraser, Williams, Neelly the Strangler ... and then even more so with Coxe, Odjick, Momesso, Petit,  Hunter, Antoski, Stajanov, Diduck, Babych, Sandlak etc ... and a little later Walker, Scatchard (he had a beauty against Joe Thornton) and Walker versus Petit is a must add video ... RU Serious i would if could ever figure out how to do that lol..,and of course Brashear who his second season, like Odjick's meanest seasons had around 30 fights, won every single fight (that's extremely rare!), against some very tough opponents ... never seen anything like it before or since.   Watched him destroy some guys in MTL before we got him, so knew we were getting something unique.   Brashear was one of the most feared fighters during a time when things escalated and goons got full-time jobs.   

As for Bertuzzi.   Fought a lot of bullies growing up.   Much bigger than me, couldn't earn respect if you didn't fight, and well practically everyone was actually bullied growing up in my generation at one point or another and i hated bullies.    My Dad kept me from being a rage monster, but nothing bugs me more then a big guy picking on a little guy.   He was no Roberts, Iginla,  Clarke, Scott Stevens, Tochett, Corson, Shanny  etc etc etc (Shanny fought Brashear when he was close to retirement, Roberts at 41 destroyed 235lb Bieksa rage monster Ben Eager) .. never fought anyone close to his size and there was plenty of chances .. McAllister vs Parker would have been a better video.   I'm sure Walker, Rypien and Mike Keane would have Zortinied Big Bert, same with Bieksa.    

Jovo vs Deadmarsh is legendary, as is 2.0.    Guy was all out (Jovo-cop).    The league isn't like that anymore for better or for worse.   Reaves lol.   No way he'd come close to surviving 25 plus years ago against that sort of competition.   Brashear would make mincemeat pie,  Brookbank and maybe even Brad May who wasn't a top 30 fighter in the 90's early 2000's, probably would do ok.   McGratton is the leagues last monster.   

Didick was also a good scrapper. Good mobility.HARD shot.  Very underrated in canucks history 

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1