The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Dec. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, Maginator said:

I've been hard on Bo as a captain but he put the team on his back tonight. If he would sign for 7.5M-8M I would do it.

If that's the case, an OEL buyout this summer is a must to get under the cap. Terrible trade by JB now looking back. Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Myers all need to go too in order to make it work. Kuz needs to stay too.

Keep what is working and get rid of the rest.. fill in the gaps with guys who are willing to bleed for the Canucks. Management knows how to find these types of guys so I'm not worried (Joshua, Lazar, Åman, Pederson, Bear, Stillman). Podz and Hogz can make the jump back up next year too. That would really help. A year in the A is key. Gutsy move by management but it's the best long-term.

Pederson - Pettersson - Kuz

Mikheyev - Bo - Podz

Hoglander - Miller - _____

Joshua - Åman - Lazar

Studnicka

Hughes - Bear/Schenn

_____ - Bear/Schenn

Stillman - _____

Burroughs

Demko

Martin

Delia

Hoping Pederson can be another diamond in the rough to play with the Pettersson/Kuz duo. If he sticks that would be amazing.

Some big/tough defenseman to fill in the gaps would be ideal too.

This wins got me feeling optimistic. Back to .500... Come on boys, have a great Christmas and let's get this train rolling in the new year!!

That looks like more of the same insanity.

I want Bo traded to shake things up and pad the prospect pool. Hopefully management brings in the right players as replacements.

We have needed a top pairing dman forever and we have sorely missed the pk skills of players like beagle and Roussel,  etc.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

According to you. If we get into the playoffs, we need more Millers not less Millers. He's built for playoffs.

We aren't beating the Oilers last night without him.

It was a nice win last night. Miller played a big part. Some of us, @Stawns, have suggested the Miller contract, term and amount, do not fit this rosters CUP timeline. Serious CUP contention is what I want to see. If this year's team makes the playoffs I doubt they go very deep. I hope I am wrong. I hope that PA can flip a player or two and change how this team plays in the d-zone. If he can then maybe my view on the group changes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It was a nice win last night. Miller played a big part. Some of us, @Stawns, have suggested the Miller contract, term and amount, do not fit this rosters CUP timeline. Serious CUP contention is what I want to see. If this year's team makes the playoffs I doubt they go very deep. I hope I am wrong. I hope that PA can flip a player or two and change how this team plays in the d-zone. If he can then maybe my view on the group changes. 

I think our core (Demko, Petey, Hughes, Bo, Miller) is good enough to win providing the supporting group is excellent.  It appears, from their term, current management has two years more to improve that supporting cast and make us a winner. 

So who, from the supporting group, that eats cap and has term, is on the outs?  I’d say Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Myers, OEL. It’s only a matter of when and what the return will be.  (OEL could be a buyout.)

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

That looks like more of the same insanity.

I want Bo traded to shake things up and pad the prospect pool. Hopefully management brings in the right players as replacements.

We have needed a top pairing dman forever and we have sorely missed the pk skills of players like beagle and Roussel,  etc.

We have a great top pairing D in Hughes.  We need Tanev back, who was the ideal partner.  

12 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Well, the good news is we might end up 17th or 18 in the league again this year. Great win. In addition to that, we can look forward to losing Bo Horvat because of more genius strategies from the front office, and watch JT Miller make 7 million until he's 36 as a consolation prise. 

Merry Christmas 

Happy Merry Christmas GIF by SWR3

Thanks for the positive input Mr. Grinch. A Merry Christmas to you and your little dog.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I didn't think Miller was noticeable, other than on the PP and that's the way it is for most games.  They've got plenty of guys who can play in that spot on the PP

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Don't look now but I think Myers is actually leading the team in +/-? 

He’s not, that would be Petey. But for all you Chaos Giraffe “fans”, Myers finished tied for 2nd best +/- on the team last year at +15.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think our core (Demko, Petey, Hughes, Bo, Miller) is good enough to win providing the supporting group is excellent.  It appears, from their term, current management has two years more to improve that supporting cast and make us a winner. 

So who, from the supporting group, that eats cap and has term, is on the outs?  I’d say Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Myers, OEL. It’s only a matter of when and what the return will be.  (OEL could be a buyout.)

Pretty much agree Alf. If Bo doesn't want to return, then it comes down to the trade, what comes back. Also, pretty much any trade for any player can work, if it's a good deal. I'd say Petey is the only one you just don't move, especially given the fact he wants to be here, that and get Kuz re-signed!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

E.P.       41 points in 31 games

Bo         35          in 33 games

J.T.        30          in  33     

Kruze    29         in 32

Quinn    28         in 29

Yet still a .500 hockey team that is a minus -15   

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

E.P.       41 points in 31 games

Bo         35          in 33 games

J.T.        30          in  33     

Kruze    29         in 32

Quinn    28         in 29

Yet still a .500 hockey team that is a minus -15   

Demko, our most important core player, was trying to play through injury (it finally got him) and it had him playing poorly.  Plus, we need to support or key core five (four at the moment with Demko out) with a much better supporting cast.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

"Also, OEL’s +/- has been a victim of poor goaltending"
Oh wow, I guess the other D on the Canucks played in front of different goaltenders than OEL.because Myers is +5 and Schenn is +4. In addition. a lot of Myers time is killing penalties, something that OEL has had mostly reduced in recent times because of poor results. Myers doesn't play PP. All the time we are concerned about here with this pairing is even strength and 200 minutes of even strength is a lot of time. That's if the <200 minutes figure is to be believed. Source?

OEL cap hit is 7,2 mil, but he isn't worth half that, which is why he would be untradeable even if there was no no-trade clause. About his only talent is that he can get his shots through to the net - not that many of them go in. Even with second unit PP time (first unit when Hughes is aiuling) OEL has one goal - Schenn, Burroughs, and Bear have more with no PP time. 

But OEL does lead the D in something - minus. But that is the goalie's fault because we have different goalies in when Schenn and Myers are on the ice - according to you.

I think you should come up with another theory - get over the puppy love with OEL.

"

Naturalstattrick.com - dpairs check it out, I dont make sh!t up.

Did I not say that yes he does make bad plays from time to time? Pretty sure I did. L2read.

How about that dump in on Thursday night that Martin let in? Or the game before where Martin kicked the puck out waaaaay into the high slot with terrible rebound control that gave STL an easy snipe, not OELs fault. Definitely on the goalie. These are just a few off the top of my head bad goals that our goalies are letting in. You want to completely sell your case on +/- maybe do a little investigating.

heres somethin for ya. OEL has more goals than Hughes. Sup wit dat bro? 7.8 mil for nothin? How much PP time??? Whats goin on there bro? Your boy Hughes aint gettin called out. Hughes has 13 pts at ES. OELs got 11. Hughes aint worth shit according to you. Hell Hughes has been on the ice for 54 goals for and 45 against in all situations. Take away powerplay time and he drops to 33GF and 33GA with weaker match ups. OEL has been on the ice for 34GF and 47GA in all situations. Take away PP/PK and he drops down to 28GF and 36GA so OEL with the tougher matchups like McDavid and Draisaitl like last night, gets scored on about the same as Hughes who goes against the buttplugs of the league. Take your ignorance elsewhere, cuz Hughes aint gunna score many goals when he doesnt take shots, always lookin for the perfect pass. Getting your shots through traffic is a very valuable skill to have. L2hockey.

Hughes highest paid dman on the team 0 goals #1 PP unit 13pts at even strength, on the ice for just as many goals if not more than everyone else. That is all. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

imac pointing out that Myers and OEL got the McDavid matchup for the night and did a good job (outside of that goal with 5 seconds left in the 1st. ) 

Funny how those two can put in the occasional night where they look like a #1 pairing.  A lot less frequently this year but with Bruce going back to them lately maybe they find that chemistry they had last season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

imac pointing out that Myers and OEL got the McDavid matchup for the night and did a good job (outside of that goal with 5 seconds left in the 1st. ) 

Funny how those two can put in the occasional night where they look like a #1 pairing.  A lot less frequently this year but with Bruce going back to them lately maybe they find that chemistry they had last season.

This is what I’ve been screaming all season. Why they hell arent they sticking to OEL and Myers as a pair

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Outlier year?  JT miller is the posters child for outlier years . Sweet baby Jesus. Look at JT millers stats and age. 

Since Miller has joined the nuks he has averaged 1.1 points per game, a 54% face off rate, overall +8 and 14 gwg.

He had 72 pts in 69 games his first season with us, guess you could have called that an outlier year too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

This is what I’ve been screaming all season. Why they hell arent they sticking to OEL and Myers as a pair

To be fair, they looked terrible to start the year (everyone did) but yeah kind of surprised it took this long to try it again. 

Im pretty sure OEL was hurt to start the year, too, so maybe they’ll look better this time. iirc - wasn’t Myers a little banged up too and missed the first few games?

• Cheers 2