The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why don't the Canucks get lie-flat seats for their plane?

Rate this topic

dougieL

20 minutes ago, RomanP said:

So, you want Canucks to get the full bed seats and in the same breath praise a regular first class seats for Dallas? You realize that the seats on the Stars plane are not full length beds?

They fully recline. 

"It can accommodate up to 71 total passengers, includes 24 fully-reclining, 360-degree swiveling sleeper seats for the players, and has 47 other first-class seats located in three other sections throughout the plane. "

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/stars-unveil-new-team-plane/c-450061

3 hours ago, dougieL said:

I just wonder if it might be a worthy investment given how hard our travel schedule is year after year. If you add up the extra hours of better quality sleep in more comfortable positions over 6 months, year after year, it may amount to something nontrivial. In the salary cap era, every team needs to find competitive advantages elsewhere, and I think this is somewhat of an obvious one. Might also be a selling point when attracting free agents.

Let’s go bigger with cryo chambers!!!!!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dougieL said:

Given how much travelling the team does and how important rest is, I don't understand why they don't invest in lie-flat seats for the team plane.

https://youtu.be/kVCLSrllCKA

Edit: I understand it would be expensive and probably would require a larger plane, but it seems like it would be something that could tangibly improve player performance.

10 hours ago, dougieL said:

I remember there was a photo of Quinn Hughes sleeping on the floor between two rows of seats. It seems that improving the plane would be such a worthy investment.

10 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

They do enough lying flat during the games.

Great point. I don't see why they can't charter a plane with lie-flat seats. While lie-flat tickets are more expensive, that is because lie-flat seats take up more than twice as much space as regular seats. It doesn't cost significantly more to build, say, a Boeing 767 with lie-flat seats instead of regular seats. It looked like that plane had  plenty of space.in it.

I looked into this once and it turns out that the evidence is that people feel and performance much better the next day if they can lie flat instead of trying to sleep while seated or while on an angle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Well at least the team has Myers.   Pretty much forces the leg room and especially neck length head space doesn't it?

There is a picture of WNP players flying during one of their runs before Big Buff retired.   Guys simply enormous, and it was a pretty sweet plane.  Guys had their own row if they wanted - and the seats were big enough to fit him with a pretty good lie down option.   So it's not like other teams haven't or don't invest in this.   QHs lying on the floor lol...must be one of those guys who can sleep anywhere - anytime.   Some can some can't.    This is a good idea and would be beneficial.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Great point. I don't see why they can't charter a plane with lie-flat seats. While lie-flat tickets are more expensive, that is because lie-flat seats take up more than twice as much space as regular seats. It doesn't cost significantly more to build, say, a Boeing 767 with lie-flat seats instead of regular seats. It looked like that plane had  plenty of space.in it.

I looked into this once and it turns out that the evidence is that people feel and performance much better the next day if they can lie flat instead of trying to sleep while seated or while on an angle.

Having experienced this once in my life, can say it's really nice.   Most first class planes don't offer it.   Or business class. But they do exist and man it's cozy.  You can even raise the arm and spoon your  spouse/seat buddy if you're a side sleeper lol, talk about team building.... 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2

On 12/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, iceman64 said:

It's called seat pitch and after the Canucks have used the plane and it gets back to regular service they'd have to take the seats out one and a time and reset the pitch (distance) from the next row and you can bet Air Canada is already giving the team a deal but not going overboard. 

How do I know? I used to be a interior aircraft tech for a year in Kelowna, and I know they're set the way they are to already fit max capacity and anything done on a aircraft is not cheap and you know about the bottom line of money making 101 and there's no way A.C. will do that kind of thing without being paid large to do it...

2 things you can always bet on, A.C. has the best service but the worst leg room, W.J. has the worst service but most leg room.

Flip a coin, is what it boils down to

A.C. has the best service? They are ranked the worst as I just saw in the news and they have worst service.

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

A.C. has the best service? They are ranked the worst as I just saw in the news and they have worst service.

Well I flew on both, I'm 6'2 and I fit a lot better in the WJ seat but the service was horrible.. 

AC seat pitch was ridiculous, I was constantly getting up and untangling my legs which were knees touching the middle of the seat in front of me but the service was what you'd expect on a decent airline BUT that being said, I haven't flown on either for years, things might have changed but that was my experience... 

Put a custom cushion plywood over a couple of rows of seats. Whoever has a back problem or bad fatigue gets to stretch out. Or rotate who gets to stretch out and nap. EP and Hughes looked tired. Let them stretch out. A few young guys look like they don't even need sleep. 

And/or

Take out a few rows, 2 rows on one side 2 rows on the other side. 

Cushion plywood on the floor

Braces: another plywood on top. Could sleep 4 comfortably. Maybe 6? Rest is paramount. 

One trip to IKEA should do it. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Put a custom cushion plywood over a couple of rows of seats. Whoever has a back problem or bad fatigue gets to stretch out. Or rotate who gets to stretch out and nap. EP and Hughes looked tired. Let them stretch out. A few young guys look like they don't even need sleep. 

And/or

Take out a few rows, 2 rows on one side 2 rows on the other side. 

Cushion plywood on the floor

Braces: another plywood on top. Could sleep 4 comfortably. Maybe 6? Rest is paramount. 

One trip to IKEA should do it. 

That’s a great idea if you’re operating Flintstone & Rubble Airlines. 

Modifications to aircraft structure including seating require approval from manufacturer, FAA and TSB. 
You don’t construct, repair or alter an aircraft with 2 x 4’s, plywood and a bag of 3” brights like you do a homemade truck camper. Good thinking outside the tube though. 

200.gif

Edited by Barnstorm
Image for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

That’s a great idea if you’re operating Flintstone & Rubble Airlines. 

Modifications to aircraft structure including seating require approval from manufacturer, FAA and TSB. 
You don’t construct, repair or alter an aircraft with 2 x 4’s, plywood and a bag of 3” brights like you do a homemade truck camper. Good thinking outside the tube though. 

200.gif

Oh right forgot about the red tape and onerous regulations. 

OK just take out a few rows so guys can lie flat on their backs and stretch out. 

With the team sinking to new depths day after day, i'm elated that someone has finally had the courage to raise THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE affecting the future success of this team.  It's about time and good to see we have such "tuned-in" fans that know how to recognize a roadblock to success when they see it.  Bravo!

We're in good hands for the future with fans like you coming to the rescue......Monkey Ambulance GIF - Monkey Ambulance - Discover & Share GIFs

17 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

With the team sinking to new depths day after day, i'm elated that someone has finally had the courage to raise THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE affecting the future success of this team.  It's about time and good to see we have such "tuned-in" fans that know how to recognize a roadblock to success when they see it.  Bravo!

We're in good hands for the future with fans like you coming to the rescue......Monkey Ambulance GIF - Monkey Ambulance - Discover & Share GIFs

You're right - Allvin and Rutherford have no time to do the plane upgrades given that their current responsibilities already include selling beer during games and servicing the zamboni.

• Huggy Bear 1