The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Dec. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why don't we just wait awhile.   I get it looks like that right now.   Every reporter in the league was criticizing Sakic at one point too for not trading Duchene.   And even kept it up until it became obvious OTTawa-Gate tire fire was happening for reals.     Miller on his own looks bad.   But doesn't look bad depending on what else happens next yet. 

The patterns there already. The guy isn’t a team player. 

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

Schenn had a go at Miller a few weeks back- but not during the game play.

So not the same thing.

also Miller is a regular, not the back up, to the back up.

So not the same thing.

Also Miller had been playing poor deffense for quite some time, while Delia may have messed up once

So not the same thing.

One of these things is not like the other.

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Another angle from TSN's feed. It seems like Delia gets the signal from Boudreau when Miller goes behind the net (the bench view is cut off at that point).

Delia made the right call.

Miller is a turnover machine and was heading right toward a Jets player.

Would have been too risky to go then, and wouldn’t have even bought them more time with an extra attacker as Miller had to turn back anyways because of his poor breakout.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

The patterns there already. The guy isn’t a team player. 

I think he's frustrated. He wants to win very badly but is allowing his frustration to boil over and look to others to blame. For a 28 year old "leader" he needs to be better.

He needs to stop looking around and look within, play to his highest level vs allowing the frustration to boil over like that. Ie take care of your own business first.

That means getting better defensively / working harder

Not being lazy backchecking

Not making bad changes, lazy changes

Not throwing away the puck by forcing passes

Being more physical.

Play like Iginla and ok, we'll accept some of the outbursts because then and only then does he have a legitimate pedestal to scream from....right now he does not.

The issue isn't he's not a team player, the issue is he doesn't know how to control his emotions when frustrated and rather than looking in, he's looking out. Same was said about Kadri, and I always defended him. As stupid as his antics were, it came from his intense desire to win, and frustration that many others weren't locked in like him....Same for Miller.

This doesn't excuse his antics (see my last post), but personally, as someone who's played highly competitive sports and played with guys like that, I know its coming from a good place, not a negative place, they just don't know how to manage it.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

I've played a lot of sports on different teams over time. There are definitely in room dynamics that make up a team. I've only ever played on teams where it styed in room so to speak. There was controversy for sure but that happened privately, even blows in some cases. That's probably where I'm coming from on this. I'm not disagreeing on the play I'm taking issue with the reaction by miller publicly.

exactly, 1000% this

It stays in the room, you don't blow a gasket publicly on teammates.

@IBatch sorry bud. If there’s any truth to the locker room issues who else has the abrasive attitude amongst the current group could it be?  Where there’s smoke there’s fire. To many things are adding up. Nobody else I can see rubs people the wrong way but miller. 

That's ok.  I don't know.  

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Ok, so i’ve watched the footage several times now between JT and Delia…I just don’t see why we are making a big deal about this. 

Its a loud building, you can barely hear players on the ice, so banging the stick on the cross bar seems to get Delias attention. So what?? Miller was yelling at him yes, but the place is loud as f**k…hard to communicate at all when it’s that loud.

This is so over blown. The drama is ridiculous. 

The act of slamming your stick on the back of the net is a bit of an a-hole move, man. 

It really felt like JT was "big-leaguing" Delia the AHL guy.

He would never do that to Thatcher.

Dude needs to keep his emotions in check. Clearly he's frustrated with himself and the state of the team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

@IBatch sorry bud. If there’s any truth to the locker room issues who else has the abrasive attitude amongst the current group could it be?  Where there’s smoke there’s fire. To many things are adding up. Nobody else I can see rubs people the wrong way but miller. 

Sure but maybe look at it from a different perspective (and if you read my posts above, I am certainly not defending Miller's antics last night, actually the opposite. But your point is too simple I think)

We've made the playoffs, what once? twice in 12 years?

The media and NHL pundits and players have repeatedly called our room a country club - where there is smoke there is fire and combined with our performance its clearly true

Miller is an ultra competitive guy, wants to win badly

Poor at managing his emotions and channelling them properly for sure

Perhaps the country club doesn't like being told to bust their ass and thus there is 'conflict'.  This doesn't absolve Miller for last night, nor for not 'leading the way' through improving his own play...

But, conflict in a room isn't a bad thing if the room is lazy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, nergish said:

The act of slamming your stick on the back of the net is a bit of an a-hole move, man. 

It really felt like JT was "big-leaguing" Delia the AHL guy.

He would never do that to Thatcher.

Dude needs to keep his emotions in check. Clearly he's frustrated with himself and the state of the team.

It got his attention didn’t it? He literally skates back into the crease and wasn’t moving out until he hit his stick on the cross bar and snapped him out of it.

No biggie, they’re all big boys. I see nothing wrong. He tried talking/yelling at him first. Delia just seemed confused on what to do.

It’s a very loud building. End of the game the Jets fans are loud as F…hard to hear anything I bet on the ice.

Making mountains out of mole hills I say.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Where did you hear these rumours? A lot of stuff gets lit and smoulders on sm, then takes off....I look to see what's happening on the bench, etc. and see none of this. I watch for any signs of trouble but don't see any of this having real weight behind it. Frustration...it happens. Nothing more.

I didn’t say I heard anything  I did say if there’s any truth to the rumours. I too look to see signs of trouble. What I have seen is miller projecting a very real look of a disgruntled player. And it needs to be focused at the opposition NOT team mates. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

Miller is an ultra competitive guy, wants to win badly

This doesn't fly for me as an excuse/reason to act that way.  Every single player in the NHL is ultra competitive,  you don't make it to the most elite league in the world by not being a competitor. 

5 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

Poor at managing his emotions and channelling them properly for sure

100% agree, this is likely right on the money. 

I don't think it would hurt for the twins to sit down with this guy and essentially explain to him that if he used his emotions the right way he'd be a threat every time he stepped on the ice and a guy who could actually lead a group of men in the right direction - they were consummate professionals in this area their entire careers. 

• Cheers 1