Trade #1:

VAN:

Alexis Lafreniere 

Zac Jones

NYR:

Tanner Pearson (retain 30%)

Jack Rathbone

Aidan McDonough (*rights)

• To get Lafreniere, gotta give up value even though he is a healthy scratch for them. He brings a great amount of speed and skill that we sorely lack on the wings. Also, Jones can be a developmental transitional D who may need some time in the AHL, but instantly becomes someone with decent potential to crack our defense along with Filip Johansson (currently in SHL) next year.
  • I don't mind giving up Rathbone and McDonough. Rathbone seems like he will end up a tweener between the AHL and NHL. If he does succeed, I don't think it will be here though because of us having Quinn. I think McDonough carries a lot of value as one of the top scorers in college hockey, but if we can turn that into Lafreniere, then Laf > McDonough.
  • I threw in Pearson so that the Rangers could have another NHL body to replace Lafreniere or use Pearson lower in their lineup and his cap hit is lower than all the other players we have on the block (Garland, Boeser, etc.)

Trade #2: 

VAN: 

Nikita Zaitsev

2023 2nd Round Pick

OTT: 

J.T. Miller

• Saw this idea floating on Twitter, and I think its not bad at all. Dorion may be dumb enough to think that Miller could push Ottawa over the top while VAN takes on Zaitsev for this and next year. 
  • This could work if DeBrincat doesn't see a long term fit in Ottawa and Dorion looks for a backup plan.

Trade #3:

VAN:

Tomas Tatar

Michael Mcleod

2023 2nd Round Pick

NJ:

Brock Boeser

Luke Schenn

• To acumulate as many assets, I think it would be best to put together Boeser and Schenn in a deal. Boeser has a little bit more value than Garland to me, so I think Boeser to NJ would make them even better with how good their team is.
  • We would take back Tomas Tatar, just as an expiring deal. I would target Mcleod just for the fact that he is a right-handed C and could be a good fit to be a 3C on this team as an energy line and chip in on the PK.

If everything worked out, the lines for the future would be:

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Lafreniere - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Mcleod - ?? (Lekkerimakki)

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

• More of a two-way persence along with more speed. This lineup would have a more direct style instead of east-west that we currently like to play.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Interesting, but what indications are there our owner would allow any trades where futures are the key parts to the return? 

Exactly.

Every indication over the past decade has supported only one end goal - Playoffs right now, at any cost.  

Since there's only been one single constant during that time - ownership - I think it's entirely safe to assume that's where this end goal comes from. 

• There it is 1

if that’s the best offer they get for Lafreniere they’ll just keep him.  Yes. He’s been disappointing so far. But he’s still young and I don’t see the motivation for them to move him if that’s the kind of return they’ll get. They’re better off just hoping his development spikes 

I think NYR are probably valuing Laff as 5-15th overall pick now, so maybe a 1st + player/prospect depending on where that first round pick lands. He's certainly not 1OA material anymore but he is still young and far from a bust - no one else from his draft class has really busted out (look at Byfield, and no one's calling him a bust?).

Rathbone's value is probably a middle of the pack 2nd right now, he hasn't done enough to be counted as a 1st rounder. Realistically for the Canucks a deal would revolve around 1st + Pearson with a bit of cap retained and I wouldn't do that, I'd rather take our chances with a 1st in this upcoming draft, even if it's just 10th overall. Only way we make this trade without sending a first is perhaps Hoglander or Rathbone (both probably valued as 2nd) + a more decent player, but then we'd have to take cap back. I see Goodrow has a bit of a painful cap hit for a few years and isn't producing much so he'd most likely come back, and could perform as a 3C, so then we'd have to give up even more value.

As for NJD, I wonder if there's any way in sweet hell they'd part with one of Luke Hughes or Nemec. They'll get to a point after their ELCs expire when surely they can't afford so many stars. You've got to think they're both rookies next year in and out of the AHL and NHL, then the subsequent year they're full time NHLers, so in 3 years time they're solid top-4 guys. They've got Seigenthaler and Bahl at LD for a long time. Obviously Hughes would probably be the best of the bunch apart from Nemec, but I wonder what they'd take for him. Boeser + 1st? Miller + 1st? I'd do either in a heart-beat for Hughes or Nemec.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Exactly.

Every indication over the past decade has supported only one end goal - Playoffs right now, at any cost.  

Since there's only been one single constant during that time - ownership - I think it's entirely safe to assume that's where this end goal comes from. 

The Canucks have had just 6 playoff games in their arena in the past decade.  Bubble playoffs don't count.

If ownership wants to the team to be a playoff team, they should change their method of reaching their goal.

Repeating the same thing over and over and having the same results...:sadno:

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Repeating the same thing over and over and having the same results...:sadno:

Which is the exact reason it absolutely boggles the mind that they came into this season with the same defense and actually expected a different outcome?  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I've thought about some potential deals given the current environment. Here are a few that come to mind;

I think Detroit might be a good fit for Boeser. 5 points out of a playoff spot but two games in hand. Injures to Zadina, Bertuzzi, and Fabbri - could use another forward up front. Have the cap space and some kinda bad contracts coming off next year. 

To Vancouver
Zadina

To Detrot
Boeser

Zadina has struggled so far in his career with only 25 goals in 169 points. That said he is a couple years younger and under contract for $1.8 million. Given the cap savings and youth a worthwhile gamble for two players who need a change of scenery. 

To Boston
Bo Horvat
Luke Schenn

To Vancouver
Brandon Carlo

1st round pick 
Brett Harrison/Mason Lorei

Mike Reilly/Tomas Nosek

Carlo becomes a building block alongside Quinn Hughs on the top pairing and is still young and cost controlled - Schenn going back the other way temporary fills the gap left by Carlo. 1st round pick + Harrison (centre) or Lorei (defense) are quality prospect pieces. Reilly/Nosek cap dumps to offset salaries. A LOT of talk around Boston interest in Horvat - could step in to replace Bergeron for the future. Moving Carlo and Reilly opens up some long term cap space. 

To Carolina 

JT Miller

To Vancouver

Teuvo Teravainen

2nd round pick 

Joey Keane

Teravainen is struggling this year with 3 goals and 13 points in 27 games. JT Miller can fit under their cap long-term with Staal (and Teravainen) coming off the books. We clear up long-term cap and get some light futures. 

To New York

Kuzmenko

To Vancouver
Lafreniere

A lot of Laffy rumours - but NY has no cap space and no bad contracts to send back. Vesey is currently on their first line - I am sure the Rags would salivate having Kuzmenko and Panarin together - and it works from a cap perspective. I'd prefer to keep Kuzmenko if we can but if we can't move salary there is no way we can afford him.

Not saying all these trades would happen but ones I can see would make sense for both teams. 

5 hours ago, DudePerfect said:

Trade #1:

VAN:

Alexis Lafreniere 

Zac Jones

NYR:

Jack Rathbone

• To get Lafreniere, gotta give up value even though he is a healthy scratch for them. He brings a great amount of speed and skill that we sorely lack on the wings. Also, Jones can be a developmental transitional D who may need some time in the AHL, but instantly becomes someone with decent potential to crack our defense along with Filip Johansson (currently in SHL) next year.
  • I don't mind giving up Rathbone and McDonough. Rathbone seems like he will end up a tweener between the AHL and NHL. If he does succeed, I don't think it will be here though because of us having Quinn. I think McDonough carries a lot of value as one of the top scorers in college hockey, but if we can turn that into Lafreniere, then Laf > McDonough.
  • I threw in Pearson so that the Rangers could have another NHL body to replace Lafreniere or use Pearson lower in their lineup and his cap hit is lower than all the other players we have on the block (Garland, Boeser, etc.)

Trade #2: 

VAN: 

Nikita Zaitsev

2023 2nd Round Pick

OTT: 

J.T. Miller

• Saw this idea floating on Twitter, and I think its not bad at all. Dorion may be dumb enough to think that Miller could push Ottawa over the top while VAN takes on Zaitsev for this and next year. 
  • This could work if DeBrincat doesn't see a long term fit in Ottawa and Dorion looks for a backup plan.

Trade #3:

VAN:

Tomas Tatar

Michael Mcleod

2023 2nd Round Pick

NJ:

Brock Boeser

Luke Schenn

• To acumulate as many assets, I think it would be best to put together Boeser and Schenn in a deal. Boeser has a little bit more value than Garland to me, so I think Boeser to NJ would make them even better with how good their team is.
  • We would take back Tomas Tatar, just as an expiring deal. I would target Mcleod just for the fact that he is a right-handed C and could be a good fit to be a 3C on this team as an energy line and chip in on the PK.

• More of a two-way persence along with more speed. This lineup would have a more direct style instead of east-west that we currently like to play.

why did you keep the 4th the same?

what if Bo does not sign?

Hughes  D?
D?           D?
D?          D?

40 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I've thought about some potential deals given the current environment. Here are a few that come to mind;

I think Detroit might be a good fit for Boeser. 5 points out of a playoff spot but two games in hand. Injures to Zadina, Bertuzzi, and Fabbri - could use another forward up front. Have the cap space and some kinda bad contracts coming off next year. 

To Vancouver
Zadina

To Detrot
Boeser

Zadina has struggled so far in his career with only 25 goals in 169 points. That said he is a couple years younger and under contract for $1.8 million. Given the cap savings and youth a worthwhile gamble for two players who need a change of scenery. 

To Boston
Bo Horvat
Luke Schenn

To Vancouver
Brandon Carlo

1st round pick 
Brett Harrison/Mason Lorei

Mike Reilly/Tomas Nosek

Carlo becomes a building block alongside Quinn Hughs on the top pairing and is still young and cost controlled - Schenn going back the other way temporary fills the gap left by Carlo. 1st round pick + Harrison (centre) or Lorei (defense) are quality prospect pieces. Reilly/Nosek cap dumps to offset salaries. A LOT of talk around Boston interest in Horvat - could step in to replace Bergeron for the future. Moving Carlo and Reilly opens up some long term cap space. 

To Carolina 

JT Miller

To Vancouver

Teuvo Teravainen

2nd round pick 

Joey Keane

Teravainen is struggling this year with 3 goals and 13 points in 27 games. JT Miller can fit under their cap long-term with Staal (and Teravainen) coming off the books. We clear up long-term cap and get some light futures. 

To New York

Kuzmenko

To Vancouver
Lafreniere

A lot of Laffy rumours - but NY has no cap space and no bad contracts to send back. Vesey is currently on their first line - I am sure the Rags would salivate having Kuzmenko and Panarin together - and it works from a cap perspective. I'd prefer to keep Kuzmenko if we can but if we can't move salary there is no way we can afford him.

Not saying all these trades would happen but ones I can see would make sense for both teams. 

I have thought Bo would end up in Boston almost as long as he has been here

He always plays a good game in Boston

I wouldn't be surprised to see him there

may as well get something for him before he signs there in the off season

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I have thought Bo would end up in Boston almost as long as he has been here

He always plays a good game in Boston

I wouldn't be surprised to see him there

may as well get something for him before he signs there in the off season

Bo will sign with us, but it’s fun to speculate.  Why not Ottawa?  Closer to where Bo grew up, and can raise his kids in Canada.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Bo will sign with us, but it’s fun to speculate.  Why not Ottawa?  Closer to where Bo grew up, and can raise his kids in Canada.  

what makes yo think he will sign with us?

he has had several very good games in Boston, if I recall correctly

just a hunch

but that is where I'd put money on him landing July 1st

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, lmm said:

what makes yo think he will sign with us?

he has had several very good games in Boston, if I recall correctly

just a hunch

but that is where I'd put money on him landing July 1st

Aquilini will not let one of his core five get away. 

6 hours ago, DudePerfect said:

Trade #1:

VAN:

Alexis Lafreniere 

Zac Jones

NYR:

Jack Rathbone

Trade #2: 

VAN: 

Nikita Zaitsev

2023 2nd Round Pick

OTT: 

J.T. Miller

Trade #3:

VAN:

Tomas Tatar

Michael Mcleod

2023 2nd Round Pick

NJ:

Brock Boeser

Luke Schenn

Why would Rangers take Canucks Pearson,  Rathbone  won't make top 7  ??( McDonough prospect??

Never would Rangers make this trade.. Lafreniere has potential to be  a top winger only 21?He needs a new home..

Would cost Vancouver much more... 

Podkolzin - Rathbone - 3rd rounder 2024 -------- Lafreniere 21 --Jones