The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 03, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Thanks for this; I went to all three sites and I'm still asea (Hi Spook!).

You divide the annual salary plus bonuses by the 186 day constant to get a $/day result.

Then you multiply it by the number of days (not games) left in the season to get the cap hit.

So if it was even, i.e. trade equal cap for equal cap, wouldn't both teams still have the same cap after the trade?

I am hoping the answer is NO.

@Gawdzukes posted an example too.

The AAV is what matters, you can get it from the capfriendly site as there are different kinds of bonuses. I think the cap space would be the same, only difference i can think of is one player had a bonus that counted differently which would be reflected in the AAV.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I mean, without a much needed trade for a good D-man and hoping our back-up goalies can provide what Demko could...

...we are probably right where we should be.

I'm realising this brass is in no rush. At all. Not much to worry about for those who don't want to see us make the playoffs. 

We have missed Thatcher Demko very, very much.

Martin has done well but is pretty spent at this point and all our opponents have the book on him now (no rebound control; weak top shelf).

Delia is alright but not NHL starter, nor probably even NHL backup level.

What would our record be with a healthy Demmer all year?

When will he get back to form?

If early enough, we could restart The Push for The Playoffs.

(Yes, I said PLAYOFFS!)

GO CANUCKS GO!

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

@Gawdzukes posted an example too.

The AAV is what matters, you can get it from the capfriendly site as there are different kinds of bonuses. I think the cap space would be the same, only difference i can think of is one player had a bonus that counted differently which would be reflected in the AAV.

Yeah unfortunately for Goal it's cap in and cap out. Where it becomes easier or beneficial is if you're a top team picking up a player for picks or prospects you only needs to fit his remaining salary under the cap, not the portion already paid by the trading team.

I counted 204 days in the season but it looks like your site had 186 so maybe I should have removed Christmas and all-star break, etc. but it should be the general idea and pretty close.

It's almost like this team drains their tank so quick trying to outplay the opposition but that tank only lasts 20 minutes and then after that the ice tilts and they fold. If this team expends all their energy and will just trying to be competitive for a period that tells you all you need to know. Blow it up, the milks gone bad. 

dave chapelle GIF

Edited by Harold Drunken

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Dude its Vancouver, we’ll surely turn it around and blow our chances at a top 5 pick and settle for 15th OA

Yep, that classic Canuck late season surge to ensure we both miss the playoffs and pick lower all at the same time... the best of both worlds.

GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

OEL should stay, imo. 

Fair enough.

He's sold d back there and he's a good leader.

The same could be said of Schenn, whose been more consistent in all areas of his game than OEL, in my opinion. I'd rather the Canucks look to keep Schenn as a veteran presence and as a leader who'll do whatever he needs to for his team. 

He also has a NMC, so he likely isn't going anywhere anyway

NMCs don't make it impossible to move someone. 

I hate to say it as I have never been a fan of tanking but this seems to be the year for it.

I always thought a winning culture and atmosphere was the best for young players but after several years of the same results and this team having a losing culture it is time to move core assets and regroup.

Hopefully solid prospects and draft picks can be recouped and some larger contracts moved out, I won't name names as to who should go but the cuts need to touch the core of this team and the "newish" management regime need to actually try to make their mark on this team as opposed to recycling what Benning has already built.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough.

The same could be said of Schenn, whose been more consistent in all areas of his game than OEL, in my opinion. I'd rather the Canucks look to keep Schenn as a veteran presence and as a leader who'll do whatever he needs to for his team. 

NMCs don't make it impossible to move someone. 

I wouldn't move schenn either........they need more of that, not less.  You can move an NMC player if they want to go.  Not sure why oel would want to leave Van though, especially with young swedes coming up

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1