The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 03, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, Devron said:

Deadline. Honestly we need to stop b!tching until then. Nothing can be done to fix the team now. Just hope they play the cards right but moves most likely won’t happen until closer to March so I think we can cut them slack until we see what happens by then 

Deadline honestly, but we need to amp up the b!tching, lest this incompetent group think they are doing the right thing 

or did the right thing in re-signing Boesy and Miller the Grump, and trading away a second for Stiller. 

Should have buried Dickie

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So keep OEL and pray he has a resurgence like EK in SJ. Why do we need capspace when we are tanking anyway? We should have an abundance of it once we trade Horvat, Miller Boeser, Myers garland. 

Not sure about Ilya and kuz.... 

We need more players like that but unfortunately they don't fit our timeline

Alternatively, who knows what OEL will do. He constantly gets injured. Maybe he'll go down the ltir route in his final few seasons when we are done our rebuild and need the capspace. At that point, we can even throw in picks as sweeteners if we need the cap space. 

Right now though, there is no way we should be trading players while giving up draft picks. No tanking team should ever do that. 

We have enough other tradeable assets with value. Those should be all that we trade

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

Once Deb has hit her limit on believing in this team, you know they have messed up HARD. 

I feel exactly the same way. 

You know, in the first period I was on board....had hope. In the second...that started to wash away and I saw the momentum shift, the Islanders get aggressive/away with stuff (Mayfield did a lot of sneaky stuff that Myers would NEVER get away with...a lot of do si do'ing) and we lost the edge. It unravels and it's just too much trying to "get back in" to games. It's exhausting. I can only imagine how the team feels at this point and something's gotta give. Frustration can rip a team apart and there are some parts still worth salvaging. I still know they have it in them to win good games (even against good teams)...but you have to sustain that over time. Be consistent, it can't be a one and done occasional deal. It gets away, fast. Clawing their way back into games but never really just taking them over when they have a lead. I'm still gonna go...will be there in their corner but I feel the best thing to happen at this point is bottom out and start making the future a bit brighter. Rather than just hoping it gets brighter.

• Like 1

I really hope Rutherford has already gone to the owner and said:

“Look we can’t fix this thing without a rebuild”.

“You can hire another GM who might claim they can fix the team quickly but they’re lying.”

”If you want us to do this right you need to step back and let us work otherwise find someone else”

”You’ve got the best player in the draft since McDavid here, this is the year to be really bad”

Thats my hope at least.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So keep OEL and pray he has a resurgence like EK in SJ. Why do we need capspace when we are tanking anyway? We should have an abundance of it once we trade Horvat, Miller Boeser, Myers garland. 

Not sure about Ilya and kuz.... 

We need more players like that but unfortunately they don't fit our timeline

We need to add youth. It would cost all ours and 23' picks to dump him. That doesn't help us at all. That makes us worse 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Not you too Deb.

Say it ain't so DLC.

All we gotta do is scrape out a few points 'til Thatcher comes back.

F'Bedardo, he's just another little smart-arse-shite.

Let's get some big cheap monsters and beat the Marchand out of   anyone who dares to score on us.

Playoffs here we come!

And Look Out Ya Wee Shites!

The Canucks are gonna make The Playoffs!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MNaslund?? said:

You don’t even believe that lol

I do

the NHL is set up as a pretender league

lots of teams with no chance pretending that they are "Right There"

at this point the NHL could drop the playoffs to 8 teams that have a realistic chance at the cup

but $ says add more playoff teams for more revenue

The Canucks are pretending to be a playoff team

while teams 9-24 are pretending to have a chance at the cup

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

@stawns I'd move Schenn. We need all the help we can get. No one is so valuable at this point they are must keeps except our youth we choose to move forward with.

He's not doing a single thing for this waste of a season ... and realistically I'd say there is less than 50% chance, probably smaller that he wants to stay here for the next couple years. If I'm Schenn I'd be sick of this crap and I'd like to go to a team with a chance of winning. Especially seeing as how he's somewhat re-invented himself there should be a market. Unless of course he really has settled in and loves it in Van. That's certainly possible, in which case he'd come back and that's win win.

Currently he's providing an example for a group of dmen that should be put out to pasture.

Agreed

Anyone of value minus Petey and Hughes need to be moved for draft picks. 

If that means taking on their crappy player with a high expiring contract, so be it as long as they throw in a first rounder along with it. Whatever they send back has to expire in the next 2 years. 

Funny how AZ is in the same boat we were. We held onto LE for so many subpar seasons at a 6m.cap.hit

They then took on LE Roussel and Beagle with a couple years left and got rid of their crappy salary in OEL, threw in garland as a sweetener and got a 1st round pick

That's the stuff we should be doing. 

• Cheers 1

Chicago is probably going to win the lottery which is a tough pill to swallow. Knowing how the NHL treats legacy teams it seems inevitable.  On the flip side, they committed to the tank by selling two young up comers in Debrincat and Dach to put themselves in this position. They goofed up on going after Seth Jones but have realized their mistake and devised a plan to commit to the tank and hopefully rebuild within a few years. Kane will most likely be traded before the deadline with cap retained. 

It irks me because they saw the writing on the wall after many years of cups and success and a failed last ditched effort to go for it again. The bubble run the Canucks made gave the owner and previous regime a false sense of hope that the team was close, and just needed a couple of twerks. Things are never going to change with Francesco running the team because he doesn’t know jack squat about owning a hockey team and a lot of posters on here could do a better job than he is doing. 

• Vintage 1

I would straight up target lucic and their 1st for a winger. Gain a tank commander, A 1st rounder, Cap space for next year AND addition by subtraction for whoever we move out. 

Use any capspace to add all the capdumps on 1 year deals for next season. We can shoot our pool into the top 10 assuming the kids are hits. Tanking next year as well can really speed up this process of building around EP and Bedard / Carlsson / fantilli / Dvorsky. 24' off season is the key date. Nearly every single existing player will have expired.. 

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

I would straight up target lucic and their 1st for a winger. Gain a tank commander, A 1st rounder, Cap space for next year AND addition by subtraction for whoever we move out. 

Use any capspace to add all the capdumps on 1 year deals for next season. We can shoot our pool into the top 10 assuming the kids are hits. Tanking next year as well can really speed up this process of building around EP and Bedard / Carlsson / fantilli / Dvorsky. 24' off season is the key date. Nearly every single existing player will have expired.. 

Would they do that for Boeser or Garland or Miller? 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Some of us wanted to start that process last spring/summer...

This exactly. All the bitching about him... but he has an NMC, we'd have to pay assets we don't have/can't afford to move him, and he's a perfectly capable top 4 D in the mean time, on a team with a severe lack of top 4 D.

People just need to accept that he's almost certainly, not going anywhere. Never mind that he's not the problem with this team. At worst, he's a problem. 

Yes sir! Plus we literally gave up Guenther for him. Imagine adding more picks and prospects to now move him? Holy we would get dragged by the hockey world for the rest of our life 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Would they do that for Boeser or Garland or Miller? 

I'd push for Miller. Settle on boeser. Garland at 4.9 could still be a decent asset if we keep him in a position to succeed. I would prefer to not waste Garland in this deal but if that's what it takes I'd do it before other start moving money and nobody is able to take anything on anymore 

46 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough.

The same could be said of Schenn, whose been more consistent in all areas of his game than OEL, in my opinion. I'd rather the Canucks look to keep Schenn as a veteran presence and as a leader who'll do whatever he needs to for his team. 

NMCs don't make it impossible to move someone. 

Yea but we can move Schenn and he is very likely to come back. He wants to be in Van from what I’ve heard and he specifically chose to sign here. So moving him at the TDL and gaining assets to have him come right back in a couple months would be huge.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You know, in the first period I was on board....had hope. In the second...that started to wash away and I saw the momentum shift, the Islanders get aggressive/away with stuff (Mayfield did a lot of sneaky stuff that Myers would NEVER get away with...a lot of do si do'ing) and we lost the edge. It unravels and it's just too much trying to "get back in" to games. It's exhausting. I can only imagine how the team feels at this point and something's gotta give. Frustration can rip a team apart and there are some parts still worth salvaging. I still know they have it in them to win good games (even against good teams)...but you have to sustain that over time. Be consistent, it can't be a one and done occasional deal. It gets away, fast. Clawing their way back into games but never really just taking them over when they have a lead. I'm still gonna go...will be there in their corner but I feel the best thing to happen at this point is bottom out and start making the future a bit brighter. Rather than just hoping it gets brighter.

so, you are blaming the square dance community now?

that's rich

as a dancer I should take offence

but why bother

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Agreed

Anyone of value minus Petey and Hughes need to be moved for draft picks. 

If that means taking on their crappy player with a high expiring contract, so be it as long as they throw in a first rounder along with it. Whatever they send back has to expire in the next 2 years. 

Funny how AZ is in the same boat we were. We held onto LE for so many subpar seasons at a 6m.cap.hit

They then took on LE Roussel and Beagle with a couple years left and got rid of their crappy salary in OEL, threw in garland as a sweetener and got a 1st round pick

That's the stuff we should be doing. 

Absolutely agree. Gawd I wish we could walk that AZ trade back. Tragic. The days of trying to fix the team all at once is over. We are in desperate times. There is no point in hanging onto role players. We've seen this team can't even make one trade let alone a series of moves to all of the sudden to make us competitive next year.

First thing is we should fix is trading all the lazy floaters, unnecessary, and bloated contracts while obtaining as many assets as we can. After that see where we are and what the landscape looks like and build a plan from there instead of greedily thinking it can be fixed with a snap of the fingers.

As it stands we will have Petterson, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Mikeyhev, Lazar, Joshua, and Studnicka, left to fill spots next year. Kuzmenko, Boeser, Bo, Miller, Garland, Pearson, should all be on the market to be traded. The first 7 and whomever remains from the second 6 should easily be enough to field a team next year with a couple fill ins from Abbotsford, trade returns, or UFA.

On D, Hughes and OEL, should be back with everyone else available to go away, although we are likely stuck with Chaos Giraffe, and maybe they re-sign Bear. Next year we should tank again with the fallout line-up from this year and look to fix the defence and put a solid team out in 2024-2025.

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea but we can move Schenn and he is very likely to come back. He wants to be in Van from what I’ve heard and he specifically chose to sign here. So moving him at the TDL and gaining assets to have him come right back in a couple months would be huge.

that would be huge, but you also run the risk of Schenn deciding that he landed in a better spot than here.

you can only show people a better example so many times before they realize that the grass actually is greener somewhere else

I know the Blues aren't looking great right now, but imagine trying to explain to your brother why you want to re-sign with this gong show

If I was a Schenn member, I might consider an intervention, wink

1 hour ago, DarthMelvin said:

Sooo, after the second I went in to watch my son's hockey practice then came out to the truck and look at the score....I WAS SHOCKED! What the heck happened???

Confused Robin Thede GIF by A Black Lady Sketch Show

They threw a blanket over us. 

We're too small and struggled to get loose or push back. 

• There it is 1