The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 05, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, billabong said:

One thing Friedman mentioned on 32 thoughts is the new ban on foreign home buyers and how that effects Canadian teams from attracting players 

he specifically mentioned this may effect kuzy but the details of this new ban are uncertain  

Bo can buy it for Kuz then sell it to him later for a profit. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, billabong said:

One thing Friedman mentioned on 32 thoughts is the new ban on foreign home buyers and how that effects Canadian teams from attracting players 

he specifically mentioned this may effect kuzy but the details of this new ban are uncertain  

Kuz wouldn’t own a place here he would rent.

And if he signed long term he could become a permanent resident and it wouldn’t effect him.

Friedman really scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and find controversy for us now…

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

They were talking about that on the radio yesterday. What’s the best we’d get in a trade for Kuz? A late 1st round pick? How many late 1st round picks go on to score 30 goals a season? I’m guessing not many. 

Pettersson is playing at more than a point a game

Horvat is having his best season ever

Miller is still almost a point per game, his 2nd best season ever

Boeser is just like last year

Mikey is above most players last year

Kuzmenko is almost a point per game

The team is now 8 points out of a WC playoff spot, worse than last year with all those players playing outstanding by their standards

The team is currently 5 million over the cap ceiling

Kuzmenko is Russian and the war might affect his staying, he can't buy a house in Vancouver and players getting 30+ goals and close to 80 points are getting between 6.5 and 7.5 million per year or more than Boeser anyway with a long term contract.

Signing Horvat, Miller, Kuzmenko would have the team with 5 guys over 30 making huge money in 3 years

Well the game, the Avalanche played like crud.

I was a win but it changed nothing they are still 8 points out of a WC spot. They just kept up with the Joneses, still 25/26th in the standings

Edited by ToTellTheTruth
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I know the league has a "standard" for player contracts, but I can't help but wonder how many teams have "side deals" between ownership and players for additional "perks".

For example, we all know our ownership has interests in real estate.  What's to stop them from "renting" or "leasing" an apartment, townhouse, or even a villa to a player for a "token $1"?  (Especially as a means to offset things such as local/state/provincial taxation regime differences?)

He owns Pizza Hut franchise. Maybe he’s feeding the players  to much pizza. :towel:

Edited by chon derry
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, billabong said:

Does that apply to people working here though? 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Canucks are in trouble because they keep paying for "potential" and are wrong more than half the time. 

On this team,I would only do that with Petey and Hughes. Hughes is now locked in on a good contract. 

Everyone else on this team should get paid once they actually achieve something. 

If you think it's moveable then great. I don't have an issue. 

Im even ok if we retain 1-2 Mil for 2 seasons if that means we get a good return 

So who have we paid for potential on and been dead wrong?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

Is there actual evidence of that though?

Over the past decade there have been hundreds of people working at the various levels of this team all the way from senior management (where real big picture decisions are made) through to players, trainers, scouts, ect....the ONE CONSTANT has been ownership. 

I will be the first to acknowledge that it's his team and FA can do with it what he wants.

But I don't believe anyone trying to argue that ownership hasn't been the driving force behind the direction of this team for the past decade. 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Over the past decade there have been hundreds of people working at the various levels of this team all the way from senior management (where real big picture decisions are made) through to players, trainers, scouts, ect....the ONE CONSTANT has been ownership. 

I will be the first to acknowledge that it's his team and FA can do with it what he wants.

But I don't believe anyone trying to argue that ownership hasn't been the driving force behind the direction of this team for the past decade. 

Can you produce verifiable evidence?  Further to that, what's he supposedly guilty of?  Running his business?

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Pettersson is playing at more than a point a game

Horvat is having his best season ever

Miller is still almost a point per game, his 2nd best season ever

Boeser is just like last year

Mikey is above most players last year

Kuzmenko is almost a point per game

The team is now 8 points out of a WC playoff spot, worse than last year with all those players playing outstanding by their standards

The team is currently 5 million over the cap ceiling

Kuzmenko is Russian and the war might affect his staying, he can't buy a house in Vancouver and players getting 30+ goals and close to 80 points are getting between 6.5 and 7.5 million per year or more than Boeser anyway with a long term contract.

Signing Horvat, Miller, Kuzmenko would have the team with 5 guys over 30 making huge money in 3 years

Well the game, the Avalanche played like crud.

I was a win but it changed nothing they are still 8 points out of a WC spot. They just kept up with the Joneses, still 25/26th in the standings

Shows how important Demko playing like Double Bubble Boy is to have us win.  

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Can you produce verifiable evidence?  Further to that, what's he supposedly guilty of?  Running his business?

Even if he was a meddling owner. I might not agree with what he does, but it's his team. Long and short of it what's the solution? You'd need someone who has around $1 billion US to buy the team. And enough income to afford to lose money on bad seasons. If someone wants to get a group of owners put together to buy the team from him, all the power to them. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Can you produce irrefutable proof that says he hasn't, doesn't or never will? How could you know? It's all speculation.

Are you saying throughout the history of pro sports that there has NEVER been one single meddling owner? 

Where is your proof that he isn't a meddling owner? 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

It's a gamble regardless.

Wallowing in mediocrity will get us nowhere.

Either way we will have losing seasons.

Would you rather be us right now or Chicago?

Us for sure. 

We have ft better pieces / assets we can trade while having 2 great young players to build around in Petey and Hughes

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Further to that, what's he supposedly guilty of?  Running his business?

If making the PO is his goal year after year (which he's publicly said many, many times) - he's failed miserably and he's 'guilty' of not coming through with his stated goal.  They've missed the PO 7 out of the last 10 years so I don't know how you argue he's not guilty of failing to meet his goal? 

Again, it's his business and he does with it what he pleases in the end. 

I actually blame the people who support the team financially (buying tickets, merchandise, ect....) because if they didn't, he'd likely change the direction of the team.  Personally, I've stopped financially directly supporting this team for many years now.

11 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Can you produce irrefutable proof that says he hasn't, doesn't or never will? How could you know? It's all speculation.

Are you saying throughout the history of pro sports that there has NEVER been one single meddling owner? 

Where is your proof that he isn't a meddling owner? 

Trying to prove a negative is not an answer either. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Kuz wouldn’t own a place here he would rent.

And if he signed long term he could become a permanent resident and it wouldn’t effect him.

Friedman really scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and find controversy for us now…

Kuz might wanna buy… no one on here knows what he wants to do with his personal investments 

friedman is one of most respected reporters in the biz…he doesn’t make up nothing he always backs up what he says with facts and professional opinions