The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

12 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Well there is always the Bruins to trade with as next year they will have the cap space for him.

Miller or OEL?

They added Lindholm in between and have no need for OEL anymore. Miller perhaps but his 4 years of NMC kicks in July 1, so it would have to be before that...

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Miller or OEL?

They added Lindholm in between and have no need for OEL anymore. Miller perhaps but his 4 years of NMC kicks in July 1, so it would have to be before that...

Yup but I think they want Bo and better deals will come.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Can tocchet fix Miller to play a more responsible 2 way game? 

Tocchet is a 'systems' driven coach,  exactly why JR chose him I suspect.   He will demand players perform within his system or they simply won't play, your salary won't matter to Tocchet. 

The real question is - what will this expectation do to the creativity of guys like Petey/Huggy?  How badly will their offense output suffer in a defensive-minded system?  Would they want to play here long-term under this type of system?

We most certainly  will not be one of the higher scoring teams in the league for much longer under Tocchet,  but we shouldn't be one of the absolute worst defensive either so....

• Like 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

Tocchet is a 'systems' driven coach,  exactly why JR chose him I suspect.   He will demand players perform within his system or they simply won't play, your salary won't matter to Tocchet. 

The real question is - what will this expectation do to the creativity of guys like Petey/Huggy?  How badly will their offense output suffer in a defensive-minded system?  Would they want to play here long-term under this type of system?

We most certainly  will not be one of the higher scoring teams in the league for much longer under Tocchet,  but we shouldn't be one of the absolute worst defensive either so....

While I'm slightly excited for a more structured system, I hope we are able to decipher between a coaching bump and a tighter system. 

The worst thing that could happen is the team performs well under tocchet for the remainder of the season,  finish in 9th or 10th in the west, finish the season feeling positive about where we are heading and then suck again next year without addressing any of our needs

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

The worst thing that could happen is the team performs well under tocchet for the remainder of the season,  finish in 9th or 10th in the west, finish the season feeling positive about where we are heading and then suck again next year without addressing any of our needs

Exactly.  That was well said.

Tocchet's criminal history and controversial personal opinions notwithstanding,  I don't like this hire at this point in the season.

JR himself said coaching changes often produce an unsustainable 'bump' in performance, which is exactly what we don't need right now - referring to the upcoming 'generational' draft.   

Furthermore,  BB was on the last year of his contract,  the classy thing for JR to do would've been to just ride it out, take the heat for the season on himself,  and allow a great person with a good reputation to finish the season,  and perhaps his career on his own terms, then clean house - doing that would've had zero negative impact on this franchise long-term.  Everybody hates the way JR handled this and people in this market have good memories. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

While I'm slightly excited for a more structured system, I hope we are able to decipher between a coaching bump and a tighter system. 

I hope there is no bump. And really, the way this team is constructed, I don't see much changing to finish the season as far as wins go. This team still won't win as constructed. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I see what you did there B)

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Exactly.  That was well said.

Tocchet's criminal history and controversial personal opinions notwithstanding,  I don't like this hire at this point in the season.

JR himself said coaching changes often produce an unsustainable 'bump' in performance, which is exactly what we don't need right now - referring to the upcoming 'generational' draft.   

Furthermore,  BB was on the last year of his contract,  the classy thing for JR to do would've been to just ride it out, take the heat for the season on himself,  and allow a great person with a good reputation to finish the season,  and perhaps his career on his own terms, then clean house - doing that would've had zero negative impact on this franchise long-term.  Everybody hates the way JR handled this and people in this market have good memories. 

I agree on parts of this but I really respect honesty too. JR has been more forthcoming and open about stuff than just about any GM or President has before him.

I’m no big fan of JR but he has been open about stuff more than expected. Actually more than he should have considering everything he says gets dissected and analyzed more than it should really. By both the fans and the media.

I like Bruce, and would have liked for him to stay, but it is a big business along with being a sport - and results matter. This is not all on him but he and other coaches know the stakes and what can happen. Part of the business.

• Cheers 1

Tocchet did a good job relating to Miller as an emotional player, while also addressing body language, risky plays, too many minutes, long shifts, etc. I think Tocchet will get more out of Miller, and possibly make his new contract look like a deal.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Miller doesn't fit the timeline of a rebuild plain and simple, we're unlikely to be a surefire playoff team over the remainder of his prime let alone a cup contender. He's a piece we should be moving if we can find a taker. 

Disagree here. You need a few vets with the youth. Show me a Stanley cup team that’s all within the same 5 year age range. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Disagree here. You need a few vets with the youth. Show me a Stanley cup team that’s all within the same 5 year age range. 

I don't need to show you a Stanley cup team, we won't be there any time soon. Getting from where we are to a place where we're a consistent playoff team will likely take a while, at which point Miller probably won't be worth 8M. 

He doesn't fit with the age bracket of the young core we should be building around. Plus, if it's vets we want there are cheaper and shorter-term ways of going about that. 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't need to show you a Stanley cup team, we won't be there any time soon. Getting from where we are to a place where we're a consistent playoff team will likely take a while, at which point Miller probably won't be worth 8M. 

He doesn't fit with the age bracket of the young core we should be building around. Plus, if it's vets we want there are cheaper and shorter-term ways of going about that. 

You having a rough day or something?

His contract looks a lot better than Jamie Benn’s. $8M for a PPG vet works for me for now.

10 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

You having a rough day or something?

His contract looks a lot better than Jamie Benn’s. $8M for a PPG vet works for me for now.

Has nothing to do with my day, I've simply long held the stance that Miller does not fit the competitive timeline of this roster and should have been traded at the deadline, or at least year's draft, or during the summer. 

It was an overpayment by Dallas then, it's an overpayment now. And that's the key word, now. He's on the hook for another seven seasons, plenty of us have concerns about how he'll age. He's already defensively questionable player, that won't get any better as he ages and slows down. He's a one dimensional scoring winger who can take draws and who likely peaked last season. 

He's not worthless, he's a capable offensive player, but he doesn't fit on a roster that'll likely be undergoing what management have been calling a retool. More than likely it'll look more like a rebuild. He should have been moved for picks, prospects, or to help address our defense. We'd be better off having 8M in cap flex or having reallocated that cap space to our defense. 

He'd be a better fit on a team closer to contention, or at least a team regularly in the playoff mix. 

Edited by Coconuts