The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

Petey and Hughes would walk if the Canucks tore it down. They're not rebuilding, never were. The team doesn't care about Draft picks - fans do. If the Canucks win a lottery spot, then heck ya, we can celebrate. They still have that 1st pick. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, billabong said:

If the Canucks did actually turned down a Miller trade….keep in mind try selling that, if they actually traded Miller, to pettersson and hughes…

if you trade Miller, you might as well deal pettersson and hughes cause they have both said they have NO interest in more losing 

think of the bigger picture people…it isn’t as simple as no we don’t “want” to trade Miller 

Swipe Up Black Man GIF by Black Prez

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Canucks management to Pittsburgh management: We are not rebuilding! So they were offered multiple picks and they could have gotten off his contract. You take it. They need to free up money. Man it just makes me angry we are in perpetual retool mode. It gets us where? No cap space, no picks but hey we can always look forward to the end of the season winning streak. It's our own little Stanley cup. You're not smart if everyone on the planet who knows hockey is saying what the heck are they doing. They just are a laughing stock.

Rumours are fun 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Petey and Hughes would walk if the Canucks tore it down. They're not rebuilding, never were. The team doesn't care about Draft picks - fans do. If the Canucks win a lottery spot, then heck ya, we can celebrate. They still have that 1st pick. 

OK but again, we're competing all of a sudden with the roster we have now?  It's effectively the same core roster we've had roughly for the last 5 years.  Subtracting of course Horvat and soon to be Myers.  Replacing them with Beauvillier and Hronek.

What exactly about that says "we're winning" when it hasn't happened before?

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Good poker players don't always show their hands. They signed on with this guy...they did "shop" him earlier and the offers weren't what they expected/wanted. This time, sure...they'll listen. But JT's their guy and if someone wants him they have set their price. I'm ok with that.

Yours is a very jaded take, and I get it. But things are changing and it won't just be an easy fix. I do understand why some hate trading picks away but d men aren't easy to acquire and before we worry about JT we really needed to work on trying to upgrade the d. We got a player who'll maybe help with that. 

You don't think the new guys I listed make us better? I do...I see it in front of me. In particular, this guy named Kuzmenko? He's something to be excited about for sure. And he's excited about being here, and it shows.

I have been a tanker for some time now. That said I think some time to assess is in order. I liked the Detroit trade. I still desperately want Boeser and Meyers gone. Miller as well but not desperate. Garland only on a good deal. Still much work to do on the d-side but we have players in the prospect pool that could surprise. Building around Petey and Hughes is the way to go and gives the Canucks a leg up on many teams faced with a complete tear down. Now it is about adding selectively, drafting in the top 5 this year for another major piece and continuing the good development in Abby. 
Tank on.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Makaramel MacKhiato said:

It's actually crazy how knowledgable ex NHL legends are when running a team. Sakic built a SC champion, Yzerman built a SC champion. I'm sure Linden knew what to do as well. Difference is that Sakic and Yzerman's word were trusted... 

It is almost like they know what it takes to build a winning team... fascinating!

I won't get in to the rumours.  over the past 12 days we've had our fill and then some.  but if there is any validity to the rumours that Ruthervin turned down picks because they wanted a center when Pitts has literally none roster ready that fit the bill outside of Poehling (maybe Hallander) than this is criminal stupidity.  We are over the cap.  We have zero cap space to start next season.  A trade HAS to be made.  We have zero space until the end of next season, than magically we have $33 million in space but have 10 RFA's in the next 2 seasons needing new contracts.  7 UFAs that need to be replaced or given new contracts.

Rumours are what they are but man...I just don't see how spending to the cap to be finishing with a top 10 pick for almost a decade and STILL be picking top 10 is considered viable smart or successful enough to be doing the EXACT same thing the next season and hoping for better results.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

OK but again, we're competing all of a sudden with the roster we have now?  It's effectively the same core roster we've had roughly for the last 5 years.  Subtracting of course Horvat and soon to be Myers.  Replacing them with Beauvillier and Hronek.

Just because a team is not successful yet doesn't mean you need to change over the entire roster. Changes need to be made for sure, but it would be shortsighted if you said it hasn't worked for 5 years so move everyone involved. 

It starts with a change at leadership. If the team is not performing you have to change the voice in the room. I'm not in that dressing room so I can't tell you if Bo was a good captain or not but clearly the team was not responding to what Bo was doing or the coaches were doing. Start there, and give the other guys a chance to step up and lead this team their way. 

I have been part of teams before, albeit not NHL teams, that were middle of the pack but not great one season to national champs the next year once the player leadership group changed over.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier

Podkolzin - Miller - Kravtsov

Mikheyev - Raty - Garland

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Hronek

Dermott - Myers

Team looks quite a bit different from a few years ago (assuming Boeser traded) and they'll add a very good player in June. It can't be a team filled with 23-year olds. Every good team needs some veterans and leadership. I'm still hoping they can trade Miller as well, free up that cap space. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hopefully a better team defensive structure, improved defensive core, & competent penalty kill. 2 of those 3 are moving in the right direction. 

The roster today is actually quite a bit different than 5 years ago.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Hronek

Dermott - Myers

Team looks quite a bit different from a few years ago (assuming Boeser traded) and they'll add a very good player in June. It can't be a team filled with 23-year olds. Every good team needs some veterans and leadership. I'm still hoping they can trade Miller as well, free up that cap space. We'll see.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Hopefully a better team defensive structure, improved defensive core, & competent penalty kill. 2 of those 3 are moving in the right direction. 

The roster today is actually quite a bit different than 5 years ago.

Core.  the term CORE is very important to that statement.  Aside from Bo it hasn't changed much

2 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Just because a team is not successful yet doesn't mean you need to change over the entire roster. Changes need to be made for sure, but it would be shortsighted if you said it hasn't worked for 5 years so move everyone involved. 

It starts with a change at leadership. If the team is not performing you have to change the voice in the room. I'm not in that dressing room so I can't tell you if Bo was a good captain or not but clearly the team was not responding to what Bo was doing or the coaches were doing. Start there, and give the other guys a chance to step up and lead this team their way. 

I have been part of teams before, albeit not NHL teams, that were middle of the pack but not great one season to national champs the next year once the player leadership group changed over.  

Since 2013, we have played in 2 playoff appearances and 1 of those was a covid bubble run.  We have drafted consistently in the top 10 aside from 3 years or when we have not traded our 1st round pick.  We have for a decade been listed in the bottom 10 for prospects and organizational depth.  We have in the same time also been one of the highest spending cap teams to within 2.7 million or less every single season.

We are doing the same thing as we have done since this started.  

There is no argument that can be made that will change that.

Teams can absolutely go on amazing runs and change their fortunes.  There is no argument against that.  The argument here is that we're committing to the same processes with roughly the same core of people and it hasn't changed.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Hronek

Dermott - Myers

No way they keep all 3 of Garland, Mikheyev and Beau though. Hopefully we can clear out Myers and sign Livingstone.

Also does our AGM Dan Milstein bring Gavrikov to Vancouver?

Hughes - Baer

Gavrikov - Hronek

OEL - Livingstone

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I won't get in to the rumours.  over the past 12 days we've had our fill and then some.  but if there is any validity to the rumours that Ruthervin turned down picks because they wanted a center when Pitts has literally none roster ready that fit the bill outside of Poehling (maybe Hallander) than this is criminal stupidity.  We are over the cap.  We have zero cap space to start next season.  A trade HAS to be made.  We have zero space until the end of next season, than magically we have $33 million in space but have 10 RFA's in the next 2 seasons needing new contracts.  7 UFAs that need to be replaced or given new contracts.

Rumours are what they are but man...I just don't see how spending to the cap to be finishing with a top 10 pick for almost a decade and STILL be picking top 10 is considered viable smart or successful enough to be doing the EXACT same thing the next season and hoping for better results.

But making a trade just to trade will not get us out of this limbo we are in now. For years fans have been begging for a plan and now that we have evidence of one we are upset they turned down an offer? If we trade Miller for only picks, it doesn't help our core without a subsequent move. If management doesn't feel they can move those picks for the players they want now than whats the point of making the trade? 

I'm sure the management team is well aware of the cap issues we are in but they clearly value Miller more than the cap space. Substitute Miller for maybe Boeser or Garland and maybe they accept a picks only trade but Miller is difficult to replace at this point. 

Just now, Highstickin said:

But making a trade just to trade will not get us out of this limbo we are in now. For years fans have been begging for a plan and now that we have evidence of one we are upset they turned down an offer? If we trade Miller for only picks, it doesn't help our core without a subsequent move. If management doesn't feel they can move those picks for the players they want now than whats the point of making the trade? 

I'm sure the management team is well aware of the cap issues we are in but they clearly value Miller more than the cap space. Substitute Miller for maybe Boeser or Garland and maybe they accept a picks only trade but Miller is difficult to replace at this point. 

The plan we have now is the exact same plan we've had since Benning first arrived.