The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Or maybe he plays one more season, that'd be acceptable https://www.nhl.com/news/columbus-blue-jackets-jakub-voracek-injury-status/c-338415390

I've bandied about something regarding Miller and Voracek in the past

He has no trade protection, Miller for Voracek's last remaining season+ could be doable 

Guys would sure love to sign here longterm if we just ship em out to CLB prior to the NTC kicking in:P

At the same time that's a good alpha move by us. Shows the players we will bank on you to not let us down... But if you do.. OHIO IT IS!!!!:towel:

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I don't see Miller returning that, I do think Columbus could be an option though 

I'd be a bit surprised if they gave up on Sillinger given he's a local Columbus guy 

The wrinkle with Columbus is what happens regarding the draft lottery, say they win a lottery pick (or Bedard), I could see them moving on from a young center then 

A Bedard or Fantilli could jumpstart things a bit and it's sounding like Voracek may never play again so Miller's cap hit would be eaten up by that alone 

If they win a top 2 pick maybe then they'd consider moving Sillinger, he hasn't had the success Johnson has had this season 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Or maybe he plays one more season, that'd be acceptable https://www.nhl.com/news/columbus-blue-jackets-jakub-voracek-injury-status/c-338415390

I've bandied about something regarding Miller and Voracek in the past

He has no trade protection, Miller for Voracek's last remaining season+ could be doable 

Yup something around Voracek + some mix of Peeke/Marchenko/Ceulemans/Del Bel Belluz/their 2nd.

I'd add to Miller if I though we could get Jiricek, but that's likely a pipe dream.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Guys would sure love to sign here longterm if we just ship em out to CLB prior to the NTC kicking in:P

At the same time that's a good alpha move by us. Shows the players we will bank on you to not let us down... But if you do.. OHIO IT IS!!!!:towel:

I mean, Miller is from Ohio and if they draft top two and Bedard or whoever's next step in and show they can be stars right away it's a very different scenario 

Columbus wasn't ever able to get going this season, injuries kinda hurt them early and it just spiraled 

Say you've got Bedard or Fantilli, Laine, Gaudreau, Jenner, Johnson, and so on in your top six.. that's not terrible 

They've got plenty of young prospects too and good young NHL talent, Jiricek hasn't even made the jump yet 

He could do worse, it's not Arizona, and if they luck out with a top two pick who's to say they aren't suddenly further ahead of us? 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup something around Voracek + some mix of Peeke/Marchenko/Ceulemans/Del Bel Belluz/their 2nd.

I'd add to Miller if I though we could get Jiricek, but that's likely a pipe dream.

It absolutely is a pipe dream, they'd ship out prospects like Ceulemans, Mateychuk, or a young D like Boqvist before they ever considered moving Jiricek imo 

It's like folks pining over Clarke from LA, I'd love to have him but it'll never happen 

A package like the one you've mentioned would do though, Peeke could be a good add if he can prove he's more than a 5

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It absolutely is a pipe dream, they'd ship out prospects like Ceulemans, Mateychuk, or a young D like Boqvist before they ever considered moving Jiricek imo 

It's like folks pining over Clarke from LA, I'd love to have him but it'll never happen 

A package like the one you've mentioned would do though, Peeke could be a good add if he can prove he's more than a 5

Yeah, I mean I said I'd add...but fact is, he's likely, simply not for sale for anything other than a silly overpayment. Which we're in no position to make.

But yeah, something around Voracek, Peeke (who I think would fit nice with OEL personally) + and one of Marchenko/Ceulemans/Del Bel Belluz + their 2nd...and you got a deal IMO.

Honestly, Miller or no Miller, if Columbus wins a top two pick I could very well see them surprising next season 

I think Hughes is better but they've got their own #1 staple in Werenski, they've got youth and prospects galore and you know they'll probably be bringing in more via trading Gavrikov, they've got the makings of a good top six that would look better with a further infusion of talent 

I wouldn't venture to say they'll be a surefire playoff team or anything but I could absolutely see them being competitive sooner than later 

Hitting on a lottery pick and having a player step in and immediately take off would be a gamechanger for a team like Columbus 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I mean I said I'd add...but fact is, he's likely, simply not for sale for anything other than a silly overpayment. Which we're in no position to make.

But yeah, something around Voracek, Peeke (who I think would fit nice with OEL personally) + and one of Marchenko/Ceulemans/Del Bel Belluz + their 2nd...and you got a deal IMO.

I'd like Cuelemans, even as a later 1st it'd be nice to have another blue chip RD prospect 

• Cheers 1

Would love to see miller traded !! 

by the time this team is even looking at a meaningful playoff spot he’ll be ineffective on a unmovable anchor contract. 

but I feel he’s their guy and I’d be surprised if he wasn’t named captain with Ep and hughes as A’s. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, Miller is from Ohio and if they draft top two and Bedard or whoever's next step in and show they can be stars right away it's a very different scenario 

Columbus wasn't ever able to get going this season, injuries kinda hurt them early and it just spiraled 

Say you've got Bedard or Fantilli, Laine, Gaudreau, Jenner, Johnson, and so on in your top six.. that's not terrible 

They've got plenty of young prospects too and good young NHL talent, Jiricek hasn't even made the jump yet 

He could do worse, it's not Arizona, and if they luck out with a top two pick who's to say they aren't suddenly further ahead of us? 

Oh snap! All this Miller talk over the years and I just learned where he's from lmao! Start the car Coconuts you gotta drive him to YVR:towel:

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Management gave the players this season to show that banking on them was the right move. Then they shat the bed all year.

Nothing wrong with changing direction if that happens.

That's true. The thing scaring guys away would be the cost of living :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I don't see Miller returning that, I do think Columbus could be an option though 

I'd be a bit surprised if they gave up on Sillinger given he's a local Columbus guy 

The wrinkle with Columbus is what happens regarding the draft lottery, say they win a lottery pick (or Bedard), I could see them moving on from a young center then 

A Bedard or Fantilli could jumpstart things a bit and it's sounding like Voracek may never play again so Miller's cap hit would be eaten up by that alone 

If they win a top 2 pick maybe then they'd consider moving Sillinger, he hasn't had the success Johnson has had this season 

Yeah this is my train of thought. I don't think we would get a 1st. Peeke and Sillinger are on down years right now, but have upside. Miller is a long term commitment, but still a good player despite being a headcase. So, I think it's a fair deal for both.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boy I would love that but I doubt they do it, might ruin their chances at Bedard. Speaking of, if they continue this free-fall, snag Bedard (or even Fant/Carlsson) they have their top line center right there. Miller would look good alongside Gaudreau though.

I think there are plenty of hungry, desperate teams who are clinging on to the hopes of a final playoff push, and we have to take advantage of them. Pittsburgh and Washington clearly want to keep their Crosby/Ovi windows open for as long as possible so we should pounce. They don't have the best prospect pools by any means, but they're hovering around Wild card spots and that means quite a tasty 1st round pick in the 15-20th overall position.

We've already pounced on one desperate Lou, time to find partners for Miller and Boeser...

Problem with CBJ is cap, they have some extensions kicking in next year and not much cap off the books and a lot of ELCs who are going to need extending in a couple of years time, so Miller is a bit too pricey for them.

I would suppose the deal would happen at the draft, before Miller's next contract kicks in.

If Columbus removes the liability (Because of injuries and costs while on IR) in Voracek and adds a RD (Ceulemans, Boqvist, Peeke) where they have very strong depth for Miller, I don't see why they wouldn't go for it with their difficulty in attracting talent.  Seems like a very win-win move for both sides. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If Columbus removes the liability (Because of injuries and costs while on IR) in Voracek and adds a RD (Ceulemans, Boqvist, Peeke) where they have very strong depth for Miller, I don't see why they wouldn't go for it with their difficulty in attracting talent.  Seems like a very win-win move for both sides. 

It’s an interesting idea, and despite Columbus being sellers also, there’s some urgency to explore this soon before his NTC kicks in.

Peeke, Ceulemans and a 2024 2nd gets it done for me. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

It’s an interesting idea, and despite Columbus being sellers also, there’s some urgency to explore this soon before his NTC kicks in.

Peeke, Ceulemans and a 2024 2nd gets it done for me. 

Any time up to June 30... Could theoretically happen at the draft (28th) for that package (though I'd want their 2023 2nd).

• Thanks 1

Jt Miller for Jamie Benn, who says no?

I think I know most peoples answers, but I think most people will be wrong. 

edit:

The more you look into the trade, the better it actually sounds not only in the long run but short term as well.

Here’s some reasons why I’d make the deal in a heartbeat.

Jamie Benn is a local boy. He’s bigger, tougher, and can actually play centre. Three things this team is currently lacking. He would immediately be our best faceoff taking centre, replacing Horvat as our best faceoff C.

We’ll be taking on 1.5 million above Millers 8, as Benn is taking him 9.5 annually. However we shed 5 years of of Millers term. Benn’s contract ends in 2025, while we’d be carrying Millers until 2030.

He's currently outperforming Miller this year, in a bounce back year.

Benn could play up and down the line, both centre and wing, and would be a great netfront guy for PP1.

For Dallas, they get the better (on paper) player who can play with their young guys. Miller is also 4 years younger, so in theory they get a guy who can grow with the core as they push into the playoffs.

FYI this is 100% a pipe dream, realistically Dallas hangs up the phone. They aren't in a position to be trading their captain when they're fighting for a division title, Benn also has a full NTC. I think if we ever move Miller, this is the kind of deal we'd be looking at. If were lucky. 

Edited by MattWN.
because.
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Jt Miller for Jamie Benn, who says no?

I think I know most peoples answers, but I think most people will be wrong. 

Jamie and his NMC :P

I'd do it for some sweetener, especially if they retained $750k to even this hits. But he isn't waiving to Van, so...

Edited by aGENT