The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

@J-23 I reckon Carolina, Pittsburgh, and maybe Washington would be the best trade options 

Miller could easily slot into the Pacioretty spot, Pacioretty's expiring contract would almost completely cover Miller's extension too 

As for Pittsburgh, I still like something around the proposal I've made previously, might be willing to even take a 2nd instead

I would like to throw Columbus in there too. They have a hard time locking players up without overpaying & they seem adamant on getting competitive. Gaudreau case in point. 

Miller to Columbus 

Peeke, Sillinger and a 2nd to Van 

Either way I think Miller is getting dealt at the draft. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

I would like to throw Columbus in there too. They have a hard time locking players up without overpaying & they seem adamant on getting competitive. Gaudreau case in point. 

Miller to Columbus 

Boy I would love that but I doubt they do it, might ruin their chances at Bedard. Speaking of, if they continue this free-fall, snag Bedard (or even Fant/Carlsson) they have their top line center right there. Miller would look good alongside Gaudreau though.

I think there are plenty of hungry, desperate teams who are clinging on to the hopes of a final playoff push, and we have to take advantage of them. Pittsburgh and Washington clearly want to keep their Crosby/Ovi windows open for as long as possible so we should pounce. They don't have the best prospect pools by any means, but they're hovering around Wild card spots and that means quite a tasty 1st round pick in the 15-20th overall position.

We've already pounced on one desperate Lou, time to find partners for Miller and Boeser...

Problem with CBJ is cap, they have some extensions kicking in next year and not much cap off the books and a lot of ELCs who are going to need extending in a couple of years time, so Miller is a bit too pricey for them.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I dunno. Minty would be getting a sure thing with Demko. Wallestedt is still not a sure fire NHL player. There’s a lot to the journey and development that could happen with him. He could continue to project as an NHLer  or he could go wayward. Like so many have said that goalies are a different animal as a player but also in their development. Is Minnesota in win now mode? 

That's the question.........they're in a bit of a grey zone.  They're a playoff team with a mix of vets and young guys.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Wallstedt already has his NHL number reserved - they are that confident in him being their long term number 1.  Gustavsson was forced to take a new number.

It's also not like they can easily make room for a 5M contract.  They are completely cap strapped next season + Fleury has a full NMC.  There are too few players they are ready to move - Greenway and Goligoski might give them just enough room to complete their roster. 

Demko is on a good contract that they could fit in without too much complications.  You're probably right about Wallstedt, but was an example of the kind of deal I'd be looking for from.a demko move

5 hours ago, KKnight said:

Miller to Columbus 

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boy I would love that but I doubt they do it, might ruin their chances at Bedard. Speaking of, if they continue this free-fall, snag Bedard (or even Fant/Carlsson) they have their top line center right there. Miller would look good alongside Gaudreau though.

Technically, we have until July 1 to move Miller. End of season trade to CBJ wouldn't effect their Bedard push and would still occur before his NMC kicks in...just saying :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Canucks will now get to see how Miller and Petey do as 1C and 2C while also handling the tough matchups and faceoff draws.

May not be pretty if Canucks get the Miller that was at the start of season.  

It won’t be pretty in fact  it’s going to be super ugly.

Getting possession will be tough. 

The D zone and pp pk faceoffs are going to increase our draft odds.

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Canucks will now get to see how Miller and Petey do as 1C and 2C while also handling the tough matchups and faceoff draws.

May not be pretty if Canucks get the Miller that was at the start of season.  

if it's the early season Miller, then our odds of getting Bedard rises significantly. Prepare to lose a lot more

4 hours ago, stawns said:

That's the question.........they're in a bit of a grey zone.  They're a playoff team with a mix of vets and young guys.

so they'll probably stand pat this year then. if they make it, they go all in with their current roster. if not, not the end of the world. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

so they'll probably stand pat this year then. if they make it, they go all in with their current roster. if not, not the end of the world. 

if they have thoughts about moving Miller, it'll have to be done in the next 4 weeks

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, KKnight said:

Miller to Columbus 

Zero chance they do that trade.  
you could take out Peeke and the 2nd, then retain on Miller and they’d still say no.  

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd rather have Kent Johnson. But regardless there's no way it fits into their hell of a cap situation.

They wouldn’t trade him either.  

I don’t know why people are thinking that team should be loading up on poor contract vets like Miller. 
They are the worst team in the league.  
Sillinger and Johnson are their future and they won’t be competing for a couple years. 
Miller on the CBJ makes less sense than Miller on the Canucks.  

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I don’t know why people are thinking that team should be loading up on poor contract vets like Miller. 
Sillinger and Johnson are their future and they won’t be competing for a couple years. 

Probably because they signed Johnny Hockey. That team is a mess. I would love to see Boone Jenner here but they won't let him go either.

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

if they have thoughts about moving Miller, it'll have to be done in the next 4 weeks

Technically they have to ~the draft to move him. Which would likely work better for a team like CBJ anyway (in theory) as he doesn't help them score this season, and perhaps drop a couple spots in the Bedard lottery.

23 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Only reason I can think of is that teams like CBJ and WPG have trouble retaining talent. If CBJ can get term and cost certainty, while perhaps dumping other cap (Voracek?), they might be open to acquiring him. Especially being from the area/close to his home in PIT.

It's certainly far more likely we'd move him to a "win now" team (BOS, WAS, PIT, CAR etc) though, if we move him at all.

Edited by aGENT

9 hours ago, KKnight said:

Miller to Columbus 

Yeah, I don't see Miller returning that, I do think Columbus could be an option though 

I'd be a bit surprised if they gave up on Sillinger given he's a local Columbus guy 

The wrinkle with Columbus is what happens regarding the draft lottery, say they win a lottery pick (or Bedard), I could see them moving on from a young center then 

A Bedard or Fantilli could jumpstart things a bit and it's sounding like Voracek may never play again so Miller's cap hit would be eaten up by that alone 

If they win a top 2 pick maybe then they'd consider moving Sillinger, he hasn't had the success Johnson has had this season 

Edited by Coconuts