The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

7 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

D men should definitely be our focus. 

Now that Vegas has Whitecloud and Theodore back from injury, I wonder if we could pry Korczak from them.  Perhaps offer Boeser or Beauvillier to replace Stone in their top 6?

Probably have to figure out the longer term cap issues in a trade there for Boeser's final two years there, but I'd be happy with that as well as moving out Miller and eventually Myers so that we can finally build this roster out to become competitive in 2+ years.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Also, the whole freeing up of $8 million in cap space so we can go out and spend that money on a bunch of overpriced UFA’s makes zero sense as well. 

Who wants to spend it on overpriced UFA's?! Blech :sick:

I'd prefer we spend it on acquiring guys teams can't afford to keep (like we did to obtain Miller in the first place). Maybe some more Kuzmenko's, a Livingstone here or there, a short cap dump here or there to acquire even more picks and prospects...

That seems way smarter ::D

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

But the plan when we signed Miller, was not to trade Horvat according to Alvin. This summer Alvin said on multiple occasions they were going to get Horvat extended and he didn't foresee it being an issue. It was, we didn't get the signing done. That weakened our team substantially in the short term, and has changed the direction of the team. 

The situation has changed since Miller put pen to paper. We were also supposed to be a playoff team, not a bottom feeder.

IMO, once Miller was signed Horvat was going to get traded. I don’t buy what JR/PA were selling to be totally honest.  I don’t believe they had any intention of signing both of them and the last few months were just for show. 

That’s my own opinion and I could be totally wrong. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Colorado got lucky that they ended up with the 4th overall pick. It’s not like they planned to get that. Same thing could happen with the Islanders pick if they don’t make the playoffs and are dumb enough to give us their 2024 1st. 

As for trading Miller, some are quite happy to trade him for JK, Morrow and a 1st. JK might be a $5 million 3C for his career. Morrow isn’t even signed yet. He could literally walk after 2 more years and pull an Adam Fox.  The 1st round pick will be in the late 20’s and could be a complete bust. 

So there is no guarantee we will be any father ahead by trading Miller. At least if we keep him we know exactly what we got. 

Also, the whole freeing up of $8 million in cap space so we can go out and spend that money on a bunch of overpriced UFA’s makes zero sense as well. 

Except no one said spend on UFAs.

You use those assets you acquired to get help on D and trade for a younger cost controlled center.

Basically take it back 4 years with another Miller like trade that fits our actual window.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I'd prefer we spend it on acquiring guys teams can't afford to keep (like we did to obtain Miller in the first place). Maybe some more Kuzmenko's, a Livingstone here or there, a short cap dump here or there to acquire even more picks and prospects...

Yup, use that cap space to pounce on a RD where another team can't afford it. Add assets if we have to to get a quality piece. One solid RD goes a long way to building this team/turning it around.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Probably have to figure out the longer term cap issues in a trade there for Boeser's final two years there, but I'd be happy with that as well as moving out Miller and eventually Myers so that we can finally build this roster out to become competitive in 2+ years.

I’d retain on Boeser for Korczak, no problem.
Trade Myers, check.

Agree to disagree on trading Miller, but hey…2/3 ain’t bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This is what EF does,

He is stirring the pot.

..  and posters jump on it, and bring it to life.

Elliott and his enormous bottom lip know exactly what buttons to push in every market - in that regard he's no dummy;   I can't say the same about people who buy his fabrications though. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We could also do that by buying out OEL. :)

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IMO, once Miller was signed Horvat was going to get traded. I don’t buy what JR/PA were selling to be totally honest.  I don’t believe they had any intention of signing both of them and the last few months were just for show. 

That’s my own opinion and I could be totally wrong. 

I don't think that plan makes sense personally. Losing Horvat drastically decreases our chance of being competitive in the 2-3 window management is on the record of shooting for. To me, it was either trade both and rebuild, or sign both and "re-tool". We are currently stuck in the mushy middle, exactly the same as the last decade.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except no one said spend on UFAs.

You use those assets you acquired to get help on D and trade for a younger cost controlled center.

Basically take it back 4 years with another Miller like trade that fits our actual window.

You’re not freeing up $8 million if you trade Miller. Most certainly you are taking money back. A trade to Carolina most certainly would involve JK and taking back a 3C at $5 million. So over 60% of that $8 million in cap space is already spent. 

I believe stawns is the one suggesting to go out and get UFA’s to fill some holes. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You’re not freeing up $8 million if you trade Miller. Most certainly you are taking money back. A trade to Carolina most certainly would involve JK and taking back a 3C at $5 million. So over 60% of that $8 million in cap space is already spent. 

I believe stawns is the one suggesting to go out and get UFA’s to fill some holes. 

Except JK could potentially be built up and flipped for more assets since he’s younger.

If not worst case scenario is buying him out. He has a very buyout friendly contract that would only carry an 800k hit long term. Worth it to acquire prime pieces.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

@Coconuts, @aGENT, @BigTramFan , @stawns, @DeNiro thanks for the discussion. 

Respect your opposing views, even when we disagree. It would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

Likewise, we don't always agree on things but we've had some really good discussions and I look forward to having more. 

If we retain 50% on JT is that only on his current expiring deal or also on his contract starting next year? Or can that be specified in the trade terms? 

reason I ask is because if it’s only for this season retaining half could make a deal easier to make. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except JK could potentially be built up and flipped for more assets since he’s younger.

If not worst case scenario is buying him out. He has a very buyout friendly contract that would only carry an 800k hit long term. Worth it to acquire prime pieces.

He's got 24 points in 55 games playing under 13 mins a night.  At 22, he's still got a lot of developing to do.  He's about a year away from playing to his contract, imo, if he continues to develop, then he becomes a bargain top 6 fwd. 

Worst case scenario, his mod NTC doesn't kick in for two years and they could flip him pretty easily, imo 

• Cheers 2