The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 14 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Panthers - 4pm PT/7pm ET - FLA Live Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Here I am with my Miller delusions...

Miller can play center, he also can play wing, he has played center in the past for some time. So, he is a center,  Is he a good enough center this year? maybe not.

He had a couple lazy plays last game but without him Bo would not have scored, JT played hard and checked a guy off the puck to set up the goal. Then a bueaty of a goal for himself on the breakaway.

He is often the leader when we are down by a goal or too. He pushes back regardless of the score. 

For these reasons, I would not bench him. I dont see that as being productive to getting his d-game on track. You coach different personalities, differently.

Agreed on the Brock potential benching on cancer night though, that was a sad oversight. 

Miller has been better lately I've noticed but he deserves a benching if anyone does. Clear favorite of BB which just adds to the team not giving a crap.

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Agreed. I don’t like scratching anyone who is a big part of this team. 

Also, as much as we critique OEL, he is still a top 4 defender on this team. That was dumb to scratch him. BB looks like he is at his wits ends and trying to use this as a motivation tool. Looking at OEL’s reaction, as @-DLC-pointed out, it looked meaningless. 

Having a nice uncle as the head coach was a nice change from Travis but BB he is too nice. The problem with this team is no one is following proper structure. BB can preach it but he is not on the ice. We need a middle ground coach that’s not too heavy but also not too much of a nice guy. 

I dont know what think about OEL.

I like him and dont know if I would have benched him. However his statement, well, it seems victim-ish...

Hopefully he re-focuses and gets back to the game he loves and that pays him so well. 

I put a lot of blame on our front house. They seem like the worst performers. 

It's been said sooo much, if we had some D-help via trade and if Demko wasn't sidelined, we would be in a different situation. The players that are under fire right now, might not be if JR would have woken up and helped. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I find it funny that Sid Seixeiro was saying that Vancouver is the worst run team in the NHL. (Well we're not playing in a 5000 seat stadium that our AHL team has a LARGER arena) I'm not saying Ownership and management isn't bad. It is.

But he seems to completely forgotten how bad Toronto was under the Ballard regime. 

Is Aqua the new Ballard? He sure seems like it.

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Miller has been better lately I've noticed but he deserves a benching if anyone does. Clear favorite of BB which just adds to the team not giving a crap.

I have already stated that I disagree.

I see it that Miller is hard enough on himself. Benching him would only hurt the team and likely not motivate him.

If he was out last game...the game would have been completely lost in the first, instead of nearly tying it up and ending up a very close game.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't think it's a matter of being "the favourite".

BB has stated, quite emphatically, that "JT really wants to win/hates losing". He wants guys out there who care...JT may have momentarily lapses of indifference but, overall, his game isn't played that way. Some others are playing that way....(Myers, OEL...I'm looking at you). Myers seems to care...but he wants to play goal, forward...everything BUT d at times. He takes a kazillion shots a game...often zinging them around the boards (and out). How many times has he been positioned beside our net, stick ready to make the save? Often, when the play's on the other side of the ice. Focus on your position/role. I'm tired of seeing him fly into the screen as he launches himself on his belly like he's sliding into home (only to be taken out of a play). With that big body/reach, there are other options.

Our d is atrocious...JT's defensive play is secondary to that. Address it at the source.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

If we're going to just cope for the rest of this season, let's add toughness to protect our assets. People are taking advantage of our speed and finesse style. Garland is an example. I think we have one tough guy in Abby DiGseppe. And go and get a tough forward or dman, low cost. Protect what we got till next year. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't think it's a matter of being "the favourite".

BB has stated, quite emphatically, that "JT really wants to win/hates losing". He wants guys out there who care...JT may have momentarily lapses of indifference but, overall, his game isn't played that way. Some others are playing that way....(Myers, OEL...I'm looking at you). Myers seems to care...but he wants to play goal, forward...everything BUT d at times. He takes a kazillion shots a game...often zinging them around the boards (and out). How many times has he been positioned beside our net, stick ready to make the save? While the play's on the other side fo the ice. Focus on your position/role. I'm tired of seeing him fly into the screen as he launches himself on his belly (only to be taken out of a play). With that big body/reach, there are other options.

Our d is atrocious...JT's defensive play is secondary to that. Address it at the source.

This is Jim Rutherford's take after the goalie rant, he's not worried. And I'm not worried about Miller either, as far as trades go, they can trade anyone other than Petey, all that matters is that it works and they get the team going in the right direction.

Rutherford was preaching patience with Miller, especially when asked to play the demanding centre position.

“It’s a work in progress,” Rutherford stressed. “Every time anybody tries to do anything, we want it done yesterday. But there’s a process. I’m not complaining about this, but there have been lot of line changes with J.T. at centre and then wing.

“Just recently, before he got moved back to the wing, he centred a line and played against top lines and didn’t get scored on for three games.

“He was very conscious and, sure, there are mistakes that are fixable. And he’s willing to do it. Sid (Sidney Crosby) has always been one of the great all-around players, but prior to winning back-to-back Cups (2016-17), his 200-foot game became responsible.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-former-netminder-jim-rutherford-not-ruffled-by-j-t-millers-goalie-rant

Edited by aliboy
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

The other thing that some don't consider is this....maybe JT, himself is aware of when he knows he'll be able to get back into a play (or not). He's not the fastest and after grinding out shifts (which, often he does...he battles for the puck), he might be gassed. I do recognize that in giving up on a play, he also might miss a puck bobble or chance to help clear away/grab a rebound. So there's that element in it for sure.

But "lazy" is what the eye sees. As he glides off the ice, sure...he could get off quicker for changes at times, that part can't be denied. But when a play's blown past him, maybe him conserving the energy that would be wasted trying is not a bad idea. Sure, the optics aren't good but people don't understand what a gruelling game this is. Watch it at ice level to see ... the speed and intensity isn't always as clear on TV as it is up close. Sometimes these guys are gassed as they hit the bench. I feel that, more than his "attitude" perhaps it's his conditioning that needs a bit of work?

He needs to work on some things for sure. But he wants to win and his pure emotion demonstrates that. I want guys who care (that badly)....not are ok "because" they have family and friends who love them.  (Yes, that's a poke at OEL because our d is awful and he's the high paid veteran/leader in that).

I said this from day one, that JT was out of shape this year.  He had way more jump last year where he primarily played centre and was relied on as our top scoring option while Petey was struggling.

Hopefully, he works hard in the gym this summer and gets back into top shape.  He had the contract to deal with in the summer and also had a new kid as well, so he probably didn't spend the time needed to get into top shape last summer.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we're going to just cope for the rest of this season, let's add toughness to protect our assets. People are taking advantage of our speed and finesse style. Garland is an example. I think we have one tough guy in Abby DiGseppe. And go and get a tough forward or dman, low cost. Protect what we got till next year. 

I agree.  We are getting pushed around too much.  If we are tanking then at least we should be getting some face punchers into the lineup who can protect our guys.  If we are moving Horvat to Boston then we definitely need to include Travis Frederic into the deal. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I said this from day one, that JT was out of shape this year.  He had way more jump last year where he primarily played centre and was relied on as our top scoring option while Petey was struggling.

Hopefully, he works hard in the gym this summer and gets back into top shape.  He had the contract to deal with in the summer and also had a new kid as well, so he probably didn't spend the time needed to get into top shape last summer.

New kid dad bod

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  We are getting pushed around too much.  If we are tanking then at least we should be getting some face punchers into the lineup who can protect our guys.  If we are moving Horvat to Boston then we definitely need to include Travis Frederic into the deal. 

We could have had Reaves for peanuts. A bloody 5th round pick! No one would have dared to take liberties on our players with him on the bench. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd like to see G-Raff KO Rat-Face like he did Dirtbag Duncan.

For tonight's game, the main event between the Turtle and All Of Dakota is what I'm looking forward to.

GO "O" GO!  GO "P" GO!  GO "Q" GO!

Go Alphabet Soup On Their Asses!!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

New kid dad bod

Game shape or injury? Or both? I’ve mentioned this a few times. His speed last year was almost lightening compared to this year. The breakaway goal he scored last game is promise he is getting some of that speed back.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

We could have had Reaves for peanuts. A bloody 5th round pick! No one would have dared to take liberties on our players with him on the bench. 

I do agree that a presence likes Reaves would have been good!! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Game shape or injury? Or both? I’ve mentioned this a few times. His speed last year was almost lightening compared to this year. The breakaway goal he scored last game is promise he is getting some of that speed back.

He doesn't look injured to me.  He looks gassed after about 60 seconds of a shift.  Which is probably why he is slow to getting to the bench on a line change and not getting back into the play when we lose the puck...