The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Another thing that gets rarely mentioned: Gillis held onto his assets too tightly, so by the time they had to be traded, their original values had decreased from before. Part of this may have been due to his unpopularity around the league as a GM; teams rarely traded with him unless they gained something from him, which in turn made him more reluctant to trade.

Schneider for a 1st round pick was a terrible trade at the time. Schneider was a PROVEN asset and he was traded for an unknown pick.

It wasn't until Horvat improved his skating that made him such a good player. It EASILY could've gone the way of Brendan Gaunce.

He also could have easily traded Ballard when it became clear that AV wasn't going to give him a fair shot instead of keeping both and tanking the value.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He also could have easily traded Ballard when it became clear that AV wasn't going to give him a fair shot instead of keeping both and tanking the value.

Ballard ended up being a buy-out by Gillis.

L-O-L at asset management.

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

I disagree, I think JB built a solid core that can still be good if the new regime sees their mistakes.......which I doubt they will.

Two moves, that's all that needed to be made to achieve what they wanted to achieve......and they botched it, hard.

EP and Demko were the only core that were great picks by the previous regime. Hughes fell into our laps. Other than that, we literally don't have another drafted impact player on the team after 8 years. Horvat was Gillis. That's pathetic. Not a single defenceman after Hughes in 8 drafts. McCann, Forsling and Guenther on other NHL teams, lost for worse players.

On top of that, capped strapped by players that became negative value right after signing/acquiring their contracts. No prospect pool. Diminishing asset quantity and value.

This management team has to untangle all the previous mistake before they can make their mark.

Not saying they're not up for criticism, but it's not fair to criticize them for trying to fix the previous regime's mistakes.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Based on listening to the whole interview I would conclude that the following will happen:

1. Bo traded for a young centre and a young RD by the trade deadline

2. OEL bought out in June.

3. Poolman status will be a buyout in June if he is healthy or LTIR for the rest of his contract.

4. Miller will not be traded. JR feels his contract will not be a burden as the cap goes up. He is here long term.

He talks about making unpopular moves that is number 1. He talks about buyouts and OEL is the one that moves the needle. He talks about clarity coming on Poolman.

Not saying I agree with him - just that this is what I think he is saying he is going to do.

That is just a horrific list of possible outcomes 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

EP and Demko were the only core that were great picks by the previous regime. Hughes fell into our laps. Other than that, we literally don't have another drafted impact player on the team after 8 years. Horvat was Gillis. That's pathetic. Not a single defenceman after Hughes in 8 drafts. McCann, Forsling and Guenther on other NHL teams, lost for worse players.

On top of that, capped strapped by players that became negative value right after signing/acquiring their contracts. No prospect pool. Diminishing asset quantity and value.

This management team has to untangle all the previous mistake before they can make their mark.

Not saying they're not up for criticism, but it's not fair to criticize them for trying to fix the previous regime's mistakes.

And the previous regime had to clean up a huge mess caused by the stupidest GM in the history of the franchise.  Benning didn't call a press conference and suggest that he was going to destroy the team this offseason with buyouts creating long-term dead cap.  Benning didn't throw a quality coach under the bus while bringing in Yeo to destroy the defence and considering bringing in a convicted felon to coach the team.  Just like Benning deserves the blame for the stupid moves he made, Rutherford cannot be allowed to make the moves he has threatened to.  There is simply no excuse for not firing him on the spot after that press conference, and it is our duty as fans to make it clear that Rutherford is not welcome in Vancouver.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He can’t win at this point.

The only way fans would be happy is if he said the word rebuild and said they’re tanking for Bedard. :lol:

I honestly don’t understand fans obsession with that word. Like it has to be said otherwise he’s an idiot and doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Theres gonna be a major overhaul of the roster, it takes time though. Only so much you can do when the last management signed players to bad contracts.

The biggest takeaway for me from this is that they’ve chosen a direction. They’re not gonna try desperately to save this season like in the past. And it’s pretty obvious they’re gonna make some moves at the deadline to get younger. I don’t know what else people were looking for.

It seems that some fans want to tank, but still want to able to bitch about said tank, while tank is actively going on…:rolleyes:

We are near the bottom of the standings so I think the tank is firmly in control in my opinion.

The players have pride, yes it’s been a bad year but they hate to lose. It’s hard to balance that plus tank at the same time. 

Hard to keep everyone happy. Especially in this market. But at least good news is we are open for business it seems and that’s a sign of change to come.

Looking forward to it.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Hated the first half of the interview. Very canned answers in terms of the injury and how it was handles. 

Can't believe we're still talking re-tool instead. Beating a dead horse after the last management group. 

11 hours ago, McBackup said:

“We’re not moving toward a rebuild, I prefer the term retool. We want younger players not draft picks.”

Oh good. It’s Benning in 2014 all over again. I don’t know why they insist on keeping with this strategy that hasn’t worked and this core that hasn’t proven anything.

Re-tool means a shorter re-build.  It actually makes more sense because we already have some great young players.  I'm tired of the core as well as you two, and Rutherford said that they're willing to move out core pieces.  

Let's not get caught up on words here (retool rebuild reset rewhatever), JR was clear that major surgery needs to happen.  Moving out key pieces for younger players and draft picks is 95% of what you guys are asking for.  

21 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Exactly, I'm almost speechless watching the Benning fan club hanging the new management before they even had time to do anything real. As in multiple draftings etc... 

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Exactly, I'm almost speechless watching the Benning fan club hanging the new management before they even had time to do anything real. As in multiple draftings etc... 

Literally every decision they have made has been bad, and Rutherford openly proved himself to be a complete idiot by suggesting that buyouts were an option.  This scumbag cannot be allowed to do the amount of damage to the franchise he suggested he will do this off-season, and really shouldn't be allowed to make any more decisions that impact the team.  Why in holy hell would anyone consider allowing him to keep up this BS for longer?

Edited by King Heffy
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

By island I meant "sell high on boeser" three years ago.  

Ok fair enough, yeah I can see that..  

Anyway, ya know, in the last few seasons we've taken down some of the best teams in the league, with a lesser roster. 

As it stands now, we're not far away IF we can keep up what JR said when he wanted speed and toughness but with a D side to it, even if we trade some assets, we'll still have scoring which is not our issue as everyone knows. 

Especially being one of the smaller teams in the league. 

The team we need to model after was our 2011 which had enough of a balance and a quick physical forecheck, forced the turnovers that we give up instead. 

BUT that's a style of hockey that has to have depth, without it... Well close doesn't count for any more than it did back then. 

Until we get that again, we could make the playoffs but never get far.  

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Are you even paying attention? You haven't read or watched the local media bullshi_ that's doing it and has been for awhile now but this week is ramped up so what do you expect? Half the CDC believes every bit of it, you can hardly blame it on those who were ok with Benning all you like but fact remains it's local media based, I.M. had that on his Twitter page for the last 2-3 weeks.. and all the other online hacks as well. 

A simple google of "canucks news" will prove my point.. it's been littered with JR and AL bashing and BB for Tochett.. 

Pay attention! Lmao! 

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Literally every decision they have made has been bad, and Rutherford openly proved himself to be a complete idiot by suggesting that buyouts were an option.  This scumbag cannot be allowed to do the amount of damage to the franchise he suggested he will do this off-season, and really shouldn't be allowed to make any more decisions that impact the team.  Why in holy hell would anyone consider allowing him to keep up this BS for longer?

Patience

sexy game of thrones GIF

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The team has wasted plenty. 

Those two you mentioned are developed

Who else would you like to see waste away watching? 

It’s time for this team to shit or get off the pot. And the pot is full of shit. 

Yes, the two mentioned are developed. Kind of my point. My question was how many years of "their career" would you like to waste waiting on hopes and dreams draft picks to be NHL ready ready and effective? That's why Rutherford said he was looking to trade for young NHL players rather than draft picks.