The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Jim Rutherford: "The changes we need to make are not with the core players, but with the other players on the team."

Holy Smokes!   Is he talking about the same group of core players that have been failing together for a half decade or some other core we don't know about?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I appreciate JR being humbled and admitting he hasn't done a good job so far. It has to be terribly difficult to make trades these days where both teams come out with what they want. It's easy to say "trade Myers". To who? What GM is licking his chops give up assets to pay Myers $6 million? This whole thing is going to take TIME and patience, lots of it. There is a huge mess to sort out and unfortunately, some contracts have to expire, some have to be bought out, and some trades will happen.

I'm glad that JR realizes the Canucks aren't a playoff team and it sounds like Horvat wants too much money, so he'll be traded. I actually have a glimmer of hope. Maybe they're finally preparing to get off the hamster wheel. 

Agree. Have to give him credit for publicly admitting that. This fanbase needs honesty from management rather than spin. People don't hav to like what he says but at least if he's honest that builds some trust. 

Hey, look, it's that "retool" word again. I thought JR was supposed to be a breath of fresh air, hey, CDC?

Why, as a fanbase, did we allow ourselves to be so blinded by the small picture while ignoring the big picture stuff?

We ALL loved what Gillis did for the Canucks in the short term. However, as time goes by, we seem to deliberately ignore the massive failure in development of him.

Similarly, JR re-signed Miller. He brought us back INTO this cap situation. There was no obvious plan to fail, and even today, they refuse to do a rebuild. Rebuilding is not about telling players not to play hard. That's not what professionals do. However, teams like Anaheim, Chicago and Arizona have prepared themselves for this year's draft. Chicago still tries to win - it's just that their roster is gutted lol.

Whoever is running this team, whether it's ownership or management, is a moron. If it's management, then they ALL deserve the blame.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Re tool.... young nhl players not draft picks..... keeping core players and trading other players.....

Did I go back in time?

I'll take guys like mavrik bourque and Elias salomannson back ( 19-21 ) ready to take the next step but we better not be looking at the mid 20 year olds. 

I really don't understand why our management cries about the money issue but actively tries to avoid the cost effective route... Kids on ELCs lol. They would rather gamble with mid 20 year olds on 3x3 bridges and try to develop them while playing in the NHL... After being a failed prospect on another team for years already.  Sounds like the biggest bone head move you could make lmao! 

At the very least the picks and prospects along with cap space all have waaaay more trade value than anything atm 

• Like 1

Statement #1: Jim Rutherford says when he arrived, he believed the team would need minor surgery (in terms of changes to the roster). He now says he believes they need major surgery.  

Statement #2: The changes we need to make are not with the core players, but with the other players on the team

Which is it Jim ?

(P.S. : I Think we all know the answer)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

I am seeing this delayed reaction on here by some. 

We needed a rebuild in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, even 2021.  But in diminishing return for what we had, as those years went by.  Because during that time we inevitably landed some good higher draft prospects, even though a couple were disasters and we traded away more than we should have. A goalie was one of the gems we found. Which is very important.  And so as those years went by, it became more and more of a possibility to use the core we had developed, almost accidentally, and tool around them. That throwing the babies out with the bathwater was getting more difficult as the years went by. To the point that now its tipped over to where it makes more sense to try and see if retooling around our core will get us to, maybe not a top tier contending team, but a second tier one, that at least has a shot.   And to me, for how long I've waited as a fan, that is fine by me.  Success breeds success, no matter how you get there.

Today, we have gone past the point of rebuilding.  I mean, its never past that point in reality. Any team could start one anytime, but its about how prudent is it now in this moment.  Years...a decade even....past the point of optimum prime time to rebuild.

We are not the same team as in 2014.  We have a younger core just entering their prime years. Including probably the best young D we have ever had, and a potential superstar at center who's only getting better. 

Would a major strip down rebuild work?  A good chance it would.  For any team. Not garanteed though for many years.  Success would have to happen with different young stars, still to be drafted. With the core players we have now half gone, and half starting to decline.   Maybe  watching Petey play for another team. Do you want that? I'm not sure a lot of fans really understand what they think they want.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

I get the anger and impatience, but demanding a rebuild before this new management has more of an opportunity to salvage what we have is a mistake IMO.  I'm with JR ......for  now.  I gave Bumbling Benning at least 3 years.

Here's what JR failed to do in a short period of time.

Refused to trade Miller and re-signed him when he SHOULD have been traded.

Did nothing in the first TDL. Overspent the cap during FA, which included re-signing Miller

No plan to fail, also no cap space to improve

That's a LOT of failures in a very truncated period of time.

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

I am seeing this delayed reaction on here by some. 

We needed a rebuild in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, even 2021.  But in diminishing return for what we had, as those years went by.  Because during that time we inevitably landed some good higher draft prospects, even though a couple were disasters and we traded away more than we should have. A goalie was one of the gems we found. Which is very important.  And so as those years went by, it became more and more of a possibility to use the core we had developed, almost accidentally, and tool around them. That throwing the babies out with the bathwater was getting more difficult as the years went by. To the point that now its tipped over to where it makes more sense to try and see if retooling around our core will get us to, maybe not a top tier contending team, but a second tier one, that at least has a shot.   And to me, for how long I've waited as a fan, that is fine by me.  Success breeds success, no matter how you get there.

Today, we have gone past the point of rebuilding.  I mean, its never past that point in reality. Any team could start one anytime, but its about how prudent is it now in this moment.  Years...a decade even....past the point of optimum prime time to rebuild.

We are not the same team as in 2014.  We have a younger core just entering their prime years. Including probably the best young D we have ever had, and a potential superstar at center who's only getting better. 

Would a major strip down rebuild work?  A good chance it would.  For any team. Not garanteed though for many years.  Success would have to happen with different young stars, still to be drafted. With the core players we have now half gone, and half starting to decline.   Maybe  watching Petey play for another team. Do you want that? I'm not sure a lot of fans really understand what they think they want.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

I get the anger and impatience, but demanding a rebuild before this new management has more of an opportunity to salvage what we have is a mistake IMO.  I'm with JR ......for  now.  I gave Bumbling Benning at least 3 years.

Yeah, they drafted EP, QH, Demko, BB, Podz and Hogs from poor results in regular season.  Missed on JV and OJ, got rid of McCann too early.  BB is not playing up to his potential so he might be moved first.  

But unless you want to get rid of them all, it can't be a full rebuild.  Retool is the way to go at this point.  JR did say that some of the core may need to be changed, so retool is the right term to use. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Statement #1: Jim Rutherford says when he arrived, he believed the team would need minor surgery (in terms of changes to the roster). He now says he believes they need major surgery.  

Statement #2: The changes we need to make are not with the core players, but with the other players on the team

Which is it Jim ?

(P.S. : I Think we all know the answer)

I will listen to the recording again once it is posted. He did walk back on #2, and said some of the core may need to be changed. 

• Like 1