The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

A rebuild to be me will be trading EP and QH.  

That's a full tear down rebuild. You can rebuild with pieces in place.

A quick minor rebuild would entail "tanking" for 2 years while accumulating cap space and prospects during said time.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, themcdeal said:

Q: What are the worst contracts on the team?  OEL and Myers?

A; OEL & Miller.    Myers only has a year left and be stickhandled off the team this summer if they try har enough!   His contract won't hamstring the team for years to come like the other two.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

A quick minor rebuild would entail "tanking" for 2 years while accumulating cap space and prospects during said time.

LA is a good example of what we should be going for.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, kilgore said:

JR has admitted that he has failed to do as much as he wanted so far.   But its been only a year.  Its amusing to see you of all posters be this impatient with a GM.  :lol:

This hysteria surrounding Miller and his contract is ridiculous.  Does he need to work on his defensive game? Yes, I hope he takes all that on board. I think he will work on that more.  But he's a dynamic forward who has done nothing but produce points for us. Is he a little over paid, and over extended? Sure, join the club with a lot of other players around the league. Miller's contract is hardly an albatross.  At least not yet, talk to me in 3 or 4 seasons.  The cap is going up, and we need players like Miller in our top six.  Totally agree with JR here. This media driven narrative of how it was a huge mistake to not have traded Miller, and the sheep fans that nod along is silly.  There were advantages in trading him....if the return was good enough....but there are also advantages in keeping him as part of the core during the next few years.

I think most people are patient to a certain extent. A big part of JB's downfall was the constant confusion and the lack of any clear direction, and I see similar signs of that with the new mgmt team unfortunately. But as you say, it has only been a year so patience is required but mgmt isn't doing itself any favours at this point.

With that being said, I do like how they have sent the young guys down to the AHL to get reps...moving to Abby was the best move this team has done in a while.

• Cheers 1

Look at this gem of a quote from Jimmy and tell me you didn't just get flashbacks of Vey, Clendenning, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin, Dalpe, Pouliot etc etc etc etc. This team needs major surbgery but I believe in the core so i will continue doing the exact same thing as we've done since 2014/2015 and bargain bin shop while spending to the cap on washed out tweeners who belong on the pine and not the ice because moneypuck.

“I'd prefer to get younger NHL players that maybe didn't work out in their entry level contract and, you know, bring them in and give them a second chance."

1673899059853.png
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Guys I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my car. I've changed the spark plugs and rotated the tires multiple times, but it still won't go. People keep telling me my head gasket is blown and the engine block is cracked, but I don't believe them.

Can you recommend a good spark plug manufacturer?

Maybe it needs a new paint job ::D

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, GB5 said:

Maybe it needs a new paint job ::D

Engine is blown because it's totally seized because you never changed the co...err oil?

Just get two new tires an air freshener and overpay for all of them and that should do the trick

• Cheers 2

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't care what the wording is. I do agree with the need for change to the roster. People get too hung up on retool vs rebuild.  They are tanking now, and will miss playoffs like last yr. That's two yrs.  Not signing Bo will be increasing cap space. Signing JT goes against that for sure when they still believed a minor surgery was all that was needed. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Exactly.  Rebulld to me is to trade EP, QH, and Demko. Clean house. Everything else is retool with varying degrees. 

I would consider keeping Kuz and Mik unless the team gets crazy good offers then they should probably move on. At least both play hard and have been productive (although Kuz is in a contract year)

5 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Guys I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my car. I've changed the spark plugs and rotated the tires multiple times, but it still won't go. People keep telling me my head gasket is blown and the engine block is cracked, but I don't believe them.

Can you recommend a good spark plug manufacturer?

Get an EV. 

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Look at this gem of a quote from Jimmy and tell me you didn't just get flashbacks of Vey, Clendenning, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin, Dalpe, Pouliot etc etc etc etc. This team needs major surbgery but I believe in the core so i will continue doing the exact same thing as we've done since 2014/2015 and bargain bin shop while spending to the cap on washed out tweeners who belong on the pine and not the ice because moneypuck.

“I'd prefer to get younger NHL players that maybe didn't work out in their entry level contract and, you know, bring them in and give them a second chance."

1673899059853.png

Yikes

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

1673899059853.png

Wonder if that quote foreshadows a specific trade. Kotkaniemi?

Edited by Kenny Powers

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

JR has admitted that he has failed to do as much as he wanted so far.   But its been only a year.  Its amusing to see you of all posters be this impatient with a GM.  :lol:

This hysteria surrounding Miller and his contract is ridiculous.  Does he need to work on his defensive game? Yes, I hope he takes all that on board. I think he will work on that more.  But he's a dynamic forward who has done nothing but produce points for us. Is he a little over paid, and over extended? Sure, join the club with a lot of other players around the league. Miller's contract is hardly an albatross.  At least not yet, talk to me in 3 or 4 seasons.  The cap is going up, and we need players like Miller in our top six.  Totally agree with JR here. This media driven narrative of how it was a huge mistake to not have traded Miller, and the sheep fans that nod along is silly.  There were advantages in trading him....if the return was good enough....but there are also advantages in keeping him as part of the core during the next few years.

It's because the failure has been so BLATANT in such a short period of time. He did all the wrong things and the consequences have been IMMEDIATELY felt.

The team is really good at offense, I'll give you that. JT has a part of that. However, the weakness of our roster was in defense, specifically in the way the forwards. JT is the wrong player to have on a team like this.

We aren't defensively good enough. What did management do? Nothing.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Semantics.

He probably sees that as a retool.

It’s like a politician not wanting to say recession. I don’t care about what word he uses I care about how he goes about fixing it.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1