The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Hockey Day in Canada.

The last memory of my Mom when she was still "with us". I've told it before. She was in palliative dying of brain cancer. Was not "with us" mentally any more and was barely hanging on physically. She did still recognize me, but thought my son was my ex. Thought her parents, (who'd died 20 years earlier) were still here. Etc.

I crept into her dark hospital room...curtains closed, lights off. She was sleeping.

I snuck the little hospital TV on...muted. Canucks. Pulled the arm of the TV so it was close to me but it was still in view of Mom. I think the light from it may have disturbed her. She stirred, then tried to sit up, squinting at the TV. All of a sudden she said "is that Trevor Linden?" It was. I was floored! I held her hand as a tear rolled down my cheek and we shared one of our final moments together. This was her team. Dammit.

FTR we beat the Leafs 6-1.

Ditto, my grandpa is in and out now, he waited for a cup but I don't know if he will even know for sure, he waited a long time he is 99 yrs old and will still talk about it every now and then. Sometimes he thinks they won one. Damn disease, he is still healthy except for this and will go over 100 easily, even covid didn't slow him down and he had it twice.

• Huggy Bear 2

REFEREES

Kendrick Nicholson #30
KN30.jpg?resize=120,120
Trevor Hanson #14
TH14.jpg?resize=120,120
Games ’22-23 42 40
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 75 / 0 74 / 4
Career Games (Reg/PO) 485 / 0 551 / 26
First NHL Game 1/17/15 10/24/13
Birthplace Milverton, ON Richmond, BC

LINESMEN

Bryan Pancich #94
BP94.jpg?resize=120,120
Joe Mahon #89
hs_JM89.jpg?resize=120,120&ssl=1
Games ’22-23 42 21
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 74 / 21 0 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 854 / 59 21 / 0
First NHL Game 10/3/09 11/1/22
Birthplace Great Falls, MT Calgary, AB
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I was thinking this as well. Hearing the Bruce there it is chants and then they panned to JR and Allvin in the box. I wondered, do they not hear this? Are they still going to go ahead with firing him, knowing how much the fans love him? Stone-cold Jim Rutherford. 

JR said when he first arrived, and several times since, that changes will be made and some of the people leaving might be ones the fans are very attached to.  I was thinking about players, but it seems to extend to coaches too.  

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

REFEREES

Kendrick Nicholson #30
KN30.jpg?resize=120,120
Trevor Hanson #14
TH14.jpg?resize=120,120
Games ’22-23 42 40
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 75 / 0 74 / 4
Career Games (Reg/PO) 485 / 0 551 / 26
First NHL Game 1/17/15 10/24/13
Birthplace Milverton, ON Richmond, BC

LINESMEN

Bryan Pancich #94
BP94.jpg?resize=120,120
Joe Mahon #89
hs_JM89.jpg?resize=120,120&ssl=1
Games ’22-23 42 21
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 74 / 21 0 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 854 / 59 21 / 0
First NHL Game 10/3/09 11/1/22
Birthplace Great Falls, MT Calgary, AB

Oh boy, Trevor again.

My brother's golfing with his Dad today...might have to hit the golf course before the game and send some messages through the powers that be.

"Please watch both teams not just one". Multi-task.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m rethinking my belief that JR is Aquilini’s puppet in all situations.  Yes, JR is clearly following the owner’s direction for building the team and what to emphasize in any trade returns.  But the whole Boudreau thing has me seeing JR at loggerheads with Aquilini.  From day one it seems JR would talk publicly about Bruce with a negative tone.  He even went so far as to say he thought Bruce was only signed for one season.  So maybe this is JR fighting against what the owner wants?  The owner wants to keep Bruce until the end of this season, when the contract runs out.  And JR is pushing for change now.  Sounds like JR was pushing for Bruce to be out for quite a while but the owner won’t go for it.  Maybe Bruce actually is a manager who gets his way with our owner, even if it’s just with the coaching situation?  Hopefully, if this is the case, then JR will be able to influence the owner’s concept of how to make us a winner.  

In that case, Aquilini should have told Rutherford that he would be fired on the spot if he didn't conduct himself like a professional.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m rethinking my belief that JR is Aquilini’s puppet in all situations.  Yes, JR is clearly following the owner’s direction for building the team and what to emphasize in any trade returns.  But the whole Boudreau thing has me seeing JR at loggerheads with Aquilini.  From day one it seems JR would talk publicly about Bruce with a negative tone.  He even went so far as to say he thought Bruce was only signed for one season.  So maybe this is JR fighting against what the owner wants?  The owner wants to keep Bruce until the end of this season, when the contract runs out.  And JR is pushing for change now.  Sounds like JR was pushing for Bruce to be out for quite a while but the owner won’t go for it.  Maybe Bruce actually is a manager who gets his way with our owner, even if it’s just with the coaching situation?  Hopefully, if this is the case, then JR will be able to influence the owner’s concept of how to make us a winner.  

For once I’ll agree with you. I’ve thought about this possible struggle. And it kind of puts the FA meddling to bed because it’s clear jr does in fact have full autonomy. It does look like he had to honour FA giving BB the option year. But maybe jr drew the line in the sand. But what I don’t get is how jr got away with the public flogging of BB for so long? There was no intervention to have him tone it down. Which raises the question why did FA hire Boudreau in the first place if he backed up JRs hate of BB? 

I'm still hoping for a loss but make it a close one boys, at least try. Show up. I'm fully expecting us to be lit up, moreso with Kane having come back. 

But hey, we're not going to lose them all and if we've gotta win this would be a game to do it. Guess we'll see. 

10 minutes ago, chon derry said:

For once I’ll agree with you. I’ve thought about this possible struggle. And it kind of puts the FA meddling to bed because it’s clear jr does in fact have full autonomy. It does look like he had to honour FA giving BB the option year. But maybe jr drew the line in the sand. But what I don’t get is how jr got away with the public flogging of BB for so long? There was no intervention to have him tone it down. Which raises the question why did FA hire Boudreau in the first place if he backed up JRs hate of BB? 

I think JR does have full autonomy. Which makes it look even worse on him.

But the very reason he was hired , was because he is a win now , rebuild never GM. He is a corner cutting, pick spending GM. So the failed ownership mandate still lives on through Jim Rutherford.

But then again. Why did Aquilini go with JR to interview Tocchet?

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

In that case, Aquilini should have told Rutherford that he would be fired on the spot if he didn't conduct himself like a professional.

You thinking Aquilini is in concert with JR about the situation with Boudreau?