The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, combover said:

Yeah I’m not sure another Travis green level coach is going to fix the mediocrity. Tocchetts .444 pts% as a coach.

He’s under mediocre lol. 

a 80 year old president hiring all his friends and friends of friends  sounds kinda like a country club to me. 

If turning this club into a place nobody wants to be there doing a great job. 

the only change that’ll fix this team is if Francesco is removed as ceo .Shocking the goal of mediocrity and his ownership seem to be related. 

I think you kinda miss the point. The whole idea is to bring back a winning culture that will do anything to win a championship. This team we have had is OK with winning a game here and there and have no intention of doing the extras to improve their chances.

This new group has been there before and know what it takes. Hopefully the days of being Mr. Nice Guy are over and we can go back to fighting for championships and not for paychecks.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Imagine if Adam Foote can get Myers to play physical, stay at home D. He’s got some solid offensive instincts, but I believe he could simplify his game to more effectively partner with OEL. Myers seemed really rattled by Bruce’s departure… maybe he’ll be someone who rebounds best with the new coaching staff.

At almost 33 years old, this is the version of Tyler Myers we’re probably going to get. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing; still think he’s the least of our problems. 

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I haven't said anything positive about this coaching group because fundamentally I think Management should have waited till summer to replace BB... replace the assistants, not head coach.

I think they should have let the team continue its trajectory and get the draft picks.

Putting that aside...  as far as my assessment of this new staff:

Tocchet has not shown much as a head coach... his years in Arizona were a disaster... although you have to say the team was not good.  On a positive note, yes he was a good player... very solid never quit guy who was force in the locker room... maybe that translates here in building a new culture.  But based on his results... not much shown.

Adam Foote was a tremendous player... a real warrior who knew how to play defense in and out.  Jersey retired in Colorado... So that is good.  Is he a good coach?  He's only had a coaching track record in Junior... which is a far cry from the NHL.  So the jury's out.

Sergei Gonchar was also a very solid D.  He has a better track record in coaching... being an assistant with the Russian National team.  Of course, Russia is not the NHL, and the Russians have underachieved for the last 10 years in International play.

So basically we have three guys with not much of a track record as coaches... who were all excellent players.  So was Gretzky... and we know where that went.

Management has made its decision... now they will have to live with the results.

I think if this coaching group doesn't work out... then Management should take the fall.

What was Mike Sullivan’s record of experience when he went to Pit as HC?  Tocchet’s path to us is very similar.  

Just now, jyu said:

Pretty hard to do when the opponents keep dumping the puck on your side... and the other thing you mention is called icing. Generally, you don't want to ice the puck.

You also don't want to pass it right to Ovechkin in the slot either so something has to give. He needs to be taught something simple cause he can't think and make passes at the same time.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That would be the best outcome. The team did blow the season. Not Bruce. Maybe Yeo, but not Bruce. Rutherturd and chipmunk didn’t improve the defense near enough to make it passable, Bear considered. 

Tocchett should be given the benefit of the doubt. He just arrived. 

Well said. 

I wish JR/PA had done more to fix the D but honestly it’s hard to see how they would have been able to do much with the OEL and Myers contracts. It’s not like they had much by way of trade chips either that could have brought in a top pairing RD without giving up our 1st round pick. 

they did excellent in landing kuzmenko, and bear. Mikheyev was a great get too. 3 great assets that we basically have no pieces up for. They also got Filip Johansson for free, and he’s playing top pair minutes in the SHL right now, as a RD. 

they definitely overloaded on offensive firepower, and if the Horvat trade can bring us back a top-4 D and a top prospect, we will be a much better team. 

This management team definitely botched the Boudreau situation but they have very competently played the hand they were dealt, so far. 

My guess is Garland and Boeser are gone, and Myers will be dealt once he’s been paid his bonus. 

Then some very bold trades will begin 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

Just now, Alflives said:

What was Mike Sullivan’s record of experience when he went to Pit as HC?  Tocchet’s path to us is very similar.  

Sullivan had an exceptional record coaching the Bruins AHL team.

Then his first year with the big club he had a good winning record... but was eliminated in the playoffs.

Next year he had a losing record... and was fired.

But was that his fault?  Or were the Bruins in transition to the team which won the Cup vs the Canucks?  And therefore working out the bugs?

His overall record was much better than Tocchet.

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

At almost 33 years old, this is the version of Tyler Myers we’re probably going to get. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing; still think he’s the least of our problems. 

Last years version of Tyler Myers seems possible, but I take your point. And agree, especially with one year left on his deal, not a huge problem

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Sullivan had an exceptional record coaching the Bruins AHL team.

Then his first year with the big club he had a good winning record... but was eliminated in the playoffs.

Next year he had a losing record... and was fired.

But was that his fault?  Or were the Bruins in transition to the team which won the Cup vs the Canucks?  And therefore working out the bugs?

His overall record was much better than Tocchet.

Sullivan was Tort’s goto assistant when getting the Cup.  Tocchet was Sullivan's go to assistant when getting the Cup.  Now Foot will be recorded in history as Tocchet’s go to assistant getting us the Cup.  Go get us a Cup boys! :frantic:

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Foote is the only silver lining to this.  Hope tochett proves us all wrong.  

Still think this mess started by letting scott walker go.  The team d looked pretty solid in last half of last yr.

He wasn’t let go, he just didn’t want to return because being away was difficult on his family life 

regardless I agree with your sentiment.

But he also added his moving to the West Coast would put great pressure on his family. He and wife Julie have a son who is set to turn 20 and a daughter in Grade 12.

“My poor family — lucky I have a great wife that can roll with the punches and keep the family together,” he told Global.

Edited by RWJC
  • There it is 1

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

At least the organization knows that the fans are pissed off. How they supported Bruce for his final two games was a clear signal of where the fanbase is at, and it’s not behind ownership or management. 

This remaining season and especially the offseason will be under a lot of scrutiny. The likes of which this organization has probably never seen. 

I had a hard time watching the Tocchet introduction presser.  I only got 13 mins into it but my impression was that there isn't a lot of pressure on Tocchet for the remainder of the season.  It's more about testing and evaluation.  They likely move Horvat and others and open up some cap.  JR seems determined to do that even if it takes buyouts (based on his previous interview).  

At this point, they are so far back that it doesn't matter.  I want them to finish poorly tbh.  The fans are pissed off and the media really put it to management but everybody knows that something serious has to get done between now and September.  Hell by free agency.

Arizona won. 4 points back of the Nux now.

IF the team was to lose to Chicago they would be 3 points back

And Columbus as well then 5 points

DFL is a real possibility or at least 2nd last

Tocchet was the coach when Tampa tanked for Stamkos

Edited by ToTellTheTruth
  • There it is 1