The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

No self respecting Vancouverite leaves town for Alberta. That is a cop-out its like waiving the white flag that you couldn't make it here in Van. Not successful enough, didn't work hard enough not savvy enough to find a way to stay. If you can make it in Vancouver you can make it anywhere anyone who leaves will always been seen as a failure to many of us.

So I take it from your comment that you've lived and worked in both places? We all know that it would be most ignorant and arrogant to make such a judgement without having "walked a mile" in both pairs of shoes. I have done so for many years, and I find your statement to actually be the opposite. Alberta is for the tough and hard-working. Sure, we have a lot of disposable income here (most people here have many toys to play with when they're done work)...but make no mistake about it, we earned every penny. Not sure what the average Vancouverite would think about working 15 / 6 (like a lot of Albertans do), let alone being told while you're working the last few days of your 15 on that you have to stay on-site or move with the crew for another 15 or so. Yes, it is hard on families BUT...they are some of the toughest, closely bonded families you'll ever meet, and they are ready to face almost any challenge because of the experience of the adversity they face at times. It's not all work though, we play hard too. ATV's, dirtbiking and boating in the summers / sledding and skiing through the winters. It's not for everyone, you have to be tough to make it in Alberta...but we sure do love to vacation in Vancouver where we can take it easy for a while.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

There were other options out there - Andrew Brunette not far off Jack Adams worthiness, Trotz who won't come here, Tippett if he wants the job and heck AV even...

All are solid defensive coaches, I hope they did their diligence. Sounds like Tocchet is a player's coach which would be nice for this broken disheartened team.

McNab, on the Avs broadcast the other day, was commenting on Tocchet.  Not a systems oriented coach at all - relies entirely on his assistants for that.  But is a "accountability" coach to the extreme.  Don't follow, or can't execute the plan? Benched.  Continued non compliance, then press box followed by the minors (where possible)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I agree. We had only been married a few months when we made the move and we knew a couple of people in Edm so that’s all the choice was really based on. Both cities have lots to offer with nice areas and green spaces around the river valleys but Calgary being so close to the mountains is very appealing…

Occasional chinook in Calgary breaks up the winter a bit. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I like Tocchet already. Too many liberal softies around here.

I like Boudreau but it's not Tocchets fault he's walking into a hornets nest. People are looking for any reason not to like him, it's pathetic.

What does politics have to do with backing a coach?!?  Keep that stuff to the off topic white noise forums. 

• There it is 1

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Sad to see Boudreau go through this twice after seeing what Neilson went through.

Owner hasn't yet asked Bruce to return behind the bench wearing a paper bag over his head when Tocchet experiment blows up.  That and the sex scandal surrounding Maple Laffs Garden back then.

Hoping the mid season coaching change will help assess our current talent heading into the TDL, and off-season. No more excuses of having a ‘lame duck’ coach. Imagine taking direction from a boss you know is being fired. Even if you like them, you know you have no future with them, so you stop investing in the relationship.

I’m expecting a change in playing style, like when Tortz came in, and the team started blocking a ton of shots. The players that don’t buy in will likely be traded / bought out.

• There it is 2

I feel like Tocchets obligation to give the 4 weeks notice to tnt is what made the situation such an absolute disaster. The decision to make this move was obviously made long ago and with so many people involved, of course it was leaked. Part of the problem is that the media hears parts of what's going on and they run with it making things worse for everyone involved. 

I like Bruce as much as other Canuck fans but it was clear that his system wasn't working. He was given a chance this year to try and prove that last year wasn't a fluke. That didn't work out and he unfortunately needed to go. I know there are several upgrades needed with the roster but it's also clear that this coaching staff wasn't helping this group play to their capabilities. Demko struggling and eventually getting hurt really exposed a lot of issues. While I would've liked to see what Bruce could do with a reconstructed roster, he was still part of the country club atmosphere that exists in the locker room. 

Personally, I'd have waited til the end of the season but I also understand why they made the move now. Bringing in Tocchet now gives him a few months to try and break down each players game and figure out what they have at each position going into next year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Hoping the mid season coaching change will help assess our current talent heading into the TDL, and off-season. No more excuses of having a ‘lame duck’ coach. Imagine taking direction from a boss you know is being fired. Even if you like them, you know you have no future with them, so you stop investing in the relationship.

I’m expecting a change in playing style, like when Tortz came in, and the team started blocking a ton of shots. The players that don’t buy in will likely be traded / bought out.

That’s the hope.  Management holding steady last offseason was maddening.  With their guy at the helm, I hope they can make some necessary moves.  

I’ve mostly liked their pro scouting so far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

What does politics have to do with backing a coach?!?  Keep that stuff to the off topic white noise forums. 

Tocchet was one of the reasons people gave why OELs play slumped in Arizona.  It would be like rehiring Keenan to be the coach if Trevor Linden was still an active player.

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

My initial view of him is he’s our Mike Keenan of our generation 

going to be a cross of Keenan and Tortz (without his successful track record)

but hope I’m wrong. Hope he gets through to the team and sets up a strong culture, system that brings a winning brand of hockey to Vancouver. Doesn’t that sound nice :unsure:

I hope he realizes that he has 2 1/2 years. That right now his job is to tank, help move out as many veterans as he can for picks or good young players. He can work with the new d guys and abby guys on grit. I don't think he's the right coach for bedard but maybe he can add the grit needed.

I hold little hope, jr is a terrible president. Hard to feel any joy except with us seriously losing nearly every remaining game. I have feasted on vengeance before...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Nice one. 

Foote and Gonchar would instantly make us a cup contender.

Gonchar could help develop Hughes game quite a bit.

I don't know about Tocchet but I do like Gonchar hiring and look forward to seeing what he can do.

Foote and Gonchar could be put into our lineup and be top 4 D. Maybe that’s what this whole thing is about. Absolutely cagey

• There it is 1

43 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

No self respecting Vancouverite leaves town for Alberta. That is a cop-out its like waiving the white flag that you couldn't make it here in Van. Not successful enough, didn't work hard enough not savvy enough to find a way to stay. If you can make it in Vancouver you can make it anywhere anyone who leaves will always been seen as a failure to many of us.

People leave van all the time. It’s usually because of stuck up snobby Vancouverites. Heck we got one right here.

great place to visit. But damn never want to live there.  

• Like 3
  • There it is 1