The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And what plan did you hear them talk about?

Pretty sure it didn’t involve trading 26 year old PPG players…

27 in 2 weeks. The entire hockey world has heard them say 25 and under and since then we have only signed 3 wingers who are all over 25 lol.

I already tried to paint myself as PRO kuz anyways so this is a good deal for us but now there isn't a chance we get our of boeser or Garland without paying big time to do so

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So what's the plan? 

For the team to improve... 

Clearly Brock and Myers has to go

Bo has to go for cap / contract demand reasons

OEL needs to go but contract is impossible to move. 

Garland is a maybe

Could they potentially use the assets from

Boeser (2nd round) 

Bo (prospect, 1st and maybe a 2nd)

Schenn (2nd round) 

To get rid of OEL (a 2nd and cap retained) 

Ride out 1 more year of Myers (trade at next year's deadline) or retain now and trade him

So outgoing would be. 

Bo, Boeser, OEL + 2nd round pick, Myers Schenn

Incoming

Prospect + 1st (from Horvat trade) + 2nd

2nd rounder (Boeser) 

2nd rounder (Schenn) 

Basically we got rid of 3 of our top 4 D men.... 

How do you fill this? 

We would need an RD from the Horvat trade and then we would have 2 firsts and 3nds (including our own picks) to draft a centre and some d men. 

Pearson goes on LTIR next year

Kuz Petey Mikheyev 

Garland Miller Podkolzin

Hogz Joshua Pederson 

Studnicka Lazar Lockwood 

Hughes (RD from Horvat trade) 

Dermott Bear 

Burroughs Rathbone 

Demko

Ouch

This looks terrible

We would need Klim, Karlsson, Lekkermaki to pan out

Rathbone to make the jump 

And make sure we draft a stud D or 2 with one of our 2 firsts and 3 2nds...

Top 4 D don't grow on trees... 

You are not getting out of the OEL contract for a 2nd. It cost us a 2nd (all be it a 2024) to get out of Dickinson @ 2.6m. I don't even think a late 1st would get it done. Best move here is to get the D fixed to the point that OEL is effective. Earn the 7.2m salary...no...but effective in a 3rd pairing or such.

Myers is kind of the same (as you highlighted). We are not a good team; best to just ride him out in 2024.

Boeser will not garner us anything UNLESS we retain salary which contradicts why we want to get rid of him. Much like OEL, we would need to attach capital to jettison him. Let's use Dickinson as the gauge again; it would cost us more than the 2nd we gave up to get rid of him. If we can trade him for futures I'd be over the moon.

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I cant see a world where you get a 2nd for Boeser unless we retain like 3m. Are we really at that point? Is this what management calls a "smart hockey move" not allowing assets to leave without any compensation but having an elephant in the agreement?

As stated last spring; Priorities: 1) Create cap....spent ~27m on wingers 2) Rebuild Defense....acquire 7/8th level guys and one 5/6

#Failure

I have no idea the value of Boeser… his career numbers are still very good.  Rebuilding teams with the cap space may be willing to make a 2 year gamble on him… maybe just to try and flip him as a rental with retention in 2 seasons when the cap jumps.  

But who knows - I don’t really care about the 2nd I just read a rumour he had some value and interest out there.  Just move him regardless the return. 

Regarding the team, I think they totally fumbled last offseason but they can make up for it in the next 6 months.

Time will tell!

• Cheers 3

Was thinking something was close after listening to Millstein's interview yesterday. It was really upbeat and positive in Kuz returning. 

Glad this happened. Fair value. This is his adaptation/learning year and he's been great. There's still room for him to get better. 

Now gotta say goodbye to Brock. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Devron said:

7 million I saw last time lol 

And to be honest, think most of us, thought the same...

Brilliant deal... If they can't get rid of Brock, at least his contract runs out, when Kuz is getting renewed, in case he continues playing like this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am assuming the NTC does not kick in until summer. With price certainty on 2 years does that increase his trade value? 

They aren’t planning to trade him but I’d say no anyways because some teams that may have only had cap room for him this year would no longer be in on him. 

There was no way this regime would let a prized player that they signed on a deal walk. Decent bridge contract for a top 6 player (Boeser/Garland replacement). 

Forward lines for next year won't look much different...

Kuzmenko - Petey - Mikheyev

Miller - _____ - _____

Hoglander - Studnicka - Podkolzin

Joshua - Lazar - Lockwood

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Patrik Allvin:

"Andrei is a player we worked extremely hard to recruit last summer. He has been an excellent fit for our forward group this season, transitioning very well to the North American style of play. His passion and enthusiasm for the game has made a positive impact in the dressing room among his teammates and we are excited to watch him continue his career with the Vancouver Canucks."

It was a win win scenario for us. I really want to give Aidan McDonough a shot with kuz and EP. Size and GREAT clutch finishing ability. That should convince him to sign for sure lol

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Patrik Allvin:

"Andrei is a player we worked extremely hard to recruit last summer. He has been an excellent fit for our forward group this season, transitioning very well to the North American style of play. His passion and enthusiasm for the game has made a positive impact in the dressing room among his teammates and we are excited to watch him continue his career with the Vancouver Canucks."

At least this management showed they were able to compete successfully for a coveted foreign talent and then sign him.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yes, Rick. They invited Bo’s agent to the city but then left him hanging once they signed Kuz. :picard:

Media just loves to connect dots that aren’t there. They’ve been talking about this extension for weeks. This didn’t just come

up suddenly.

Rick really has gone downhill. Trying too hard to be an insider. He needs to just stick to facts.

He was far better on CKWX. Once he went to Sportsnet I think his ego got the best of him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Was thinking something was close after listening to Millstein's interview yesterday. It was really upbeat and positive in Kuz returning. 

Glad this happened. Fair value. This is his adaptation/learning year and he's been great. There's still room for him to get better. 

Now gotta say goodbye to Brock. 

Totally agree. It is just to bad we couldn't say goodbye to Boeser too with his QO expiring after this season. Kuz is the better Boeser and 1.15m cheaper

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

You are not getting out of the OEL contract for a 2nd. It cost us a 2nd (all be it a 2024) to get out of Dickinson @ 2.6m. I don't even think a late 1st would get it done. Best move here is to get the D fixed to the point that OEL is effective. Earn the 7.2m salary...no...but effective in a 3rd pairing or such.

Myers is kind of the same (as you highlighted). We are not a good team; best to just ride him out in 2024.

Boeser will not garner us anything UNLESS we retain salary which contradicts why we want to get rid of him. Much like OEL, we would need to attach capital to jettison him. Let's use Dickinson as the gauge again; it would cost us more than the 2nd we gave up to get rid of him. If we can trade him for futures I'd be over the moon.

You can only move bums on bad contracts if your a great team. It masks all the players flaws. See TB trading RM to Nashville for free. 6x4 for a near mid 30s bad defenders lol. It's possible to move our bums but not in our current situation