The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

Right side D are looking weak. Best top end options are Severson and Dumba. There are some 5/6 guys with size that could be considered though.

Honestly, why even bother for making that trade now. With all that's happened and PA's Appetit to spend like a drunk sailor, we simply need to focus getting rid of contracts and freeing up $$. Trade Boeser, try to trade Pearson, try to trade Garland, and ride our Myers. THEN, if opportunity presents itself, acquire that RHD we needed last year. Our focus in the rest of 2023 and 2023/2024 should be to gain prospects (draft and trade) and free up cap. This group simply sucks.

Do I have faith inn the FO to get it done...nope. More magic beans to come

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Never said he would.

He said if Bo was willing to sign for 6.5x8. 

Obviously the deal would have been done if that was possible.

No cheap " gentleman " deals over the next couple of years until the cap jumps and bigger numbers can be committed? 

Out of nowhere Bo signs for 3 years x 6.75m lol

The Canucks can still trade Kuzmenko if they want, in a year or whatever. Or they can re-sign him if he's scoring 30+ goals a season. 

I like the timing of this signing as well. It puts pressure on the Horvat camp to make a decision. Kuzmenko left money on the table IMO. The Canucks may be able to re-sign Bo, if he accepts $7, for example.

Heard that tomorrow could be Bo's last game at home as a Canuck. 

8 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We need to round out our top 9 with tanner jeannot. If Nashville remains in no man's land ( he's also a RFA this year ) and continues to not produce much... We much try to convince polie to give him up. Rick would LOVE him I'd bet... But would they give him up? 

depends on who's going to Nashville. Is it Bo? Bo without an extension or Bo with an extension to remain a Predator for the next 8 years. 

I don't understand this team anymore. Any decision they make is odd. They want to compete, but they're nowhere near good enough to do that. Rutherford is so allergic to draft picks, it's like Benning's back. It really feels like this team and organization is in no-man's land. 

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks can still trade Kuzmenko if they want, in a year or whatever. Or they can re-sign him if he's scoring 30+ goals a season. 

I like the timing of this signing as well. It puts pressure on the Horvat camp to make a decision. Kuzmenko left money on the table IMO. The Canucks may be able to re-sign Bo, if he accepts $7, for example.

Heard that tomorrow could be Bo's last game at home as a Canuck. 

long time between the next game, I'm guessing that's the window that he'll either sign or be traded. My gut tells me the latter. I think Bo's too proud to cave in. But if he's going to lead by example, you already have Miller who left money (apparently) on the table, and now Kuzmenko. What's it going to take Bo? You going to lead by example or pursue the money? If he's wanting the money, I'm not blaming him one bit, but hey, it's not going to be in blue, green and white colours. 

Here's a dangerous thought, would the canucks be brazen enough to trade Horvat for a future top pairing RD, trade our number 1 (lottery protected top 3) for a bonafide RD like Dobson, get rid of Boeser even if we retain and play OEL and Myers on the bottom pairing making 13m+?

That would fix the D in a hurry. Basically robbing Peter to pay Paul. Would our offense / forward group not be good enough? 

It could also potentially help with Petterson negotiations. He is now the defacto number 1 line. If he sinks, maybe he isn't worth 9.5m+. Maybe we convince him that he still needed to be sheltered and he should take 8m. 

what if we further mortgage the future (draft picks) and try to fix the D with young star players now? 

Unpopular most likely but this would be a bold move that could be a home run

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You're right no retention Brock for Seth Jones.

Man, imagine if we did that trade in August! We could have had a D that resembled functional. Then, made the Carolina trade for the 5th with no retention.

Hughes-Jones

OEL-Bear

Dermott/Burroughs/Rathnbone-Myers/Schenn

Hummmmmmm

And, to be clear, I am actually being serious not just trying to sarcastic!

2 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

People think they can do a better job managing the cap or making arm chair trades is laughable. Canucks managment gets paid 7 figures a year to make these decisions, it's crazy to think a fan on a forum can offer a more informed, a better negotiated executed trade than an elite front office team of hockey experts. It's comical to keep thinking this Canucks are doing what any other GM is doing on other teams lets stop bashing the managment for how they choose to make their valuations or trade decisions. No matter what you think you know they know a lot more.

its not that we think we can do better than them, its that we think any other professional can do better than them...

there may be a few lost souls who think they could do a better job... I would point out who they were, but thats a rat move.

keep repeating your message and they will surely correct you given enough time.

funnily enough though i dont think its the regular armchair posters who are the self proclaimed enlightened ones... they just want a good conversation and hope to find people with like minds to discuss potential trades

• Vintage 1

I can’t even inform an opinion on this without the context of what else happens in the offseason.

In complete isolation and excluding any potential outside context this is a pretty good deal.  Lower cap hit than what he is producing, but fair for his limited resume and just not knowing how much he is driving the play vs. just getting a Petey bump.   The player gets a chance to become a UFA and cash in more while still fairly young at a time what there is a ton more money available system wide in the league.  We are easily going to have an $8-10 million cap ceiling increase by the time this deal expires (barring Covid23 happening).

IN context, I definitely like it a lot less.  If we have largely the same roster next season but are spending more cap hit for just Kuzmenko and Miller than we were this year on Kuzmenko, Miller, AND Horvat… then it is a complete fail as we should have just gotten a return for the asset in Kuzmenko. We are terrible this year, so what makes anyone think we will be a playoff team next year by removing Horvat and giving more than his cap money to Miller and Kuzmenko raises?  Why allocate more money to wingers when that is the only strength of the organization both on the roster and in the pipeline.

I like the additions of Mikheyev and Kuzmenko a lot just as hockey players and what they bring.  I am less sure about the opportunity cost of spending money on that position vs. Overhauling the defence.  For the same money, the team would have been a lot better with Marino than Mikheyev this year.  What D might shake loose in a tight cap offseason that could make us better in the next two years than Kuzmenko?

In a world where we can get a great return for Horvat, and somehow extricate ourselves from the cap hits of Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Myers, Poolman, Stillman and even Miller, without giving up assets or buying them out (which will hurt us exactly when we have to re-sign Petterson)… then this is an excellent deal for Kuzmenko.

They have to prove they can make those moves before I can applaud this one though.  Just in isolation, it seems a continuation of the Benning (lack of) strategy of falling in love with specific players and not considering overall team construction or timing for when we might have a competitive window.

Edited by Provost
  • There it is 3