The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rangers’ Pride Night goes sideways and Chicago Blackhawks refuse to wear pride jerseys

Rate this topic

Slegr

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The behaviour we allow will become accepted as the norm. Of course in our society individuals have the right to express themselves or refuse to participate in others’ expression, within the law.  But we are already seeing the negative impacts of this one player’s Actions. Other bigots are feeling empowered (now) to express their hatred of other people. The NHL has a mess on their hands. It’s going to be difficult to clean it up now.  

The irony is palpable.

• RoughGame 4

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

You do realize that being gay isn't a "movement" right?  It is literally just acknowledging that these people exist and shouldn't be discriminated against.  The idea that we have to excuse any f**ked up opinions as valid is just totally nonsense.

If someone's opinions were that they hate minorities, should be allowed to own slaves, beat their wives, and have sex with children... no decent person says "oh well, you know everyone has a right to their opinion".

Basically. If the LGBTQ+ weren't a demographic that's been historically marginalized pride, the push for legal rights and so on, or pushback against discrimination and marginalization may not exist, but they are in much of the world. All one has to do is pay attention to the ongoing legislative battles going on in the US at most levels of politics. This applies to other groups too, like racial minorities and women. It's why the civil rights movement took place in the US, it's where the feminist movement stems from. Hell, homosexuality was classified as a mental disorder in the DSM for decades, distress over one's orientation wasn't completely removed from the DSM until the DSM5 came out in 2013.

Not that it's just the US though, one could dig into the history of Canada's treatment of LGBTQ servicemen and servicewomen for example. Or the rights of Canadian women, or the rights of Canada's Indigenous Peoples'. If discrimination weren't present there wouldn't be a need for pushback. But sometimes pushback is necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Basically. If the LGBTQ+ weren't a demographic that's been historically marginalized pride, the push for legal rights and so on, or pushback against discrimination and marginalization may not exist, but they are in much of the world. All one has to do is pay attention to the ongoing legislative battles going on in the US at most levels of politics. This applies to other groups too, like racial minorities and women. It's why the civil rights movement took place in the US, it's where the feminist movement stems from. Hell, homosexuality was classified as a mental disorder in the DSM for decades, distress over one's orientation wasn't completely removed from the DSM until the DSM5 came out in 2013.

Not that it's just the US though, one could dig into the history of Canada's treatment of LGBTQ servicemen and servicewomen for example. Or the rights of Canadian women, or the rights of Canada's Indigenous Peoples'. If discrimination weren't present there wouldn't be a need for pushback. But sometimes pushback is necessary

If pushback didn't happen my bloodline may still subject to residential schools and my beloved wife and I would have been legally unable to be married in the US, or worst yet she may have been somebody's slave.

Though the LGTBQ struggle doesn't hit as close to home for me, outside some family and friends who I support in full, the struggle of marginalized people will always be worth pushing back on in my eyes.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

Get woke garbage out of our culture

What does this mean, exactly? Are you suggesting that educating people to be aware of bigotry and hatred and that it has no place here is somehow wrong? Not too sure what “woke” implies.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 2

On 1/29/2023 at 11:29 AM, -DLC- said:

Sounds like maybe a personal experience you had 25 years or more ago may be negatively impacting your view today.  

People may have been hostile back then because they had to fight just to be part of society. My two neighbours (friends..RIP Joan and Tam) were subjected to all kinds of hatred and isolation. Stigmatized. Even by their own families. 

They endured a lot of ugliness and, yes, some groups may have reacted based on that. Lashed back out in a defensive manner. As you appear to possibly be doing now. 

Be part of the solution, not the problem.

It so sad when their family turns on them.  That why they find their own family.  Chosen family.

Rina Sawayama  She is known in the gay community.

She plays an assassin  in the new John Wick 4 movie coming out next month.  I wonder who is she?  
I searched in goggle and found out she can also sing - what an voice.  The next Lady Gaga but more harder rock. 
 Brit Awards winner-Harry Styles gave her and other female singers a shout out when all the nominees were male.
Elton John liked her first album so much that he called her to tell her.  She asked him to sing together in one of her songs.

Rina Sawayama, Elton John - Chosen Family (Performance Lyric Video)
The Children Choir is much better.  They also cover a lot of top hits.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Wow.

Way to not include the rest of the quote.

There's always someone getting over offended over a nothing burger.

It creates more of a divide if anything. Nobody cares if you're gay, I've worked or gone to school or met with many homosexuals and they are just human beings. Most of them actually that I've met Hate the huge media push lately.

And telling elementary school kids that they can change their gender and confusing young pubescent kids. It's messed up. And i know this is true cause I have kids in grade school.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2

9 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Way to not include the rest of the quote.

There's always someone getting over offended over a nothing burger.

It creates more of a divide if anything. Nobody cares if you're gay, I've worked or gone to school or met with many homosexuals and they are just human beings. Most of them actually that I've met Hate the huge media push lately.

And telling elementary school kids that they can change their gender and confusing young pubescent kids. It's messed up. And i know this is true cause I have kids in grade school.

Kids generally start to have a feeling about themselves/their bodies earlier on than many of us adults give them credit for. Often they struggle and have confusion and even shame created by the stigma out there and so normalizing this stuff doesn't mess them up, it helps them by giving them some basic information that they can work with. Kids are resilient and need facts to help them navigate the world without confusion. Sheltering them does them a great disservice...answering questions along the way that they, themselves, may have but not feel comfortable asking is beneficial. Not every kid knows how to ask tough questions...so making things clear and matter of fact really is important. It opens up the floor for discussion. Not every kid lives in a household where they're given the opportunity to express stuff like this. So it's important there's a platform out there, even if some people are uncomfortable with it. That's their deal to figure out.

If this is a nothing burger why bother? You're sort of part of the "people are always offended" problem not the solution here.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 2