The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

Silovs is having a pretty good early showing.

I wonder if that will have any bearing on whether or not management is willing to move Demko. Knowing you potentially gotta guy in the system. 

He obviously won't be ready right away but may be a better fit down the line when we are better equipped to compete.  

And if you're able to get a solid return for Demko it may help better this team then as well. 

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wonder if that will have any bearing on whether or not management is willing to move Demko. Knowing you potentially gotta guy in the system. 

He obviously won't be ready right away but may be a better fit down the line when we are better equipped to compete.  

And if you're able to get a solid return for Demko it may help better this team then as well. 

Yeah... If the Kings rumours are true, Peterson, Grans + if we're truly building for a couple years...

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

It's supposed to be.  But the minute we trade Demko, it becomes an unavoidable rebuild.

Disagree.  Rebuild= moving Pettersson IMO. Everyone else... minus maybe Hughes, is just moving pieces around/retool.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah... If the Kings rumours are true, Peterson, Grans + if we're truly building for a couple years...

We could do worse than Peterson and Silovs, Peterson would be fine as a stopgap if it's gonna be a building process going forward 

Peterson will be 29 in October and only has two seasons left on his deal at 5M per, not a long term commitment, could potentially bounce back

Taking Peterson back to facilitate a Demko move would likely up the return 

• There it is 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

We could do worse than Peterson and Silovs, Peterson would be fine as a stopgap if it's gonna be a building process going forward 

Peterson will be 29 in October and only has two seasons left on his deal at 5M per, not a long term commitment, could potentially bounce back

Taking Peterson back to facilitate a Demko move would likely up the return 

This was the hypothetical trade from ESPN/Yardbreaker from a couple days ago. 

Kings get: G Thatcher Demko, F Anthony Beauvillier, D Luke Schenn, 2023 third-round pick

Canucks get: 2023 first-round pick (unconditional), 2023 third-round pick, F Alex Iafallo, F Alex Turcotte, D Jordan Spence, G Cal Petersen

What you guys think? I am iffy about it. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Kings get: G Thatcher Demko, F Anthony Beauvillier, D Luke Schenn, 2023 third-round pick

Canucks get: 2023 first-round pick (unconditional), 2023 third-round pick, F Alex Iafallo, F Alex Turcotte, D Jordan Spence, G Cal Petersen

Yeah too many (and too middling) pieces.  You want Demko, it's got to hurt a bit. Grans +

• Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah too many (and too middling) pieces.  You want Demko, it's got to hurt a bit. Grans +

Grans 1st and Petersen?

Demko value lower atm but taking Petersen as a contract back requires a price. Cap is premium. They don't even lose anything on their roster here either. 

IDK if they'd do a 1st though. Demko value probably lower than Horvat's given the circumstances. Might ask for Schenn and I'd do that if it meant the 1st. 

All depends on what the Kings are willing to give up. 

2-3 first round picks this draft and and added RD prospect. Probably can draft a couple more RD this draft and boom future looks brighter at RD. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Grans 1st and Petersen?

Demko value lower atm but taking Petersen as a contract back requires a price. Cap is premium. They don't even lose anything on their roster here either. 

IDK if they'd do a 1st though. Demko value probably lower than Horvat's given the circumstances. Might ask for Schenn and I'd do that if it meant the 1st. 

All depends on what the Kings are willing to give up. 

2-3 first round picks this draft and and added RD prospect. Probably can draft a couple more RD this draft and boom future looks brighter at RD. 

Something around there, yup.

59 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Like aGENT said, it'd need to be better quality pieces 

• Vintage 2

if LA wants Demko, pony up!

cali kid, bit of a homecoming

The kings have a decent D core as of now with a few prospects not on the roster.

canucks need rhd and prospects. 

Kings pick will be a low 1st

peterson is strictly a cap dump

dont want Iafallo and seriously doubt la moves him.

they want Demko? we want Brandt Clarke, simple.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We also had a guy in the system that we thought was a good backup after one decent showing. His name is Martin. And he showed us that he was ass. If we trade Demko and our plan is Silovs, I am scared. No offense to Silovs, I just would rather have more than one plan in net other than a soon-to-be 22 year old 6th rounder. You don't move Demko on the hope Silovs is much more than we expected. Unless you're truly embracing a rebuild and not a retool.

14 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Demko is a starter and at a decent AAV correct, I think people see he took off for one season as a starter and that was his coming out party so to speak then got injured then this season injured again.

There is a segment of the goaltending community that think Demko will really struggle to try and physically regain his form prior to his injury last season. Don't know how true that is but it may or may not be a valid concern.

The Canucks building around Petey and Hughes it would only seem logical to add Demko to that core moving forward. He has shown before injuries and surgery that he could bail his team out night in and night out.

But if there has been a slight shift in focus since new management has come on board and now started to implement changes they have wanted to now being a year in, Demko I am sure is being listened on at the very least. There are a few teams like Los Angeles and Buffalo for example that make sense and have plenty of good young players and draft capital that could peak the Canucks interest. Why pursue moving Demko ? well he may not be capable of reaching prior ability and performance and the team believes Silovs is their next starter and also feels through Ian Clark that he has immense potential as a very good starter if developed the way they feel he can be.

Demko is not old by any stretch but Silovs could fit very well into a timeline to be starter on this club on its next upswing, which could also be the case after a couple seasons pushing Demko too. Can't hurt to explore moving him, there are UFA stop gaps available if any current options are not here moving forward.

If Demko is healthy, he's a great goalie. IF he's healthy. 

I think Silovs being a starter next season is rushing things. He's 21 yo, that is super young for a goaltender. I would give him another season as the man between the pipes in Abbotsford before he backs up Demko. So I say, 2 years before he even gets a sniff at the starting job, assuming he can take it away from Demko. In 2 years, I'd be down to trading him for a pretty quality package. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

We also had a guy in the system that we thought was a good backup after one decent showing. His name is Martin. And he showed us that he was ass. If we trade Demko and our plan is Silovs, I am scared. No offense to Silovs, I just would rather have more than one plan in net other than a soon-to-be 22 year old 6th rounder. You don't move Demko on the hope Silovs is much more than we expected. Unless you're truly embracing a rebuild and not a retool.

Yeah throwing Silovs into a starter roll with our weak D, and at his young age could seriously damage his development. Fortunately there’s a lot of veteran goalies set to become free agents this summer (both of Carolina’s goaltenders for instance; Andersen and Raanta) that would could target as our starter. 

Silovs has looked solid and I think he could serve well as a backup behind a vet. 

I know hindsight is 20/20 but I can honestly say that I was never sold on Martin. Many times in the past not very strong goaltenders have put together solid stretches and appeared better than they actually were. And watching Martin play, I always felt that was the case with him. He looks small in the net, and just doesn’t have that same pro movement and stature that the goalies like Markstrom, Demko, and even Silovs has. To me, when I watch Silovs, he looks like a pro. So many aspects of his game just scream quality. I think that if developed correctly, he could have a very good career. 

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Management should be cautious though we’ve seen plenty of young goalies come in, start hot then they’re out of the league in 3 years (I’m not saying that’s going to happen with Silovs) this might be a trade to make next year, especially is Silovs finishes this year strong and has a great playoff in Abby and continues to show well next year. I think Silovs is going to be a very good goalie in this league, he’s only 21, which is very young for an nhl goalie. That being said if an offer comes in that absolutely blows everyone away then you have to pull the trigger 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Yeah throwing Silovs into a starter roll with our weak D, and at his young age could seriously damage his development. Fortunately there’s a lot of veteran goalies set to become free agents this summer (both of Carolina’s goaltenders for instance; Andersen and Raanta) that would could target as our starter. 

Silovs has looked solid and I think he could serve well as a backup behind a vet. 

I know hindsight is 20/20 but I can honestly say that I was never sold on Martin. Many times in the past not very strong goaltenders have put together solid stretches and appeared better than they actually were. And watching Martin play, I always felt that was the case with him. He looks small in the net, and just doesn’t have that same pro movement and stature that the goalies like Markstrom, Demko, and even Silovs has. To me, when I watch Silovs, he looks like a pro. So many aspects of his game just scream quality. I think that if developed correctly, he could have a very good career. 

Silovs needs another year as the starter in Abby before making the jump to the NHL.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Demko for Peterson, Turcotte and Grans feels about right.

Don't want Turcotte...

Small C with concussion past. Like Grans but I'd also like to get Durzi 

Peterson (2 years left at 5 million is a big cap dump)

Demko + Rathbone for Durzi, Cal Peterson (cap dump), Grans, LA's 2023 2nd,  LA's 2024 second

Breakdown 

Demko for Durzi, LA 2023 second 

Rathbone for Peterson(cap dump). Then Grans and the 2024 second is for us taking on 2 years at 5 million in dead money.

LA gets a legit #1 starter in his prime.. They also need more left D than right hence why Rathbone is included here. He has some value and I believe still can make it. We get two young right shot D to bolster our blue line. In addition we add two second round picks to continue to stockpile draft capital. 

It seems at first glance LA is giving up a lot here and we are giving up nothing. But Peterson contract is terrible and the cost to move bad money is expensive. ( We gave up a second to move Dickinson who was only 2.65 million and we had to take back Stillman)

This is a tough deal to pull off with Demko being injury prone but you can't discredit what he does when in net. 

• Like 1