The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

27 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Brilliant response from Horvat.

That's the story buried, and we can all go back to our normal life, and discuss how to get rid of OEL or should Boeser stay...

To be honest if nothing else, it was a refreshing change of topics. 

Enjoy N.Y. Horvat.... here end the story. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Is the folks from Canucks Army deaf or what? Just change what was said, to support Horvat is pathetic.

Nobody here would have issue about Bo, or Bo having issues with the management, his old team or whatever....

It was the remark towards the fans, that was poorly chosen...

Its almost as if the fans are being called out, for not liking to be belittled...what a shocker this would be the reaction... 

Stop sucking Horvats d... and leave it.... he was in the wrong on this one.

Anyway its water under the bridge.... who cares...

If the Canucks were a consistent cup contender throughout Bo's tenure and despite this the arena was half full and still a mausoleum, his comments would be completely justified. But he gave the fans nothing to cheer for and then turns around and insults the fans. 

Honestly I think the biggest reason his comment blew up was because it was coming from Bo of all people. If Miller had been traded and said it, there would be some ruffled feathers but it wouldn't be this big of a stink. If it was Hamonic or Eriksson or Gaudette or whoever, there would be some upset people but it would get forgotten pretty quickly.

I think its because it came from Bo of all people. Good ol' whitebread, milquetoast Bo Horvat. Horvat who never said anything out of line, never ruffled feathers, was the former captain and still had most of the fanbase rooting for him to do well. It came completely out of left field and blindsided a lot of people.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

At the end of the day, the Islanders were well back out of a playoff spot before the trade & now they're essentially one win away from a wild card spot I think.  And that's without Barzal spoon-feeding Horvat points for the past bunch of games.

People keep viewing trades as a only one side can "win" in such a transaction.  Strange concept that both teams can end up being better/win in a trade.

Its likely to be a good trade for us, so if Islanders feel its a good trade for them, its a win/win... perfect.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, McBackup said:

If the Canucks were a consistent cup contender throughout Bo's tenure and despite this the arena was half full and still a mausoleum, his comments would be completely justified. But he gave the fans nothing to cheer for and then turns around and insults the fans. 

Honestly I think the biggest reason his comment blew up was because it was coming from Bo of all people. If Miller had been traded and said it, there would be some ruffled feathers but it wouldn't be this big of a stink. If it was Hamonic or Eriksson or Gaudette or whoever, there would be some upset people but it would get forgotten pretty quickly.

I think its because it came from Bo of all people. Good ol' whitebread, milquetoast Bo Horvat. Horvat who never said anything out of line, never ruffled feathers, was the former captain and still had most of the fanbase rooting for him to do well. It came completely out of left field and blindsided a lot of people.

That is so true....

Couldn't be said any better.

I would also be happy, if my team was going to the play offs... and happy for Bo, that he is happy about it there.

What Canucks Army obviously struggle to understand, it not because Bo preceded over a team struggling the last 8+years fans reacted .

The sole reason for the reaction was the notion of the fans being better in N.Y.... 

Anyway its all cleared up now, and we can all move from DEFCON 2 back to DEFCON 5.... go outside and enjoy a cool beer, while wishing for a better season after the summer.

Edited by spook007
mistakes.
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I find this funny,   He’s gone to a borderline playoff team,.   That most posters here see tearing down next season, especially having 9 over 30 year old players.

.. essentially he may have walked into a rebuild .

Ilya Sorokin is going to be the greatest prize of the UFA market in the summer of 2024.  He could become the highest paid goalie in the league.  If goalie Bob got $10 million, what is Sorokin going to get on the open market?  You think he's going to take less than what Horvat signed for?  He's gonna want a 10x8 deal.  Lou will probably be gone by then though, so he won't have to deal with it.

NYI either sign Sorokin to a 10x8 deal or they go into full rebuild mode.  Half of their forwards will be gone in 3 years and they have zero prospects up front.  We took their best forward prospect from them.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I find this funny,   He’s gone to a borderline playoff team,.   That most posters here see tearing down next season, especially having 9 over 30 year old players.

.. essentially he may have walked into a rebuild .

Is that surprising though? He had not shown any inclination that he was more concerned about winning a championship over money. Like I said, he said one thing and continued to do another. JR knew that and so made him expendable. Maybe they told him that and that is why he is so disgruntled over Vancouver.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Its likely to be a good trade for us, so if Islanders feel its a good trade for them, its a win/win... perfect.

Seems to working out for everyone involved. The amount of people taking digs at Bo and the amount of points he is getting and such is staggering and extremely jilted. I'm sure the Islanders are just happy he's contributing to winning. He seems to be playing the same game he always did. Since when did Canucks fans care so much about how the Islanders are doing? Very poor taste in my opinion. I don't understand people like that ... pumping themselves up by putting others down, especially a guy, and a gentle soul at that who just dedicated 9 years of his life to you. I for one am happy for the guy and not jealous because our management runs our team like impatient children.

I hope they win the Cup and Bo gets the Conn Smythe. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:
From Canucks Army:

Bo was a loyal soldier for nearly a decade and captained this team through some of the worst iced lineups in franchise history. Is it Bo’s fault that the GMs above him floundered for eight years, struggling to ice a contender? Is it Bo’s fault that an incompetent GM’s near-decade-long failure to ice a watchable product turned Rogers Arena into an overpriced ghost town? No.
Getting mad at Bo for showing some personality is an absolute loser mentality. Let Bo crack jokes at his old team’s expense! It’s great WWE heel content and great commentary on the previous regime’s utter failure to accomplish anything with him as their leader.

The last part contradicts the rest of it. In order for the heel to work we need to be mad at him and root against him. Like, what does he gain by being a heel towards a management that doesn't have a job? Lol. But the rest of article or quote or whatever is some high and mighty garbage about how fans are ruining the fun by being mad and rooting against him.

Is he the heel or the sympathetic victim? He can't be both. I dislike what he said but like that he said it. He ruined it by walking it back though. I guess he didn't want to embrace the bad guy role. So he's a bad heel.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Brilliant response from Horvat.

That's the story buried, and we can all go back to our normal life, and discuss how to get rid of OEL or should Boeser stay...

To be honest if nothing else, it was a refreshing change of topics. 

Enjoy N.Y. Horvat.... here end the story. :rolleyes:

I mean thats just a big nothing statement to me. Where did he explain what he actually meant? He said his emotions got the best of him, he was just being honest, didnt mean to offend anyone but never actually clarified what he meant. aka oops that blew up, now time to try and put out this fire

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well no duh. If you're a Canucks fan you can't get excited about hockey so turning on former players is the next best thing. :lol:

If you're not excited about (Canucks) hockey why are you even here?

We have a lot of things to be excited/hopeful for. Maybe not a completely finished product, but this crap you're spewing serves nothing of value.

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

Oh...here's the thread about Bo's comments!

I get that Bo probably thought, or didn't think, that he was only speaking to the arena.  At least in that moment. And "Vancouver" meant the new JR management crew here. 

I can understand he never meant to badmouth the city or fans. But for me, it raises other red flags. It does question his intelligence in general for allowing those words to exit his brain and to a reporter. Not book smarts, but leadership smarts. Funny how that was probably the most controversial thing Bo has ever said in his NHL career.  I would have welcomed THAT Bo more here. A chip on his shoulder. Wearing his emotions on his sleeve a little more. It came to a point where I couldn't tell if Bo had any emotions. His post game interviews were so painful.  Even after a win, he didn't look much different or sound different than a loss. Win or lose, he'd roll out the cookie cutter response of either "Yeah...I thought everyone played well"  or "Yeah...we've got to play better".  And the same expression which said "I'm bored, can I go now?". 

I have sympathy for him in the sense that he was sentenced to the purgatory of a Jim Benning managed team for the most part of his career. Where he had to go to those after game interviews where his team lost more than they won. And I can understand Bo's lingering anger towards this management.  In his mind he has been a loyal soldier for years, and taken on the difficult role of captain in a rabid Canadian hockey city during a difficult time, and watched as management chose Miller, a fairly new acquisition, over him, basically.

But the flip side is that.....uh.....he was CAPTAIN during that dark age of JB. He had a lot of ice time. On the top lines. He had the ear of the room. I don't know, I always thought he had been so groomed to be the captain.....no matter which team he had been drafted to...... because he looked the part. And could deliver all the standard responses to questions like a seasoned politician at a young age already. But he was always missing something IMO. Like he had this dream of one day being a captain of an NHL team, and once he finally fulfilled his dream, he didn't know what to actually do with that position. That he used his position as a kind of security so that he could coast at a 50 point pace. ie. just enough to not be the first one to ever be criticized. Which JB helped him out with by his horrible pro scouting and signings which polished the shine on Bo's game.

It makes me also question his emotional intelligence. I heard reports of a final offer as high as 7.5 x 8.  But most sources were more certain it was 7 x 7.  If he let his envy of Miller's contract get to him where he wouldn't accept any offer less than Miller, then that's his choice.  He could have had a guaranteed 49 million $, added onto whatever he's made so far, to his bank account.  Remained an NHL captain, living in the most beautiful Canadian city, not having to uproot his family to the other side of the continent, and still earning more money than he could probably spend in his life. A team with young blood on the rise and finally a more optimistic future. 

He chose money. And I think that is in part why he still hasn't let it go. Because he also perhaps, underneath it all, regrets his hard core negotiation stance to at least some degree.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Seems to working out for everyone involved. The amount of people taking digs at Bo and the amount of points he is getting and such is staggering and extremely jilted. I'm sure the Islanders are just happy he's contributing to winning. He seems to be playing the same game he always did. Since when did Canucks fans care so much about how the Islanders are doing? Very poor taste in my opinion. I don't understand people like that ... pumping themselves up by putting others down, especially a guy, and a gentle soul at that who just dedicated 9 years of his life to you. I for one am happy for the guy and not jealous because our management runs our team like impatient children.

I hope they win the Cup and Bo gets the Conn Smythe. 

::D I'm not even sure many folks follow Islanders more than other teams not named Canucks. I know, I don't... I couldn't even say, who is fighting for a play offs place atm...

My interest lies with Canucks, and I get so much good Information on CDC with regards to other teams, players etc. that I feel that's good enough for me...

@McBackup said it perfectly, when he said the biggest reason for this reaction, was that it came from Bo the poster boy.

He is in the Naslund and Sedin mould, so for for him to actually say something that would feel as a stick towards the Vancouver fans, came as a shock more than anything, hence the reaction. 

Glad its done with, good response from Bo to stop it right away... He was part of the organisation for 9 years, and I for one like to remember him fondly. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

The Islanders are actually a reasonably young team, not part of the original six, not part of the first expansion in '67, not part of the second 1970 expansion (when the canucks got in) but part of the third expansion a couple of years later.    So unless you're a "Gen-X, millenial" or younger" they are considered a relatively young team to most adults.

The Roster is old, our is young. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Out of the horse's mouth (or elsewhere). I'm going to let this die on my part, but I'm not really buying it as I don't detect a whole lot of sincerity with "buts" included. I still get a bit of smugness from him but that might be jilted ex syndrome. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

I really hope this is the last of the negativity for this season. Bo apologized and clarified, whether it was genuine or not, let's just all move on. All I care now after accepting that we are playing our way out of a lottery draw again is which version of this team shows up next season. 

• Cheers 1