The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

You’re wrong about Miller and Boeser contracts.

Nah. I was also firmly on trade Miller from the beginning, and I knew this would be a bad signing. Management is truly bad at assessing players.

Edited by Dazzle

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. My original post that you replied to was posted after I misread what McBackup said.

There's still no confirmation on what, exactly, is protected..........it's not like protected is the same for every trade, they can make it however they want.  

In sure it's probably after the lottery, but I haven't seen that in writing anywhere

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We called Bo "The Ox" before because of his ability to potentially carry a team on his back. NYI are a structured defensive team (at least they were before, not too sure how Lane Lambert has changed their team this year) and having Bo to win them possession more often will only help with that. They also lacked go scoring which Bo should help with given his production this year. I think they still need to make another addition, but Bo gets them in the right direction for this season.

Agreed. I still think management picked a good trading partner. The east is way more competitive in the wild card range than the west. The Isles could move up a spot or two, but could easily stay exactly where they are or actually drop out of the race. Trading with the Rangers, Boston, Carolina Seattle, etc. would’ve made that an impossibility. They might squeak into the playoffs, but this team is not gonna pick up six or seven spots in the conference standings. At least I don’t think so.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I like fantilli, but it's not even close.  I mean like world's apart

Respect your opinion, and Bedard is special, no question about it, but both are still unproven in the league and Fantilli has the size and strength going for him, although Bedard's skill level is unquestionable.

That being said, my question was more on, and it was a legitimately curious one, if teams seriously wouldn't consider trading a smaller McDavid for lets say, an Eichel and Kyle Connor, or an Eichel and Noah Dobson.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So this begs the question: would Miller not receive a better offer LAST year, given that he wasn't a UFA? Management blundered badly on this trade and for re-signing Miller.

As much as I despise this trade, I sure hope Raty and Beauvillier prove me wrong on this one.

Perhaps we could have gotten something better for Miller, but at the same time, we weren't pressured to make a deal because he wasn't a pending UFA. Horvat is one now and we got the best we could. What's done is done. Can't be pissed at this trade on a what if/maybe on something previous. Looking at this trade in a vacuum and it's a fine trade given the circumstances.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Again, not saying you're wrong, but I haven't seen any info either way.  You're just going by what you think, correct?  I'd just like to see something official from.a credible source and I can't find any info on it.

Lets work through this. 

The pick is top 12 protected. This means that if the Islanders pick inside the top 12, it defers to next year. 

Now hypothetically, the Islanders finish 20th overall, 13th in the draft order based on standings. Hypothetically, they do NOT win the lottery, and they stay at 13th. Does Vancouver get this pick? Yes, it is not inside the top 12, so the pick is not protected.

Now, lets say they DO win the lottery and move up to 3rd. Is the pick lottery protected? Yes, they are picking inside the top 12. The trade has a clause where should the Islanders pick be inside the top 12, it defers to next year. The Islanders would be picking inside the top 12, so it defers to next year, and Vancouver gets their 2024 pick.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Kelly Green said:

I come from Vancouver where after waiting 50+ yrs for a center who could lead the league in faceoffs just saw o0ne get traded for a couple of projects and a pick that is no higher than 12th? (seriously?)

That is less than half value for Horvat imo

The fin is on ELC for two more years. That is insanely important for Petey and Hughes. 
If he can take Horvats place in two years when Myers is gone and we get serious in the league we are in for the ride 

On top of that we got a 1st that can be used as either trade material for a really good RD or drafting a really good RD.

The third guy can also play C so he might be able to compete about 3C/4C.

Also a player that fits the more speed natrative management talked about earlier.

Remember that Horvat wants a hefty contract and is too expensive for us.

Only a top RD is worth that kind of money going forward.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

You’re wrong about Miller and Boeser contracts.

I said Miller was going to get $8.5 over 8 years, I wasn't wrong by much.  I figured Boeser would sign gos QO , but never expected this group to be dumb enough to sign either player to a contract........that was where I was wrong.  I over estimated their intelligence

1 minute ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

dude.... their is some people on this forum that are not worth your time arguing with... you did your part, thanks for trying to teach us the truth... good job

Good call. They can figure it out on lottery day.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Perhaps we could have gotten something better for Miller, but at the same time, we weren't pressured to make a deal because he wasn't a pending UFA. Horvat is one now and we got the best we could. What's done is done. Can't be pissed at this trade on a what if/maybe on something previous. Looking at this trade in a vacuum and it's a fine trade given the circumstances.

I just realized that I blundered that post pretty badly, but I guess the meaning was not lost after all.

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

..or top 4 defenceman 

Expecting a top 4 defenseman is a bit of a reach at 13, but no one really knows. There's plenty of top tier defenseman today that weren't drafted that high (or at all)

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I think that pick is more valuable than people realize.  This is the best draft since 2003.  Having a second 1st round pick in the teens is a great bargaining chip.  You can keep the pick and draft another player in the 1st round of a deep draft, you can use the pick to move up in the draft to try and get Carlsson, or you can trade it to acquire a RHD.

I think if we end up 5th or 6th and we have the second pick between 13-18 that may be good enough to move up 2-3 spots and get Carlsson.  If Anaheim is picking at 3, they already have 2 centres, so they may want the extra pick.  Arizona may want an extra pick as well.

People are dumb. A first round pick is a super good asset. It's way better than a 7th regardless of how low it is. It's like trying to explain exponents to numbskulls.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Lets work through this. 

The pick is top 12 protected. This means that if the Islanders pick inside the top 12, it defers to next year. 

Now hypothetically, the Islanders finish 20th overall, 13th in the draft order based on standings. Hypothetically, they do NOT win the lottery, and they stay at 13th. Does Vancouver get this pick? Yes, it is not inside the top 12, so the pick is not protected.

Now, lets say they DO win the lottery and move up to 3rd. Is the pick lottery protected? Yes, they are picking inside the top 12. The trade has a clause where should the Islanders pick be inside the top 12, it defers to next year. The Islanders would be picking inside the top 12, so it defers to next year, and Vancouver gets their 2024 pick.

So if they finish #13 and get to #3 in the lottery, then Van does not get that pick, correct?  How did you come to.that conclusion, did you read it somewhere?

It says top 12 protected, not lottery protected

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Lets work through this. 

Yes, that makes sense.

No-one knows where anyone is drafting until after the lottery.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Expecting a top 4 defenseman is a bit of a reach at 13, but no one really knows. There's plenty of top tier defenseman today that weren't drafted that high (or at all)

Noah Dobson was 12th overall.

There is a lot of talent still at that 10-15 range. 

• Vintage 1