The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

24 minutes ago, jyu said:

Well said.

I recently moved to NY and so I am forced to watch NY based teams. And thanks to time zone difference, I watch the Canucks right after those games. And that has changed my mind over officiating in general.

Living in Vancouver watching predominantly Canucks games and some of the other Canadian teams, mostly Edmonton and Calgary, I really didn't like the officiating, the league, DoPS, and etc. Even in 2004, I thought the Flames should have won the cup in game 6 and thought that their cup got stolen to help boost popularity of the Florida team in Tampa.

During those years you mentioned, 2008-2013, I did feel like our success was prevented from the league. For example, Burrows-Auger incident, Rome hit on Horton and subsequent 4 game suspension, and Daniel Sedin getting a 5 minute major against the Sharks in game 4 in 2013 just to name a few. 

Maybe it is true, maybe the league and the refs were biased towards certain outcomes in the past. Or maybe I'm just biased because I love the Canucks. I will never know but I think it's possible that there were some biases involved back in the day when less money was involved and the league was smaller in comparison to now.

I've been roaming these forums since 2003 (when this forum just about came to existence). The common theme then and throughout the years was the corrupted league and the refs. But recently, I noticed less and less of those remarks here, which I'm glad to see because I can tell that officiating has improved quite a bit compared to back then. Game management still exists, especially in the playoffs but much better compared to the prior years.

I think it's time we move away from those unsubstantiated comments if possible. Sure, the refs will make mistakes and we can discuss that here but it's a bit disappointing to blame the refs for something that's clearly not their fault. 

Your trip down memory lane of Canuckdom sounds familiar. Do I wear the tin hat? Ya I do. Particularly for the 2011 playoffs. Is it warranted? Maybe not but it feels better. :) In support you have/had some pretty experienced NHL people who supported the theory of the Canucks being shafted. Quinn, Neilson, Neale, Burke, Gillis and Nonis. It isn't hard to build a business case for keeping CUPs in the USA. Markets count. They generate media revenue. Even worse this year with viewership down 20% YTD.  We are talking yearly income but also franchise valuations. 

People often comment that owners don't sell so they don't capitalize the value gained by the franchises. They don't have to sell to do that. They simply leverage that amount by using the asset as security. The cost of carrying that leverage is a legit business expense. :)  Is my hat getting any shinier? 

Can a Canadian club overcome and win a Cup. I am still a believer that they can win a mix of talent and luck. Yup the Lafayette bar! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Unlike some here, I don’t think Bo is a selfish person for wanting to provide for his family as best as he can and for listening to his agent who negotiates on his behalf. I also think that “hating” him is absurd. He seems to be a steady, hard-working, person of good character. I also don’t care if he signs with the Isles or anywhere else. Management took him for granted and prioritized Miller and that’s their prerogative. The only thing I care about regarding this trade is which pick we get and which year we get it. While I wish Bo well, I want us to pick 13-15 this year and don’t want the Isles improving so much with Bo that we get a later pick. All of this character assassination of Bo is silly and sour grapes. Like all of our players, he’s not perfect. I’m cautiously happy with our return and look forward to more trades for picks and prospects.

Imagine not being able to live off of $6 million per year...

The money is simply an ego thing, who gets paid more.  It has nothing to do with providing for your family unless you are a 4th line plug making minimum wage.  The top end guys are all getting paid millions.  Whether BO gets paid $6 million per year or $8 million per year, his family is still set for life as well as several of his future generations.  The extra $2 million is for the ego only...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The money is simply an ego thing, who gets paid more.  It has nothing to do with providing for your family unless you are a 4th line plug making minimum wage.  The top end guys are all getting paid millions.  Whether BO gets paid $6 million per year or $8 million per year, his family is still set for life as well as several of his future generations.  The extra $2 million is for the ego only...

Not sure if you realize it or not but NHL players have to pay taxes on their income. 6 million isn't 6 million take hom. Not even close. Besides that fact, you can't blame a dad for wanting to set his family up for generations.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I'm really curious to see how Bo pans out on a new team. He was finding success here on an individual basis, even if that wasn't translating to overall team success. Will be interesting to see if he was just more familiar/comfortable here and found his groove despite it all. Or if this team was holding him back and he reaches his full potential elsewhere. I'll be rooting for him to do well, but time will tell if he made the right move by holding out or if persistence here might've paid off.

It’ll be interesting too to see where that is. Having spent so much time learning how to play against certain players, coaching schemes in this division/conference, I wonder if that also factors in to choosing his new club (if UFA).
Having familiarity and knowing a playbook has made him consistent and effective. It’s not like he can’t adapt if he signs East, but if so, will that affect his production next season? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Not sure if you realize it or not but NHL players have to pay taxes on their income. 6 million isn't 6 million take hom. Not even close. Besides that fact, you can't blame a dad for wanting to set his family up for generations.

Yes, I heard about the tax thingy.  I get pissed every time I have to write a cheque to CRA.

$3 million net income after taxes is still enough to live freely and set up your kids for life.  The extra $1 million after taxes is just for ego, it will never get spent unless the wifey likes to go shopping at Holt Renfrew and likes exotic cars...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I heard about the tax thingy.  I get pissed every time I have to write a cheque to CRA.

$3 million net income after taxes is still enough to live freely and set up your kids for life.  The extra $1 million after taxes is just for ego, it will never get spent unless the wifey likes to go shopping at Holt Renfrew and likes exotic cars...

Sure, it's probably part ego. But every single player in the history of the league wants to maximize the money they make. It's the same as anyone else, in any job setting. I don't think that makes Bo selfish, but he sure as f**k won't be worth what he gets paid, and im glad it's not us stuck under the weight of his contract next year. 

Taking into account all the available stats and metrics before this year (where nearly everything about this team has been a failure) Miller is the better player in nearly every category. I wish we could have traded both, but Miller in 2021-2022 moves the needle further than Bo in 2023. He's a more rounded player.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With inflation these days that extra million after taxes doesn't go far at all for the 6 grandchildren. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

With inflation these days that extra million after taxes doesn't go far at all for the 6 grandchildren. 

Hey man! That extra million could get those kids a rat infested bachelor apartment in the DTES.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Unlike some here, I don’t think Bo is a selfish person for wanting to provide for his family as best as he can and for listening to his agent who negotiates on his behalf. I also think that “hating” him is absurd. He seems to be a steady, hard-working, person of good character. I also don’t care if he signs with the Isles or anywhere else. Management took him for granted and prioritized Miller and that’s their prerogative. The only thing I care about regarding this trade is which pick we get and which year we get it. While I wish Bo well, I want us to pick 13-15 this year and don’t want the Isles improving so much with Bo that we get a later pick. All of this character assassination of Bo is silly and sour grapes. Like all of our players, he’s not perfect. I’m cautiously happy with our return and look forward to more trades for picks and prospects.

I haven't read all the posts ITT, so I'll take your word for it that some are hating him....

For me personally, I don't have any problem with his wanting to get the best deal he can....however, to suggest that he was "blindsided" and/or that he is "gutted", (both words that I have seen used to describe his reaction to the deal) seems like a case of wanting it both ways. According to the reports I've seen, the Canucks made a competitive offer, which Bo's camp decided wasn't good enough.

That's fine, if that's how you feel, but I don't think being traded should be surprising considering those factors.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I haven't read all the posts ITT, so I'll take your word for it that some are hating him....

For me personally, I don't have any problem with his wanting to get the best deal he can....however, to suggest that he was "blindsided" and/or that he is "gutted", (both words that I have seen used to describe his reaction to the deal) seems like a case of wanting it both ways. According to the reports I've seen, the Canucks made a competitive offer, which Bo's camp decided wasn't good enough.

That's fine, if that's how you feel, but I don't think being traded should be surprising considering those factors.

We’ll said. You can’t have it both ways

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's just silly. What if Pettersson doesn't settle for a 500k raise? Surely he could live on 7.83M a year. What about Miller? Why'd he take 8M when he could have gotten by just fine at 5.75M? Kuzmenko's got a 950k cap hit this year, even after taxes he's almost certainly doing better than almost every CDC'er probably does a year and he just took a deal for 5.5M a season, couldn't he have gotten by on less? Surely a modest 500k raise to almost 1.5Mx2 could have set up his family's future just fine. 

It's a business, players are in it for the money to a huge extent, every single one of them. Are we gonna dump on every player who doesn't take millions less than they could get per year going forward? We've been fortunate at times to have had players who take less, we've also paid players full value at times if not more. It happens. There are billions of dollars generated by the product the players put on the ice, back in the day players got peanuts, I don't begrudge players getting their bag if they can get GM's to give it to them. There is no happy medium with earnings and it'll always be a contentious subject but it applies to every single player, agent, management group, and owner. They're all in the business of making money, getting their client the most they can, or spending as little as possible for profit or cap reasons. 

There are absolutely fair criticisms that could be directed towards Bo and some have, and continue to do so. Going after him for the money piece is silly though, every player goes after the money to some extent. That's the business. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

100%, he wanted to get his bag, which is fine. I think most people are just happy it's going to be somebody else overpaying.

I haven't seen anybody shitting on him as a person, but it's an internet message board. You're bound to run into an idiot or *checks users browsing this thread* 12.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's just silly. What if Pettersson doesn't settle for a 500k raise? Surely he could live on 7.83M a year. What about Miller? Why'd he take 8M when he could have gotten by just fine at 5.75M? Kuzmenko's got a 950k cap hit this year, even after taxes he's almost certainly doing better than almost every CDC'er probably does a year and he just took a deal for 5.5M a season, couldn't he have gotten by on less? Surely a modest 500k raise to almost 1.5Mx2 could have set up his family's future just fine. 

It's a business, players are in it for the money to a huge extent, every single one of them. Are we gonna dump on every player who doesn't take millions less than they could get per year going forward? We've been fortunate at times to have had players who take less, we've also paid players full value at times if not more. It happens. There are millions of dollars generated by the product the players put on the ice, back in the day players got peanuts, I don't begrudge players getting their bag if they can get GM's to give it to them. There is no happy medium with earnings and it'll always be a contentious subject but it applies to every single player, agent, management group, and owner. They're all in the business of making money, getting their client the most they can, or spending as little as possible for profit or cap reasons. 

There are absolutely fair criticisms that could be directed towards Bo and some have, and continue to do so. Going after him for the money piece is silly though, every player goes after the money to some extent. That's the business. 

The question posed was that BO needed the extra $2 million to take care of his family.  Obviously, that is not true.  His family can get by with $6 million.  The extra $2 million is for ego.  And yes, I agree, it is the same for every player in the NHL.  I wasn't just targeting BO, so not sure what your point is...

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The question posed was that BO needed the extra $2 million to take care of his family.  Obviously, that is not true.  His family can get by with $6 million.  The extra $2 million is for ego.  And yes, I agree, it is the same for every player in the NHL.  I wasn't just targeting BO, so not sure what your point is...

I agree about the money, Bo wanted as much as Miller. As much as I like Bo, I'm glad JR/PA didn't cave. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Ahhh, well I missed the needing for family bit. No, they absolutely don't need the money. Every single player makes far more than they need to comfortably get by. But from a business standpoint the griping is silly. I get wanting players to take discounts but it often doesn't happen and it is what it is. Hughes and Pettersson didn't take discounts on their last deals, Luongo didn't take discounts. The twins might have taken a bit at one point but were overpaid towards the end of their careers. It happens. 

Maybe I've misdirected that last message towards you in particular but there's been plenty of fuss in this thread about Bo's having not taken less. Not every player is going to, in fact I reckon most don't. Even top teams don't always get that luxury, Tampa will be paying Sergachev 8.5M per season starting next season for example. His numbers leading up to this season absolutely didn't warrant that. Same goes for Colorado, I think folks would have a hard time arguing that MacKinnon took a discount. 

At the end of the day it is what it is. A business. 

• Huggy Bear 1