The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Assuming that the Islanders remain outside the playoffs but they don't drop much more, we get a pick, probably around 14 - 15 in a deep draft. Any RD's that we like around that point?

Sandin-Pelikka

No way Allvin doesn’t target him. This team is going full Euro.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

So with the plan being a short term retool with the goal of being good in a couple years how did this accomplish that?

Even if Raty pans out he’s not gonna be an impact player for at least 4 years. Beauvillier is yet another winger that takes up 4 mil in cap space and further hurts us from improving the D.

And I worry that they’re gonna flip the 1st this year to try and get help on D. Another deal like the Romanov or Lundqvist one…

That’s why I’m praying that the pick slides. If the pick is a 13-18 pick this draft I don’t see them keeping it. If it’s an undetermined pick in next years draft there’s no way they would trade it considering it could be a lotto pick.

I’ll be rooting for Raty, I hope he reaches his potential, but I feel like we just got farther away from actually fixing this team today.

People also need to consider Raty has a November birthday.

And his D+1 at his age was phenomenal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I am guilty of being too optimistic of our moves in the past. This trade will be graded in two, theee years. Remember the fuss when Schneider got traded for the pick to get Bo? How did that turn out? How about JR waiting to long and Bo gets hurt? Imagine that? Do we know the other potential offers? I mean the real offers not the Xbox ones. Betting the Isles will get a bump and finish well so possibly a top five and fifteen to twenties pick in a draft where some good dmen are projected to be. Some of the returns bounced around here were just stupid really and this is a fair trade. 

Edited by rekker

1 minute ago, lmm said:

the question now is

can the 13-18th and Canucks 1st

get you 1st OA?

I think you want it to slide. 2023 First which could be anywhere around top 5-10 if they keep failing + two unprotected 2024 firsts for 2023 1OA. 

• elephant 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Still in some shock that JR/PA actually did something BIG. Major surgery indeed. I'm glad they're serious and not just tinkering. Hopefully the Canucks can get into that Top 3 Draft position.

I've always liked Beauvillier's game, so I'm not upset at acquiring him, and the Canucks only have him for next season anyway. That'll be another $4,150,000 off the cap in 2024.  

Hoping the Islanders miss the playoffs and finish in 13th, or else maybe we get their 1st next year and we hit the lottery. More good prospects is great. Speaking of:

Podkolzin

Lockwood

Lekkerimaki

Raty

Hoglander

Karlsson

Klimovich

McDonough

the forwards prospect pool is already looking better.

Now they need to work on fixing that D

There's no one around 13 that I want. Even Sandin Pellikka is just Hughes. I don't think we benefit from another Hughes given how soft our blueline is. The only benefit to that pick being 13 is if that pick and our top 5ish pick is enough for 1st overall. Lol

1 minute ago, lmm said:

that may well be true

but I never saw it as an either/or question until after Miller was signed unnecessarilyhow would the Canucks look right now if they got the same return for Miller?

other than being way overstocked at F.. haha

cuz D? who needs em?

That is true in the perfect world neither Boeser nor Mikheyev would be signed and neither the OEL / Garland trade. 

Having said that I wanted to move on from Horvat. Love Horvat but it killed me how he was stuck in this bottom feeding organization for his entire NHL career. I'd rather he move on and find the success he deserves 

• There it is 1

29 minutes ago, BPA said:

Weaponizing cap space basically means taking on bad contracts in exchange for draft picks and prospects.

Now I am really confused. If you take on bad contracts IN EXCHANGE for draft picks and prospects, that means you are giving them away. I think you mean trading a Canuck player in exchange for a bad contract AND picks and prospects?

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Young, fast, solid (if unspectacular) "warm body", really good prospect, and a WAY better pick than we were getting from a contender. It's a good deal IMO.

Took some time to think about it and watch some Raty highlights and pretty much this, at this point, I agree with ^

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Still in some shock that JR/PA actually did something BIG. Major surgery indeed. I'm glad they're serious and not just tinkering. Hopefully the Canucks can get into that Top 3 Draft position.

I've always liked Beauvillier's game, so I'm not upset at acquiring him, and the Canucks only have him for next season anyway. That'll be another $4,150,000 off the cap in 2024.  

Hoping the Islanders miss the playoffs and finish in 13th, or else maybe we get their 1st next year and we hit the lottery. More good prospects is great. Speaking of:

Podkolzin

Lockwood

Lekkerimaki

Raty

Hoglander

Karlsson

Klimovich

McDonough

the forwards prospect pool is already looking better.

Now they need to work on fixing that D

I disagree. McDonough could walk. Raty and Lekker are still great potential. Karlsson 50/50. 

The others have a lot of holes in their game. If you could meld Lockwood with Pod and Hog into one player, you have something.