The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo? He’s our best prospect in the system, he should make the team

Rate this topic

Odd.

8 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

What kind of troll job is this? Jurmo is nowhere close to our best prospect, and none of the pundits out there have him remotely close to the top of our list. He's a long shot at best to stick in the NHL.

I must be a terrible troll then

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And astonishingly Cull was a disaster in Vancouver too. Who woulda thought?

The Canucks need to stop promoting coaches from the farm that have no experience just because they feel they’ve “earned it”.

Its lucky we didn’t have any high end prospects for him to ruin. Seems like Colliton has everyone developing the way they should now.

People want to rip JR/PA and want them fired.  They literally fixed our entire farm team in just over a year, Aquilini was the one who brought the team to Abbotsford.  They got all of their assistants in place, got the coach they wanted as well as two assistants who are borderline hall of famers, they traded the captain and now are looking at some major surgery.

People can trash these guys all they want, but at the end of the day they are doing all of the dirty work that Benning refused to do and didn't have the balls to do...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Joni Jurmo isn't a defensive defenseman though. He's like Myers, but probably without the boneheaded penalties. Actually, we'd probably be ecstatic if he was that.

Sautner/Chatfield were given lots of chances here, but they didn't succeed. Chatfield was ok here, but he had his own defensive lapses. Woo playing forward was not a matter of choice, nor was it indicative of his worth of a defenseman.

Playing Woo as a forward is definitely not a good look. I mean, why would you even attempt that, he was 21 I think at the time. Playing him as forward is just terrible development.

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

People want to rip JR/PA and want them fired.  They literally fixed our entire farm team in just over a year, Aquilini was the one who brought the team to Abbotsford.  They got all of their assistants in place, got the coach they wanted as well as two assistants who are borderline hall of famers, they traded the captain and now are looking at some major surgery.

People can trash these guys all they want, but at the end of the day they are doing all of the dirty work that Benning refused to do and didn't have the balls to do...

Maybe our owner is finally listening to (and doing) what his President/GM are recommending?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe our owner is finally listening to (and doing) what his President/GM are recommending?  

Yes Alf, that is EXACTLY what is happening.  JR is doing whatever he needs to do.  He was given direction by the owner and is now performing major surgery on this team that was on life support and is now in the emergency room with 3-4 major surgeries happening to try and save this franchise...

• Haha 1
  • There it is 2

Yes Alf, that is EXACTLY what is happening.  JR is doing whatever he needs to do.  He was given direction by the owner and is now performing major surgery on this team that was on life support and is now in the emergency room with 3-4 major surgeries happening to try and save this franchise...

Yup.  I think our owner meddles in the potential Miller Trade at the 2022 TDL.  Then meddled in the Bruce stuff last summer.  When the results of his meddling became clear, he learned to keep his nose out.  

I wonder if privately JR told Aquilini to look at what happens when an owner meddles in hockey ops?  Nonis, Gillis, Benning, Linden.  None had the experience and resume of JR so our owner didn’t listen.  (He should have, of course). But now he’s learned to keep his snout out.  God, I sure hope this is what’s actually going on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup.  I think our owner meddles in the potential Miller Trade at the 2022 TDL.  Then meddled in the Bruce stuff last summer.  When the results of his meddling became clear, he learned to keep his nose out.  

I wonder if privately JR told Aquilini to look at what happens when an owner meddles in hockey ops?  Nonis, Gillis, Benning, Linden.  None had the experience and resume of JR so our owner didn’t listen.  (He should have, of course). But now he’s learned to keep his snout out.  God, I sure hope this is what’s actually going on. 

Miller was on the trade block but was pulled off because we were shooting for the playoffs.  It's hard to say if that was soley an Aquilini decision or jointly with JR.  JR wanted Bruce gone in the summer, he didn't even know his contract was extended for one more year.  So, he couldn't really be fired.  Not sure if that was Aquilini saying I don't want to pay another coach, or JR saying well Bruce almost got us in the playoffs so let's roll with him another year and see what happens.

However, since the season has started, IMO JR has now been given full authority to do whatever he needs to do.  I think Aquilini is not meddling at all right now, JR most likely gave him an ultimatum.  Everything we are seeing now is not what Aquilini would be doing if he wanted to keep this team competitive.  We are literally tanking right now.  And we traded BO for a top prospect and a pick, not some 25-year-old who was going to come in and try and save the season.  Never thought I would see this to be honest.  For the first time in awhile, I have hope that we are on the right track to fixing this mess...

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

see above.

Regardless, he’s still playing top 4, hell borderline top 2 time.

He beat out Ethan Bear. He’s a regular on the best defensive team the last couple of years. That tells a lot about us.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Could be because Slavin's been out for the past couple weeks. 

Carolina is playing right now.  Looks like Chatfield is at 14:45 and Burns is at 15:44 in the second period.  Chatfield is #2 in ice time on the entire team.  Slavin is out yes, but I think Chatfield is also outplaying all of their other Dmen too.  He's actually playing more than Pesce...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

Just now, Odd. said:

Regardless, he’s still playing top 4, hell borderline top 2 time.

He beat out Ethan Bear. He’s a regular on the best defensive team the last couple of years. That tells a lot about us.

Carolina is playing right now.  Looks like Chatfield is at 14:45 and Burns is at 15:44 in the second period.  Chatfield is #2 in ice time on the entire team.  Slavin is out yes, but I think Chatfield is also outplaying all of their other Dmen too...

Fact of the matter is he averages below average top 6 minutes when the Canes have a healthy blueline. Ice time literally increased the next game when Slavin was out it will go back down when Slavin is back. 

Burns is on a 6 game point streak. Skjei, Burns and Pesce all have more ice-time overall since Slavin's been out.

I don't think Chatfield's play is indicative of much. If anything he should be fresh since they've barely given him much ice-time. Their entire top 4 plays like 22+ minutes a game. It would make sense to give their guys a break, especially when one's already hurt. 

Personally, I think a lot of people are sleeping on Klimovich's improvement. He could be our top prospect IMO. Rathbone, Hoglander, and Podz are better, but they're also all older (and Hogs and Podz are stretches as "prospects", given their NHL time).

• Cheers 2

Mmm, I don't know about that one. Jurmo's got a great toolbox but he's still young and raw. I'd rather see him come over and play in Abbotsford first, mind you I'm also someone who'd rather see prospects stew longer in general. He'll be 21 in April, there's absolutely plenty he could learn playing AHL hockey. The coaches in Abbotsford would have a better idea as to where he's at in terms of making the jump or not too. 

Getting him over so that Canucks brass, the twins, coaching staff, ect can keep an eye on him more regularly would be a good first step. But no, I don't expect he'll be cracking the squad soon. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Yes, I am that confident Jurmo is truly the best prospect we have.

Over Rathbone, Podkolzin, Hoglander, hell even Raty. 

He was ranked 20th on NHL central scouting and ranked 46th by EP, as well as 60th by Bob McKenzie.

Just look at his highlights:

He’s 6’4 198lbs. His skating ability, size, athleticism, physicality etc scouts rave about are evident. He is a true defensive defenseman with offensive instincts.

I’ll buy his ticket, this is the type of defenseman we need and he’s literally in our system!

I am a big  Jurmo fan also 6'4 can skates well, physical, defensive big guy.. Hope he comes over soon and plays some games for Abby Canucks..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Doesn't he have to sign with the team before the new season rolls over?  He was drafted almost three years ago.  I thought draft rights expired over time.

EDIT: I did some digging, and it looks like both sides expressed interest in him coming over following the conclusion of this season.  So we might even see him play for Abbotsford this year in March.  His rights expire June 2024, over a year from now.

I think he signed 2 year contracted back home..He should be free from his contract 2023-24 season?