The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nikita Tryamkin eyeing NHL return

On 3/17/2023 at 4:25 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd split Hro and Hughes and spread the offense around. But hiding OEL on the third pairing is great. We could probably survive his contract for two years before a inexpensiver buy out. 

If we could survive with OEL for 2 seasons with a better defense. 

He would cost 1.7M x 4 years

cap hit for those four years 2 x 4M and 2 x 1.5M

Bottom line is being able to hide him as 6-7 guy. 

This is what I've been saying. The time to buy him out is in 2 years to maximize benefit/cost penalties and line up the benefits with when we really need it. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:06 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Tryamkin back with the Canucks, but role and expectations are things that the team must dictate and not him or his agent.

Given the Canucks' apparent interest in Valtteri Pulli, there is interest in a tall, physically imposing Dman who can skate. Tryamkin would fit that bill, albeit he is much older than Pulli. Still, Tryamkin may have value in a depth or 3rd pairing role until he can prove his mettle.

If Tryamkin wants a big contract and/or to immediately slot into a team's top-4, then he should look elsewhere. His run from several years ago was fun to follow from draft day to his last NHL game, and it at least showed some promise at that time. I don't think Tryamkin has done enough in the KHL to indicate that he has risen far above that level in the time he has been away though.

I'm curious what teams will offer him as well.

He's big, skates well, and is right-side so there are going to be interesting offers. Maybe we see him offered a multi-year deal (3X3), a spicy one-year deal (1X4) or a one-year show me (1X1.5).

Edited by c00kies
  • Cheers 1

I feel like there are a lot of options to improve our D next year.  If we signed Tryamkin (mostly to play RD on his offside) and Gavrikov for size and defensive needs, moved Myers once his bonus is paid we could be in good shape without much more even:

Hughes Juulsen

Gavrikov Hronek

OEL Tryamkin 

Would be nice to hear some more on Tree.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I feel like there are a lot of options to improve our D next year.  If we signed Tryamkin (mostly to play RD on his offside) and Gavrikov for size and defensive needs, moved Myers once his bonus is paid we could be in good shape without much more even:

Hughes Juulsen

Gavrikov Hronek

OEL Tryamkin 

You lost me when you have a 5-6d/AHLer playing with Hughes

• Upvote 1

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

You lost me when you have a 5-6d/AHLer playing with Hughes

I guess I could have explained further.  I think a legit defensive RD would be ideal with Hughes but Juulsen, Schenn types can meet the need in the short term. Livingston (unlikely now) and Reinbacher (possible through draft but not NHL ready) would be good options too but there is nothing obvious there.  

Outside of the Hughes pairing the other element give us great puck moving and strong size/defensive D without compromising speed which is key.  

I think Tryamkin meets a need for our team as part of the overall solution.  Not sure he’s Hughes partner type level but it’s possible he does spot duty there (on his offside).

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I guess I could have explained further.  I think a legit defensive RD would be ideal with Hughes but Juulsen, Schenn types can meet the need in the short term. Livingston (unlikely now) and Reinbacher (possible through draft but not NHL ready) would be good options too but there is nothing obvious there.  

Outside of the Hughes pairing the other element give us great puck moving and strong size/defensive D without compromising speed which is key.  

I think Tryamkin meets a need for our team as part of the overall solution.  Not sure he’s Hughes partner type level but it’s possible he does spot duty there (on his offside).

@RetroCanuck Watch the post game interview with Tocchet.

He says he likes Juulsen, and Hughes likes playing with him.  It may not be as far fetched as you think.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

On 3/24/2023 at 2:19 PM, Kobayashi Maru said:

Hughes Juulsen

Gavrikov Hronek

OEL Tryamkin 

Juulsen is a funny way of spelling Livingstone 

On 2/2/2023 at 4:54 PM, Timråfan said:

It seems his experiance of either Vancouver or the Canucks were really bad since he talks about NHL when the Canucks exlusivity is gone.

Was it so bad here?

I think maybe he feels he “deserved” a bigger role than he had. But, I never saw anything from him that warranted that. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

I think maybe he feels he “deserved” a bigger role than he had. But, I never saw anything from him that warranted that. 

Going back, way back, to the meeting he and his agent had with Benning and Coaching Staff.

When Desjardins was trying to Force Tryamkin to the AHL, against Tryamkins signed Contract ( which many players have).

Benning came out of the meeting and stated that Tryamkin and his agent were right to state that Nikita was playing better than 3 other Canuck D men on the Team roster,  and would not be sent down.

At the end of that season Desjardins was fired.

Tryamkin was offere a 2m x 2year contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The last time Tryamkin tried to sign, everything was gummed up because of Covid delays. And when the season would start. Or be canceled possibly. 

He was force choice to go back to the KHL. 

Plus our covid was bad. 

Going through the whole team.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...