The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's The Deal On Demko? (Discussion)

For the basis of this trade-musing, let's agree on some broad points:

- Demko IS an exceptional talent

- Before Valentines, he gets back in there & is looking good

- Teams are flooding us with calls

- A key 'tender or two goes down before TDL

Take TO, for example. I don't know their prospects well, but say they'd offer their top prosp(is it Knies?) & 2023 1st? What if they'd take back a further body like Pearson?

How far would it have to go for U(as a Van & TD fan) to part with him?

Would it have to be a KEY piece(like a Brandt Clarke type)? Or can you envision a deal of assorted pieces. EG:

a 1st, good prospect, AND 'tender prospect(3 pieces like Bo)

Again, picture TD back in fine form. Do you have a breaking point where you'd accept the right offer? What would that look like?

Demko WAS an exceptional talent. He's going to have to prove he's still capable of playing at that level if you're going to expect any sort of impressive return.

Goalie market is traditionally soft. Teams are having more and more success with average goaltending. Keumper in Colarado, Binnington in St Louis, Murray/Jarry in Pitts, Crawford in Chicago, even Holtby in Washington was shakey. There are plenty of capable starting/tandem goaltenders hitting FA this summer. No team is going to give up huge assets for a goalie with possible bad hips, when they can punt to next year and sign a capable goalie for free. Valarmov, Jarry, Blackwood, Andersen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

No chance you get Clarke.

Goalies simply do not have top prospect value if you look at precedence.

1st + good prospect is probably the price, assuming Demko shows he's healthy and playing like his usual self. 1st + Grans would be lovely.

If we do trade Demko, I hope we entertain taking on Petersen's cap dump, as well (for more assets, of course).

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

I've seen "Tristan Jarry coming back" rumours if a trade were to happen. Typical, Pittsburgh thing, but I don't know why PIT would do this. Jarry is having a really good year. 

I think this is all rumours of Demko being available. JR/PA could end up trading Demko, but a goalie would have to come back+

• Thanks 1

If we're offered a top 2 RHD (either a young roster player or a non-roster prospect) I don't see why you wouldn't trade him for that type of asset? 

We've been equally 'meh' as a team with Demko as we have been without him so why not acquire that essential asset (top pairing RHD) if we can? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've seen "Tristan Jarry coming back" rumours if a trade were to happen. Typical, Pittsburgh thing, but I don't know why PIT would do this. Jarry is having a really good year. 

I think this is all rumours of Demko being available. JR/PA could end up trading Demko, but a goalie would have to come back+

Jarry was bad in the playoffs two years and injured in the playoffs last year.

If he doesn't perform for one reason or another in these upcoming playoffs, it wouldn't be a surprise if they went in another direction despite his regular season success.

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If we're offered a top 2 RHD (either a young roster player or a non-roster prospect) I don't see why you wouldn't trade him for that type of asset? 

We've been equally 'meh' as a team with Demko as we have been without him so why not acquire that essential asset (top pairing RHD) if we can? 

Nobody is offering a top pairing RD for a goalie. Goalies are both easier to acquire and easier to play around/shelter.

Whereas we've seen here first hand how difficult it is to secure quality RD's.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Nobody is offering a top pairing RD for a goalie. Goalies are both easier to acquire and easier to play around/shelter.

Whereas we've seen here first hand how difficult it is to secure quality RD's.

Agreed, an average goalie is pretty easy to trade for and/or sign.  Even a better than average goalie isn't impossible to find on the open market. 

But it's almost impossible to acquire a 'truly elite' goalie in their prime signed long-term on a very reasonable deal and that is , presumably, what Demko is or what most of CDC believes he is. 

If you're an NHL GM and you have a team with all the pieces except a truly elite goalie (LA for example) - I think it's totally reasonable to consider a trade for a young RHD.  I'm not saying it happens at TDL, but Demko could take a team like LA to the next level and they have arguably one of the strongest young defence pools in the league - they could easily afford to trade one as they don't have room on the roster for all of them once they develop beyond the minor-league level.  Copley isn't the answer there, everyone knows that. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Come on man.. Nobody is trading a #2 RHD for Demko. Even without the injury, and the terrible play this year, that is unrealistic. 

Vanecek + 2nd - got a 3rd, 2nd.

Georgiev - got a 3rd, 3rd, 5th.

Fleury - got a 2nd.

Nedeljkovic - 3rd

Hill - 2nd

The value of defenseman are head and shoulders above the value of a goaltender.

Alex Romanov - 1st round pick

Nick Leddy - Two young players and a 2nd.

Travis f**king Hamonic - 3rd

Chariot - 1st, prospect, 4th

Manson - Prospect, 2nd

Brenden Dillon - 2nd, 2nd

Ristolenien - 1st, 2nd, 2nd

Seth Jones (Only top pairing (at the time) d on the list) - 1st, 1st, Boqvist, 2nd.

It's not happening dude. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

With the additions of Kuze, Mik, Lazar and a much better 4th line, we should be a better team than last season.

With a healthy Demko, this team would not be looking at a lotto pick (not that I mind getting a high pick).  The

backup guys are doing the best they can, but are letting in a lot of easy goals.

It's debatable that even a healthy Demko gets a right dman return in a trade.

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

With the additions of Kuze, Mik, Lazar and a much better 4th line, we should be a better team than last season.

With a healthy Demko, this team would not be looking at a lotto pick (not that I mind getting a high pick).  The

backup guys are doing the best they can, but are letting in a lot of easy goals.

It's debatable that even a healthy Demko gets a right dman return in a trade.

If prime Taylor Hall doesn't get you one, Demko sure as hell doesn't.

I don't think Demko is enough to pull this roster out of the bottom 3rd of the league, not with the current dcore at least.

Here's hoping to at least one year of tanking for picks. 

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jarry is a UFA and the only reason Pittsburgh is looking for a goalie is that Jarry is going to want north of $6M for lengthy term. If Demko was to be traded, it would be to save money on the cap. Trading away a $5M player then signing a $6+M player doesn't make sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Jarry is a UFA and the only reason Pittsburgh is looking for a goalie is that Jarry is going to want north of $6M for lengthy term. If Demko was to be traded, it would be to save money on the cap. Trading away a $5M player then signing a $6+M player doesn't make sense.

Well, that seals it...this is what will happen :)

• Haha 2

With his injury history and very lackluster play this season, I just don't see Demko having much trade value right now. I think teams would need to see another prolonged stretch of really good play from him before he's worth trading. And at that point, if he's playing great, I'd rather keep him!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Vanecek + 2nd - got a 3rd, 2nd.

Georgiev - got a 3rd, 3rd, 5th.

Fleury - got a 2nd.

Nedeljkovic - 3rd

Hill - 2nd

Regardless, none of these guys except for maybe Fleury are even close to as good as Demko has shown he can be. We aren’t gonna get a proven top RD not a chance, but more than any of these guys got that’s for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

Regardless, none of these guys except for maybe Fleury are even close to as good as Demko has shown he can be. We aren’t gonna get a proven top RD not a chance, but more than any of these guys got that’s for sure. 

Maybe last year he would have fetched MAF value, but he won't this year after the injury and poor play. Hell, even if he does somehow get twice the return of MAF, that's still only two 2nd round picks.. that is a piss poor return. If you're lucky you draft one player who makes the lineup in a non impact role.