The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So coach T called out the team "soft", who will be our team's enforcer then?

Rate this topic

tan

On 2/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, tan said:

And we need more Canadian kids in this team

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I think we need better players on this team overall. More specifically, a better defense. I don't care what country those better players come from. In fact, limiting that to mostly coming from 1 country just ties your hands behind your back while you're trying to get better players.

Why limit our potential like this?

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Iginla was a beast.

That moment when he did that spoke volumes about his character...it stood out to me.

When we talk about culture, this is part of it. He led with his on ice performance but he also knew that the NHL was a brotherhood and handshakes and respect shown after the game were important.

can't agree more

We need more Tom Wilson/Kevin Bieksa/Rypien type of Players. The most I like definitely Iginla. They score, they hit, they fight.  They are the enforcer of the new hockey era.  That is the culture we should build.

Edited by tan
  • Upvote 1

On 2/6/2023 at 11:41 AM, kanucks25 said:

It's not about having a goon on the roster.

It's about playing hard, back-checking, board battles, battles in front of the net, blocking shots etc. All the clichés but it matters.

Need to be "hard to play against". Other teams need to know they will have to work their butts off if they want to win.

On 2/6/2023 at 1:13 PM, Strawbone said:

I don't think he was calling the team soft in terms of not having an enforcer, more that they were soft on the puck, not winning a lot of battles, and not initiating contact. I'll give that game a pass, it was a real stinker but the team was going through so much at that time. Hopefully they get back in the groove starting tonight and play a good game (but lose by 1 goal).

These two posts state it well.

Only thing I’d add is that the Canucks are 2nd in the league in fighting majors, with 24, and only one off the leaders (Philly) with 25. We don’t need more guys dropping the gloves. We need to be less “soft” during the run of play.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I miss Darcy "Crazy Eyes" Hordichuck.

Talking about the crazy eyes. I used to sit in row 7, corner seat and if there was Facoff  in that corner I used to watch Brad May give the look at an oppenent. It made your stomch turn. You new what was coming next

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I miss Darcy "Crazy Eyes" Hordichuck.

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Talking about the crazy eyes. I used to sit in row 7, corner seat and if there was Facoff  in that corner I used to watch Bard May give the look at an oppenent. It made your stomch turn. You new what was coming next

Bieksa told a story on Spittin’ Chiclets about how Hordichuk used to meet random people on the streets of Vancouver and offer to give them a tour, including stops by the homes of Canucks, in exchange for cash. He’d actually

come by and knock on the door, trying to introduce his teammates to these random people. One day Roberto got a little pissed off about it (I think he’d been woken from a nap). Hordichuk’s response was something like “it’s tough living on league minimum” :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Bieksa told a story on Spittin’ Chiclets about how Hordichuk used to meet random people on the streets of Vancouver and offer to give them a tour, including stops by the homes of Canucks, in exchange for cash. He’d actually

come by and knock on the door, trying to introduce his teammates to these random people. One day Roberto got a little pissed off about it (I think he’d been woken from a nap). Hordichuk’s response was something like “it’s tough living on league minimum” :lol:

Another point about hordichuk before face shields Horddichuck ahd extra padding on the front of his helmet so the helmet stuck out further so most combattants simply punched his helmet :lol:

• Haha 1

If we go with the idea that the enforcer, in the traditional sense, is gone, and what the OP really meant was a generally more physical presence on the ice, I agree.

Which is why i wish Tocchet would play Burroughs more.  Whenever Schenn and Burroughs are both in the lineup, I notice a significant rise in toughness rubbing off on the whole team. 

BB was starting to again play Burroughs more before he left. I even saw a Hughes / Burroughs shift or two. He didn't have to appease JR with his bad decision to waste of a second round pick by inserting Stillman in the lineup over Burroughs.

But now with a new coach in Tocchet, wanting to please his new boss,  it looks like he's operating under the same pressure to tow the line and sit Burroughs over Stillman to cover for JR's blunder once again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Another point about hordichuk before face shields Horddichuck ahd extra padding on the front of his helmet so the helmet stuck out further so most combattants simply punched his helmet :lol:

The guy wasn't much of a player but definitely one of the more unique characters I've seen in my time as a Canuck fan:lol:

21 hours ago, The Lock said:

Enforcers are kind of a thing of the past at this point. Anyone close to being an "enforcer" now typically has more than just the ability to enforce.

There is a big difference between an enforcer and a goon.    Things got worse during 90's expansion, we ended up with guys like Tony Twist,  Scott Parker, Peter Worrel that couldn't play more than 5 minutes without hurting their team.   Far cry from guys like Brad May, Tie Domi,  Probert, McSorely, Manson, Tinordi, Momesso, Williams, etc etc etc - all of whom could play a regular shift and not hurt their team.     Manson was in a couple all-star games, McSorely led the league in plus minus one year, Probert was the All-Star all the stars wanted to meet when he went - star struck.    Then Severyn, Peluso - and guys like Randy McKay, of which most teams had one at one time or another - not even going to get into power forwards, they don't really even exist anymore.   41 year old Roberts beating the tar out of 240lb Ben Eager lol.   Shanny.   Messier. Otto.   Ugh.   Yes there were a few guys like Brown around as well and Behn in the 80's but for the most part all these guys would look so much better in the bottom six playing 10-12 minutes a game then Joshua. 

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Qwho will be our team's enforcer then?

A: Well that's easy......EP40   200.gif?cid=ecf05e472oo7qyl9gjfvmrg1dush

I wouldn't hang on this for too long....Petey's no pushover. 

He laid a pretty good hit in the NJ game and he isn't afraid to play a physical game. Not that he's an enforcer or fighter, but that picture does not depict him at all. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

16 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Remember  what Naslund said about Wade Brookbank, He makes every player on this bench 6" taller

First time i heard about players saying this was Roenick talking about when Probert went to CHI ... said almost the same thing " a foot taller".   

23 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah I disliked the 1989 Flames for a little while...but looking back the number of individual players on that roster than I respect greatly is one of the deepest of all time in that regard...  Lanny McDonald, Hakan Loob, Mike Vernon, Al MacInnis, Theoren Fleury, Doug Gilmour, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Joel Otto, Brad McCrimmon, Jamie Macoun, Dana Murzyn, Tim Hunter, Rob Ramage, Ric Nattress, Stu Grimson, Rick Wamsley, Joe Mullen, Gary Suter.  What a fantastic team.

And in the years not long before...  Kent Nilsson, Jim Peplinski, Paul Reinhart, Reggie Lemelin, Dan Quinn, Paul Baxter, John Tonelli, Willi Plett, Eric Vail, Pat Riggin, Bob MacMillan, Brad Marsh, Dan Bouchard, Ed Beers, Don Edwards, Doug Risebrough and for a brief moment our own Bobby Lalonde...

THN sure agrees with you.  A top ten all-time team.   For comparison,  94 Rangers made their top 25 in the low 20's... Boston 2011 didn't make the cut but CHI did at 15.   2011 beat CHI.   I think if we won the cup that team would have also made the cut.  

• Like 1