The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So coach T called out the team "soft", who will be our team's enforcer then?

Rate this topic

tan

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

THN sure agrees with you.  A top ten all-time team.   For comparison,  94 Rangers made their top 25 in the low 20's... Boston 2011 didn't make the cut but CHI did at 15.   2011 beat CHI.   I think if we won the cup that team would have also made the cut.  

Yeah I don't know if I can think of any other lineup offhand where I can name 19 players all worthy of mention decades later at least not that wasn't a dynasty team.

I guess something like the 1982 Islanders...  Bossy, Smith, Potvin, Trottier, Gillies, Nystrom, Tonelli, Brent Sutter, Duane Sutter, Bourne, Persson, Morrow, Goring, Rollie Melanson, Jonsson, McEwen.  Heck that's only 16 though.

Then again maybe the 1985 or 1987 Flyers and they never even won a Cup.

1985...  Lindbergh, Froese, Propp, Kerr, Craven, Mark Howe, McCrimmon, Zezel, Ron Sutter, Poulin, Doug Crossman, Brad Marsh, Rich Sutter.  13 players but Howe, McCrimmon, Marsh and Crossman is a great top four D.

1987...  Hextall, Resch, Propp, Kerr, Craven, Howe, McCrimmon, Zezel, Ron Sutter, Poulin, Crossman, Marsh, Mellanby, Eklund, Sinisalo, Kjell Samuelsson, Craig Berube, Rick Tocchet and our own Kevin McCarthy for a couple games anyway.  That's 19 if you count guys like McCarthy and Glenn Resch who were on the 18th hole.  But that's essentially the 1985 team plus Tocchet and swapping out one Vezina caliber goalie for another.

Or the 1988 and 1990 Bruins.  Between the two lineups combined...  Moog, Bourque, Neely, Propp (sound familiar), Hodge Jr., Bobby Carpenter, Garry Galley, Dave Christian, Glen Wesley, Reggie Lemelin (sound familiar), Dave Poulin (sound familiar), Bob Sweeney, Randy Burridge, Wes Walz, Rick Middleton, Steve Kasper, Keith Crowder, Ken Linseman, Willi Plett, Doug Keans, Moe Lemay.

Those Flyers and Bruins teams really would have been celebrated and lots of their guys inducted into the Hall of Fame if the Oilers dynasty hadn't roadblocked them.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

There is a big difference between an enforcer and a goon.    Things got worse during 90's expansion, we ended up with guys like Tony Twist,  Scott Parker, Peter Worrel that couldn't play more than 5 minutes without hurting their team.   Far cry from guys like Brad May, Tie Domi,  Probert, McSorely, Manson, Tinordi, Momesso, Williams, etc etc etc - all of whom could play a regular shift and not hurt their team.     Manson was in a couple all-star games, McSorely led the league in plus minus one year, Probert was the All-Star all the stars wanted to meet when he went - star struck.    Then Severyn, Peluso - and guys like Randy McKay, of which most teams had one at one time or another - not even going to get into power forwards, they don't really even exist anymore.   41 year old Roberts beating the tar out of 240lb Ben Eager lol.   Shanny.   Messier. Otto.   Ugh.   Yes there were a few guys like Brown around as well and Behn in the 80's but for the most part all these guys would look so much better in the bottom six playing 10-12 minutes a game then Joshua. 

I don't know if I agree with this. None of those players are really in the NHL anymore and, if they are, they also have skill. If you look at the enforcers people are talking about these days, they're more than just enforcers. Wilson has scored more than 50 points. Reaves, arguably the toughest player in the league, is typically a good checker as well and plays (or played, he's getting old) an overall good 4th, maybe even 3rd line game outside of fighting.

The way I see it an enforcer's just one part of the job these days. A player who's deemed an enforcer needs to have more than just the ability to enforce otherwise that player might as well just be a pylon waiting to be skated by.

And some of the players you mentioned are like that, but not all in my opinion. I wouldn't classify Shanahan or Messier as enforcers for example. I would just classify them as all-around skilled players, and I think we need to make that distinction of what we're classifying here. I see that your definition of an enforcer is rather "loose" compared with my definition. ;)

6 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I wouldn't hang on this for too long....Petey's no pushover. 

He laid a pretty good hit in the NJ game and he isn't afraid to play a physical game. Not that he's an enforcer or fighter, but that picture does not depict him at all. 

When he lays down the gauntlets - I'm SOLD !   Still think he's a super-fantastic player though and he's the only player IMO that is untouchable - as far as trades go, with QH close behind him..

Edited by RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't know if I agree with this. None of those players are really in the NHL anymore and, if they are, they also have skill. If you look at the enforcers people are talking about these days, they're more than just enforcers. Wilson has scored more than 50 points. Reaves, arguably the toughest player in the league, is typically a good checker as well and plays (or played, he's getting old) an overall good 4th, maybe even 3rd line game outside of fighting.

The way I see it an enforcer's just one part of the job these days. A player who's deemed an enforcer needs to have more than just the ability to enforce otherwise that player might as well just be a pylon waiting to be skated by.

And some of the players you mentioned are like that, but not all in my opinion. I wouldn't classify Shanahan or Messier as enforcers for example. I would just classify them as all-around skilled players, and I think we need to make that distinction of what we're classifying here. I see that your definition of an enforcer is rather "loose" compared with my definition. ;)

So you weren't around back then.   Get it. 

Just now, IBatch said:

So you weren't around back then.   Get it. 

If you think I wasn't, then perhaps enlighten rather than just go the lazy route. If you think you can win the debate, then why are you falling short like this.

Clearly you know more than me so please, oh please, school me oh great one who knows more than me.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:45 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Enforcer?  This is 2023.

I'm hoping some of the current players find another level of grit, such as Miller, Joshua, Lazar, Studnicka, Podkolzin and Burroughs. I wish Dermott played with more grit, but he is pretty decent defensively. 

Dermott is one more serious concussion from pulling the pin, I doubt we want him to drop the gloves for anything.

On 2/9/2023 at 4:07 PM, Bure2Win said:

You'd think it would be our 6 foot 7 giraffe but he plays as soft a pudding and falls over in a slight breeze?

He plays soft because everytime he hits somebody he gets penalized for head hunting because he's so tall. The last time the Canucks were in the playoffs, Myers was great, played with grit, took the body, but the playoffs are refereed differently, so a hit hear the head that knocks a player down no matter if he's injured, gets you a targeting penalty in the regular season, but in the playoffs you can get away with blatant head hunting.

Edited by canuckleheads fan

On 2/8/2023 at 12:57 PM, Sean Monahan said:

Bieksa told a story on Spittin’ Chiclets about how Hordichuk used to meet random people on the streets of Vancouver and offer to give them a tour, including stops by the homes of Canucks, in exchange for cash. He’d actually

come by and knock on the door, trying to introduce his teammates to these random people. One day Roberto got a little pissed off about it (I think he’d been woken from a nap). Hordichuk’s response was something like “it’s tough living on league minimum” :lol:

That's awesome haha...I believe Bieksa also said Darcy would steal everyone's game sticks and sell them out of his trunk or something like that. Legendary stuff...

• Cheers 1

I could have told you that our team is soft in the last 10yrs. We need more toughness and grit out there to win the battles in the board. We definitely need to change that up and make a new identity moving forward. I think we need to make some trades to improve in this area.