The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So coach T called out the team "soft", who will be our team's enforcer then?

Rate this topic

tan

or we need re-org the bottom 6 to establish our "tough" identity?

We should build a new culture that players can score, can hit, can fight. 

to name a few, Tom Wilson/Kevin Bieksa/Rick Rypien...

--- This team is being push around and teammates don't stand up for each other??? serious team culture issue.

Edited by tan

Enforcer?  This is 2023.

I'm hoping some of the current players find another level of grit, such as Miller, Joshua, Lazar, Studnicka, Podkolzin and Burroughs. I wish Dermott played with more grit, but he is pretty decent defensively. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I don't think he was calling the team soft in terms of not having an enforcer, more that they were soft on the puck, not winning a lot of battles, and not initiating contact. I'll give that game a pass, it was a real stinker but the team was going through so much at that time. Hopefully they get back in the groove starting tonight and play a good game (but lose by 1 goal).

Excellant post, Straw b.

For the fans that like to see the direct quote...

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/rick-tocchet-calls-vancouver-canucks-soft-in-loss-to-seattle-kraken-1.1911389

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

It's not about having a goon on the roster.

It's about playing hard, back-checking, board battles, battles in front of the net, blocking shots etc. All the clichés but it matters.

Need to be "hard to play against". Other teams need to know they will have to work their butts off if they want to win.

haha

we have been playing that card longer than ol Jimmer's "Retool"

3 hours ago, tan said:

or we need re-org the bottom 6 to establish our "tough" identity?

It doesn't necessarily mean we need fighters or enforcers......it's how we play as a team. It's being hard to play against, tough on pucks, hard on the boards etc. It doesn't mean 3 fighting majors a game, it means play hard nosed hockey and winning puck battles and not folding under adversity or when you're down a goal or two.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Finish your checks, put a stick or a hand on anyone who touches the goalie, show concern when a team mate gets rocked, etc.

You don't need an enforcer to do this, it's a culture issue that needs to change.

The previous three captains of this team were great people and great leaders in their own way but didn't do a lot by way of leading this culture so the door is wide open to change now.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 3

4 hours ago, GB5 said:

Finish your checks, put a stick or a hand on anyone who touches the goalie, show concern when a team mate gets rocked, etc.

You don't need an enforcer to do this, it's a culture issue that needs to change.

The previous three captains of this team were great people and great leaders in their own way but didn't do a lot by way of leading this culture so the door is wide open to change now.

Tough. I like iginla type of captain.  Pettersson and Hughes doesn’t look like have that type of leaderships.

• Haha 1