The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's young, he'll be an NHL C and a good one when hes ready

I'm not trading the greatest Dman in Canucks history for a guy who MAY be a 3C in the future, and for a Dman who MAY be a top 2 guy in the future.  Mercer already needs to be a 3C who is showing that he can take draws with the best of them, and Nemec already needs to be a top 4 Dman playing 23 minutes a night before I make this deal.  I;m not trading Quinn for potential.  It needs to be a sure thing...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I just don’t get your enthusiasm to dump Hughes it's mind boggling. 

Yeah, and that's the exact same proposal/poll, David Amber presented the other night. 

At first I thought, not bad. But upon further review, no chance. 

It should cost a LOT more than that.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on that deal.

• Cheers 1

Just now, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, and that's the exact same proposal/poll, David Amber presented the other night. 

What it would cost for me to consider it worth it NJ would not realistically give up. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm not trading the greatest Dman in Canucks history for a guy who MAY be a 3C in the future, and for a Dman who MAY be a top 2 guy in the future.  Mercer already needs to be a 3C who is showing that he can take draws with the best of them, and Nemec already needs to be a top 4 Dman playing 23 minutes a night before I make this deal.  I;m not trading Quinn for potential.  It needs to be a sure thing...

That's not all you're trading him, hence the "to start".  They need players in the 21-23 age range that contribute now and grow with Petey, Kuz etc.  The rest of the package can be potential.

Just now, stawns said:

That's not all you're trading him, hence the "to start".  They need players in the 21-23 age range that contribute now and grow with Petey, Kuz etc.  The rest of the package can be potential.

So, who else are they going to throw in after Nemec and Mercer?  A 1st round pick that may be a bust?  Holtz, who may be a 15-20 goal guy?  Luke Hughes (obviously not)?  Marino?

Unless Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier are coming back, nothing they have is a sure thing other than Jesper Bratt, who is a winger and will want an $8 million+ deal...

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Yea no chance is that enough.

Definitely looks enticing at first but then you start to analyze it and quickly realize it could amount to a whole lot of nothing.

It’s easy to get caught up in the 2nd overall hype but there’s a lot of examples of D men taken top 5 that don’t pan out.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, who else are they going to throw in after Nemec and Mercer?  A 1st round pick that may be a bust?  Holtz, who may be a 15-20 goal guy?  Luke Hughes (obviously not)?  Marino?

Unless Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier are coming back, nothing they have is a sure thing other than Jesper Bratt, who is a winger and will want an $8 million+ deal...

Yea I was thinking about Bratt, but then it’s like why would we want another 8+ mil winger?

We need to be building down the middle and on D. We trade Hughes for another D man and some wingers we’re not really solving anything.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Definitely looks enticing at first but then you start to analyze it and quickly realize it could amount to a whole lot of nothing.

It’s easy to get caught up in the 2nd overall hype but there’s a lot of examples of D men taken top 5 that don’t pan out.

Exactly. You're not guaranteed that any of them will amount to what Hughes is already at 23, and only getting better. 

Plus, the marketing factor for NJ, unite the 3 brothers. That has to be worth much more, or I'm not making that deal. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mercer, Nemec and a first would be ok with me.  That's a franchise altering deal.  I might ask for Mukhamadullin too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mercer is only 21 yrs old now--- Age 20 --Gp 82 - 17 G - PTS 42 --   Age 21 -2022-23 GP 50-- G11 PTS 29  Future Top 6

Nemec 18  yrs old - RD - 2nd O/A 2022 -AHL GP 38 - PTS 17 Utica Comets  --U20 WJC  GP5 - 5 PTS - 1st team Allstar  

1st round draft pick and prospect ?? Could be 3 - 5 players? Would be the trade to really turn team in upward direction.

The deal would be a changer for Vancouver .. New Jersey will over pay and they have prospects to make it happen..

Vancouver would be crazy not to..It will happen sooner then later..

Devils will want 3 Hughes brothers great for marketing etc..

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea I was thinking about Bratt, but then it’s like why would we want another 8+ mil winger?

We need to be building down the middle and on D. We trade Hughes for another D man and some wingers we’re not really solving anything.

Honestly, the only guy I would want coming back for Quinn is Hischier.  He is a sure thing and would be a perfect 2C behind Petey.  That's how you build a team.  All the other guys are prospects or roster players.  If you are trading Quinn Hughes, you gotta have a star player coming back...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Honestly, the only guy I would want coming back for Quinn is Hischier.  He is a sure thing and would be a perfect 2C behind Petey.  That's how you build a team.  All the other guys are prospects or roster players.  If you are trading Quinn Hughes, you gotta have a star player coming back...

And mercer is a star in the making and so is nemec.

Just now, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. You're not guaranteed that any of them will amount to what Hughes is already at 23, and only getting better. 

Plus, the marketing factor for NJ, unite the 3 brothers. That has to be worth much more, or I'm not making that deal. 

And I just don’t know what they have that can give us that guarantee.

Will they part with Nemec, Marino, and Bahl? With Mercer and a pick? Probably not.

I mean that’s the kind of package we’d need for it to make any sense and even then our D would need a lot of work:

UFA Nemec

OEL Marino

Bahl Bear

Like is that even better?

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You’re right and there’s no way they do that which is why a deal ain’t gonna happen.

Also we gotta wait and see where we end up in the draft. We might not even need/want Hischier after that.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Mercer is only 21 yrs old now--- Age 20 --Gp 82 - 17 G - PTS 42 --   Age 21 -2022-23 GP 50-- G11 PTS 29  Future Top 6

Nemec 18  yrs old - RD - 2nd O/A 2022 -AHL GP 38 - PTS 17 Utica Comets  --U20 WJC  GP5 - 5 PTS - 1st team Allstar  

1st round draft pick and prospect ?? Could be 3 - 5 players? Would be the trade to really turn team in upward direction.

The deal would be a changer for Vancouver .. New Jersey will over pay and they have prospects to make it happen..

Vancouver would be crazy not to..It will happen sooner then later..

Devils will want 3 Hughes brothers great for marketing etc..

I agree. For the right deal. The  Canucks could really set themselves up nicely. 

Edited by rekker

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Erik Gudbranson, Adam Larsson, Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, Seth Jones, Noah Hanifin, Olli Juolevi.  That's just from 2011 to now.  All top 5 picks.  Would you trade Quinn Hughes for any of these guys, even with a 1st round pick thrown in and a 3rd line centre?

Also, Nemec isn't even the best Dman from his draft class.  David Jiricek is.  If Jiricek was involved in the deal, then that would peak my interest alot more...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 3
  • There it is 1